Total noob seeks knowledge...

Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Marble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant future
Default Total noob seeks knowledge...

Hi all, new poster here, but I've been lurking...

Mrs Marble and I are thinking seriously about a move away from the UK. Canada seems likely as she is half-Canadian. I'll try to explain our situation as well as poss, without rambling. I guess what I'm after is a thread full of priceless nuggets of info...

She's 31. We've been married for just over a year. No kids yet, but she's trying!
She was born in Canada to a British father and Canadian mother. (parents later split and she grew up in England with Dad. Mum died in 2000.)
She currently holds a British passport with the place-of-birth entered as Newcastle, Ontario. (Dual-citizenship? born sept '76)
She's a teacher in a primary school and has a B.Ed hons.

I, on the other hand, have no such thing.
I have done many jobs (electronics, intruder alarm install, LAN install, driver etc) Driver currently and in the throes of starting a wedding photography business. Nothing you'd call a career... Self employed at the moment.

We have the house we live in, and her 1st house (rented out at the mo.)

Can someone give me a basic overview of the hoops we'd have to jump through to emigrate?
I've been, probably wrongly, thinking it will be easy given the wife's situation.
Can she get a Canadian passport? Would that be a benefit?

I'm assuming she'd get a job before we moved and I would 'pick up work' once we were there. Anyone know if she'd need additional training/qualifications? (she mentioned needing to learn Canadian history as a subject..)

Work permit for me..?

I think that will do for now. Any knowledge/pearls of wisdom greatly appreciated..

Marble.

Last edited by Marble; Oct 16th 2007 at 8:22 am.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:07 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total noob seeks knowledge...

Hi, Marble, and welcome to the crazy world of BE.

I saw in the other forum that most of your questions had been answered.

In other words, your wife is a Canadian citizen, your wife can sponsor you, your application is likely to take months rather than years, and your wife has to apply for accreditation as a teacher in Ontario.

To get a more thorough understanding than you could have gained from the brief answers you've received, I suggest you read the following:
  • BE Wiki article on Canadian Immigration, and all the subsidiary articles that flow from it

• Canadian government's website on Citizenship and Immigration

• Wiki on Job Hunting in Canada and all of its subsidiary articles. Sometimes it takes people a while to understand the cultural differences between the UK and Canada. I suggest you read all of the job hunting articles at least three times. I'm serious. I've seen posters on this forum who have claimed to have read the articles and who still have not absorbed their message.

• Wiki on Abbreviations and Acronyms (many of which are related to immigration)

• Wiki on Transporting Pets (I seem to recall there was a question about that in the other thread)

• Discussion thread entitled Tips on getting the most out of the forums
All the best with your quest to live in Canada.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Oct 16th 2007 at 10:20 am. Reason: Added link to article about Transporting Pets
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Marble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant futureMarble has a brilliant future

Thanks Judy for those links. I realize they were all here somewhere, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Lots of reading to do.....
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marble
Hi all, new poster here, but I've been lurking...

Mrs Marble and I are thinking seriously about a move away from the UK. Canada seems likely as she is half-Canadian. I'll try to explain our situation as well as poss, without rambling. I guess what I'm after is a thread full of priceless nuggets of info...

She's 31. We've been married for just over a year. No kids yet, but she's trying!
She was born in Canada to a British father and Canadian mother. (parents later split and she grew up in England with Dad. Mum died in 2000.)
She currently holds a British passport with the place-of-birth entered as Newcastle, Ontario. (Dual-citizenship? born sept '76)
In that case she is a Canadian citizen also. Does she have her Canadian birth certificate?

Any children you have born in the U.K. will be Canadian citizens (by descent) automatically.

She's a teacher in a primary school and has a B.Ed hons.
She will need to check if her teaching qualifications are recognised in the province/territory she plans to teach in.

I've been, probably wrongly, thinking it will be easy given the wife's situation.
Can she get a Canadian passport? Would that be a benefit?
Eh ... yes.

I'm assuming she'd get a job before we moved and I would 'pick up work' once we were there. Anyone know if she'd need additional training/qualifications? (she mentioned needing to learn Canadian history as a subject..)

Work permit for me..?
Spouse migration visa for you. You then will be a Canadian permanent resident with no need for work permit.

After 3 years in Canada then you can apply for Canadian citizenship. You will need to do a test for that. (not a difficult one).
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

egomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to allegomasseur is a name known to all

Hi Mr. Marble!

Me and my Canadian wife are going down the spousal sponsorhip route so I'm happy to give you any info. on what I've done so far! The CIC website and it's many forms (although) useful sometimes like to describe things the long way around! This website is really helpful though!

For example; we couldn't find the appendix D form (which is required when you eventually go for your medical) until I looked here at some threads!

Good luck!

Jodie
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:52 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Marble,

1. Your must obtain proof of Canadian citizenship first (birth certificate will be needed to apply for this)

2. Once she has proof of Canadian citizenship she may start sponsorship process.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks everybody for the replies. We're not planning a move for 3-5 yrs (want the kids to see their grandparents, esp when the footie is on!)
We'll get started on the passport app, then look at the timescales for my visa.
Would be nice to have everything pretty much ready to go ( as far as possible) before we up-sticks.

ego, I'll PM you soon.

Meanwhile, reading...

Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:34 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

No kids yet, but she's trying!

Maybe you could try 'helping' her??
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Christ! It's all I can do to stay out of her way!
Old Oct 17th 2007, 6:16 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Christ! It's all I can do to stay out of her way!
LMAO!