British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   In a Tissy over Occupations List! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/tissy-over-occupations-list-812388/)

Rexi Oct 17th 2013 3:51 am

In a Tissy over Occupations List!

Hi all

I am sure this plea for help has come up before so please re-route me to what I've missed / haven't spotted if you don't want to copy it again here but the 0, A & B thing really has me flustered :(

Every other aspect of planning is totally under control and I REALLY want to emigrate to Canada so am doing both one year work visas I can do first but I want to arm myself with as many chances to emigrate as possible and not having a uni degree hurts my points to start with.

I'm a Retail Store Manager with three years experience and another three years in Retail Supervisor roles before it, have been running my own internet retail business for a year and I am also a Licensed Door Supervisor in the UK with staff supervisor level experience in this trade also.

To me the NOC 2011 table says '062 Retail & Wholesale Trade Managers' under 0 and A- this seems high even with experience as you don't need a degree to run a multimillion pound store like I have...

As for the Door Supervisor / Security Work on the NOC list, I am completely confussled!

Please help as this is the only thing I can't get my head around but whichever profession would be more fruitful to an emigration application is what I will chase on my two years worth of work visas as my life's aim is to settle and become a Canadian!

Thanks in advance, I know it might sound dense but at the moment I can't see the wood for the trees and it's really early in the process for me to be taking on an immigration agency / lawyer just yet as it could be four years before I apply to emigrate but my planning has already started!

Regards

Rexi

christmasoompa Oct 17th 2013 7:53 am

Re: In a Tissy over Occupations List!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you're asking! What are you looking at and what questions do you have about those occupations?

If your aim is to move to Canada permanently from an IEC, then don't focus solely on the FSW program, as that's only one route out of 50+. You may find that PNP is a much better route to go down, so maybe start looking at that.

Having said that, tbh if you're 4 year away from applying for PR then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Things change every year - for instance it's expected that next year CIC will do away with the 'occupations in demand' list and go to an expression of interest system similar to Australia.

So if you're 4 years away from moving, then there's not a lot you can do at the moment, but best of luck when the time comes.

Rexi Oct 17th 2013 6:42 pm

Hi there

Thanks, the forum has given me loads of great advice already from reading through some of the older posts.

I just wanted to confirm whether I had read the skill levels correctly for Retail Management and what skill level the Door Security was as I couldn't find it at all on there.

I think with the reading I've done today in to visa options I will look at taking some situation specific advice from an agency as I don't want to waste my two years IEC allowance if I can use it doing things which will give me a better chance to move permanently although I see what you're saying about terms changing every year, hopefully it ends up in my favour! I would just like a goal to work towards and a plan for the future as I am starting the first visa next year hopefully so it could possibly be three years if I complete both then apply soon after.

manitobain Oct 17th 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rexi (Post 10949052)
Hi there

Thanks, the forum has given me loads of great advice already from reading through some of the older posts.

I just wanted to confirm whether I had read the skill levels correctly for Retail Management and what skill level the Door Security was as I couldn't find it at all on there.

I think with the reading I've done today in to visa options I will look at taking some situation specific advice from an agency as I don't want to waste my two years IEC allowance if I can use it doing things which will give me a better chance to move permanently although I see what you're saying about terms changing every year, hopefully it ends up in my favour! I would just like a goal to work towards and a plan for the future as I am starting the first visa next year hopefully so it could possibly be three years if I complete both then apply soon after.

if you plan on coming on IEC, which is a great way btw...do make sure you read through the different PNP options BEFORE you start your IEC in a province. Some do offer options at the moment to apply from IEC to PNP relatively easy and fast and from there to PR, others don't. Some are very iffy, if you started working in one Province and later turn to them, as it then looks like you only do that cause of the PNP option and not because you want to settle permanently in that province, which is the goal of each Provincial Nominee Program...so in that case PNP might not be granted.

Rexi Oct 17th 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 10949293)
if you plan on coming on IEC, which is a great way btw...do make sure you read through the different PNP options BEFORE you start your IEC in a province. Some do offer options at the moment to apply from IEC to PNP relatively easy and fast and from there to PR, others don't. Some are very iffy, if you started working in one Province and later turn to them, as it then looks like you only do that cause of the PNP option and not because you want to settle permanently in that province, which is the goal of each Provincial Nominee Program...so in that case PNP might not be granted.

Hi

Thanks for your response! Today I started looking at BCs PNP as BC is definitely where I want to go without doubt. (although when I'm permanent I definitely want to take holidays touring more of Canada so I'm open minded further down the line but as far as getting there, stick with what I know and fell in love with I think!)

I'm not sure I have my head around it all yet as still reading the BC site but I hadn't yet come across anything about converting working holiday visas to PR options like PNP so maybe I need to do some more googling of advice / info on this.

I think it's easy to glaze after reading tens of different websites, sometimes a pointer like this makes a world of difference so thanks!

manitobain Oct 17th 2013 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rexi (Post 10949315)
Hi

Thanks for your response! Today I started looking at BCs PNP as BC is definitely where I want to go without doubt. (although when I'm permanent I definitely want to take holidays touring more of Canada so I'm open minded further down the line but as far as getting there, stick with what I know and fell in love with I think!)

I'm not sure I have my head around it all yet as still reading the BC site but I hadn't yet come across anything about converting working holiday visas to PR options like PNP so maybe I need to do some more googling of advice / info on this.

