Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Told to find another Job by employer (TWP)

Told to find another Job by employer (TWP)

Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Chris Sully is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Told to find another Job by employer (TWP)

To sum up in a very briefly after months of disagreements and not seeing eye to eye with my boss he's told me to look for a job else where.
What are my options as I am currently over here on a TWP that only permits me to work for that employer ?
I have been here since last august.
Is there anyway of finding a new employer and getting my TWP swapped across ?
I am at my wits end here and wondering maybe if I should give up and head back to blighty
Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Told to find another Job by employer (TWP)

Originally Posted by Chris Sully
To sum up in a very briefly after months of disagreements and not seeing eye to eye with my boss he's told me to look for a job else where.
What are my options as I am currently over here on a TWP that only permits me to work for that employer ?
I am at my wits end here and wondering maybe if I should give up and head back to blighty
Sorry to hear that.

No, you would need to find another employer who could apply for an LMO - unless you are in Alberta and you qualify under their TWP pilot project - or else find another employer, see if they will nominate you to apply for PNP and get a TWP that way. There are other streams but those are the two that spring to mind.

Where are you and what is it that you do?

Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick response.

I am currently in Regina SK and am a Truck Mechanic
Old Mar 11th 2014, 10:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the Saskatchewan PNP program under 'designated trades' and see if it applies to you: http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/...skilled-worker - you wouldn't necessarily need an offer of a job if you meet the other criteria, but could get a TWP on the back of the nomination.

Old Mar 11th 2014, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

Is there any other avenues that involve moving province as an options

Many thanks again
Old Mar 11th 2014, 10:55 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

Many thanks again
You would still need to find an employer with a well advertised position that would go get another LMO and thus another TWP.

It's the risk of being here on a TWP.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 11:20 am
Banned

Thanks for the info.

Many thanks again
Saskatchewan you didn't necessarily need a job offer, which is why I thought it might appeal to you.

You could have a look at the other Provinces and see if there are options available to you: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Not sure if your trade is a regulated one or even on the list, but have a look at the Alberta TWP pilot project: https://www.albertacanada.com/files/...steam-pipe.pdf

Some require LMO approval, some do not.

Old Mar 11th 2014, 3:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Look up SK labour standards before you quit. 7 months make you a permanent employee, at the minimum you are entitled to 1 weeks notice or severance in lieu of. Not knowing the circumstances it is impossible to judge. Why does your employer want you out? Most disagreements are not grounds for dismissal, unless their is more to it than. If you leave voluntarily you may well give the employer an easy out and shoot yourself in the foot. If you have witnesses or written instructions to look for work elsewhere, this could be interpreted as dismissal.
If your employer sponsored you on a TWP, you may want to talk to an employment lawyer for advice.

Last edited by Aviator; Mar 11th 2014 at 3:17 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:32 am
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold

Might be worth a phone call to http://www.sasklabourrelationsboard.com/ or contacting
Labour Standards Division:
3rd Floor, 1870 Albert Street
Regina SK S4P 4W1
Toll Free: 1.800.667.1783
Tel: 306.787.2438 (Regina)
Fax: 306.787.4780

Apparently they don't take kindly to SK employers taking people on TWPs and then messing them about. They can offer advice, put you in touch with other organisations that can help
Old Mar 12th 2014, 2:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jwtimmon
Might be worth a phone call to http://www.sasklabourrelationsboard.com/ or contacting
Labour Standards Division:
3rd Floor, 1870 Albert Street
Regina SK S4P 4W1
Toll Free: 1.800.667.1783
Tel: 306.787.2438 (Regina)
Fax: 306.787.4780

Apparently they don't take kindly to SK employers taking people on TWPs and then messing them about. They can offer advice, put you in touch with other organisations that can help
Not really worth phoning them. Labour Standards are online, if an employer complies with the standard, there is bugger all they can and will do, on a TWP or not.

The OP would need to seek advice from a labour lawyer.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Look up SK labour standards before you quit. 7 months make you a permanent employee, at the minimum you are entitled to 1 weeks notice or severance in lieu of. Not knowing the circumstances it is impossible to judge. Why does your employer want you out? Most disagreements are not grounds for dismissal, unless their is more to it than. If you leave voluntarily you may well give the employer an easy out and shoot yourself in the foot. If you have witnesses or written instructions to look for work elsewhere, this could be interpreted as dismissal.
If your employer sponsored you on a TWP, you may want to talk to an employment lawyer for advice.

I totally agree. I think a consultation with an immigration lawyer is a must before quitting the job.

OP, you need to figure out what your options are before quitting. I obviously don't know what the issues are but when you take on a TWP position you have to recognize that you are in a bit of a bind in terms of employment mobility. Sometimes you just need to keep your head down, nose clean and tolerate as much crap as you can until you can obtain PR and employment mobility. Obviously everyone has their limits and only you know if this is an irreparable situation with your current employer. If it is irreparable, then definitely consult with an immigration lawyer before quitting.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to get another TWP.I knew truck drivers who changed companies half way thru their TWP.I knew 1 driver who went thru 3 TWP but his problem was he couldnt drive.In the trucking industry there are always assholes,so if you go back they will feel happy.Find a better job and kick on and good luck
Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

I totally agree. I think a consultation with an immigration lawyer is a must before quitting the job.

OP, you need to figure out what your options are before quitting. I obviously don't know what the issues are but when you take on a TWP position you have to recognize that you are in a bit of a bind in terms of employment mobility. Sometimes you just need to keep your head down, nose clean and tolerate as much crap as you can until you can obtain PR and employment mobility. Obviously everyone has their limits and only you know if this is an irreparable situation with your current employer. If it is irreparable, then definitely consult with an immigration lawyer before quitting.
Labour lawyer though, immigration lawyer won't be able to help with employment issues.