Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Today I will be mostly ..staring at my shiny new Visa!!

Today I will be mostly ..staring at my shiny new Visa!!

Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Today I will be mostly ..staring at my shiny new Visa!!

Ooo, lovely lovely lovely!! Sleep with your shiny new visa under your pillow so

1. It'll be nice and safe

and

2. When you wake up thinking its arrival was a dream, you can check and it will be real!

Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:33 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Huge congrats!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

dee999 is a jewel in the roughdee999 is a jewel in the roughdee999 is a jewel in the roughdee999 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lucyspoon
They arrived today!!!! Cannot believe it has finally happened!!!

From receiving our 90 day letter to receiving our Visa's it has taken exactly 5 months and 2 days. How quick is that!!

Anyway just wanted to post also that we had our Visa photos taken at snappy snaps and the man was very helpful - he said that the passport photo size needed was exactly the same as those taken in a booth, but that getting the exact head /profile measurements was the tricky bit and it was worth paying £1 more there than have them from a booth and get the measurements wrong and have to do it again.

Off to Toronto 22/09/09 to land and return here to sort things finally then aiming to go lock stock and barrel early 2010.......now the real fun begins!!!!!
IF i may ask how long from time of passport requests to when they returned them did it take????
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

How's your head this morning after all that celebrating???

Congratulations and good luck in your new life.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

lucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dee999
IF i may ask how long from time of passport requests to when they returned them did it take????
18 days..........
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

lucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant futurelucyspoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
How's your head this morning after all that celebrating???

Congratulations and good luck in your new life.
Thanks you - a great evening was enjoyed and I think finishing off on Brandies was the main problem!!!!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

rufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nicerufus2000 is just really nice

Congrats!!!

This is great news!

Helen
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Lucyspoon, that's fab news

Hope you had a good time at the Everest last night - haven't been there for years - good curries from what I remember
Old Apr 8th 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Congrats! You must be so excited!

Can we swap? Please? I'll buy you a few pints...
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit here. You say you're going to apply for SIN numbers and driving licence. Firstly check out your tax liability situation first.

If you have a SIN number then surely you'll be classed as a Canadian Resident and therefore start paying tax on your worldwide income as of that date and secondly how are you going to drive in the UK for the rest of your duration? You have to hand in your UK licence in order to receive Ontario driving licence and theres no going back, and yes, they do talk and will know you've handed it in so you can't play ignorant and pretend you've lost it.

Without a UK driving licence your car insurance is null and void. I think you should do some more research into "landing" and then going back to the UK immediately. Maybe you would be better off not landing until you have your worldly funds with you.

Any money received after you've landed will be taxed in Canada as classed as worldwide income. I'm not expert on tax as it bores me rigid but please ask someone on the forum for more advice, theres loads of experts on here and I know we had to cancel our initial flight out to Canada to "land" because we had some gratuity money coming our way and in the UK it would have been tax free but if resident of Canada they would have taken 43% away immediately. So we had to stick around in a hotel in London for 4 days waiting for the phone call from the bank to say it was in our UK bank account and then make a mad dash for the airport to "land" and start our new life. Contemplated whether to even reply to your post as don't want to dampen your spirits but I'd hate you to make expensive hic cups so soon. I'm so surprised that no one else has posted this to you already.