I think it's easy to glaze after reading tens of different websites, sometimes a pointer like this makes a world of difference so thanks!

others will be around knowing more about BC PNP, as said before, some Provinces don't offer that option at all.

Novocastrian Oct 17th 2013 9:52 pm

What's a Door Supervisor? Seriously.

Rexi Oct 17th 2013 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10949368)
What's a Door Supervisor? Seriously.

It's a Politically Correct / Equal Opportunities / Public-Friendly nonsense term the government started using when they set up the SIA Gov Agency who regulate and license what older generations would call 'bouncers'.

They're trying to take away the old violent image of bouncers and make the job more about polite customer service, verbal situation diffusing and covering a venue's ass on the legal sides of it's liquor/events license in the current claim culture. It involves training courses, paying £250 every three years to renew the license, regular CRBs etc to stop violent nutcases being doormen and beating people for no real reason!

In the UK there are all different levels but the two common ones are Door Supervisors (clubs, alcohol etc) and Security workers (gate / property guards) Canada seems to roll it all in to the one 'Security Worker' title but BC has the same sort of licensing scheme as the UK.

Siouxie Oct 17th 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rexi (Post 10949315)
Hi

There are many threads on BE about changing from an IEC visa through various streams including PNP.

If you get an offer of a full time permanent job and your employer is willing to sponsor you, you then apply for BC PNP. If it's in one of the semi-skilled occupations, you will need to work for 9 months before applying. I know several people who have taken this route. Once you receive nomination approval, you can apply for a TWP whilst you are waiting for PR approval.

If you work for a year, in a qualifying job, you can apply for Canadian Experience Class.

If you have a skilled job offer (according to NOC code) you can apply for Federal Skilled Worker with job offer.

:)

Rexi Oct 17th 2013 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 10949438)
There are many threads on BE about changing from an IEC visa through various streams including PNP.

If you get an offer of a full time permanent job and your employer is willing to sponsor you, you then apply for BC PNP. If it's in one of the semi-skilled occupations, you will need to work for 9 months before applying. I know several people who have taken this route. Once you receive nomination approval, you can apply for a TWP whilst you are waiting for PR approval.

If you work for a year, in a qualifying job, you can apply for Canadian Experience Class.

If you have a skilled job offer (according to NOC code) you can apply for Federal Skilled Worker with job offer.

Hi thanks for this- I'm just not sure on how to search the forum other than flipping through pages which I've started but here are literally 1000s!

Both these options sound like my best two plans of action. I think this brings it back to my initially stated lack of understanding for the NOC system... Would you say the code I found for Store Manager sounds correct in your opinion and which of the two directions does this come under PNP or CEC?

Then again, for the Security part of my experience, I couldn't find what this comes under in the NOC at all so I can't work out what skill level or emigration scheme it would come out to.

This whole skill level thing is really the only thing that's giving me a stress headache! Temp Visa, relocating etc all don't worry or confuse me really it's just working out which emigration schemes I should be heading for so I can get my head down and make them happen :) If there's potential of me getting to PR application stages by the end of my 1st year visa then I will jump at them! Although do the proof of funds still apply for PR if you're already set up and working in the country? That is one of the things that has made me schedule further ahead for moving as I need to save up. Thanks for helping though, I know you lot must be bored of answering the same old newbie worries but all of these pointers are REALLY helping put my head straight on what I've read and are making me feel so much better so thank you!

Siouxie Oct 17th 2013 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rexi (Post 10949472)
Hi thanks for this- I'm just not sure on how to search the forum other than flipping through pages which I've started but here are literally 1000s!

Both these options sound like my best two plans of action. I think this brings it back to my initially stated lack of understanding for the NOC system... Would you say the code I found for Store Manager sounds correct in your opinion and which of the two directions does this come under PNP or CEC?

Then again, for the Security part of my experience, I couldn't find what this comes under in the NOC at all so I can't work out what skill level or emigration scheme it would come out to.

This whole skill level thing is really the only thing that's giving me a stress headache! Temp Visa, relocating etc all don't worry or confuse me really it's just working out which emigration schemes I should be heading for so I can get my head down and make them happen :) If there's potential of me getting to PR application stages by the end of my 1st year visa then I will jump at them! Although do the proof of funds still apply for PR if you're already set up and working in the country? That is one of the things that has made me schedule further ahead for moving as I need to save up. Thanks for helping though, I know you lot must be bored of answering the same old newbie worries but all of these pointers are REALLY helping put my head straight on what I've read and are making me feel so much better so thank you!

I am not sure whether you will manage to prove the qualifications and experience necessary for the Retail Trade Manager or not. You would need to check the details listed (main duties and description) and see if this is what you do and whether you can provide proof of it.

Otherwise, you could qualify under Retail Sales Supervisors, which is NOC code "B" (6211) and still classed as 'skilled' for immigration purposes.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...al18=0&val19=0

If you look at the Matrix, you can see what is skilled and what is unskilled.
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...ml/Matrix.html

'Bouncer' would come under Security Guards (NOC 6541) http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...al15=0&val16=0

To search the forum click http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php and input "IEC to PR" in the subject, choose 'show results as posts' then select the Canada Immigration forum.

Rexi Oct 18th 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 10949519)
I am not sure whether you will manage to prove the qualifications and experience necessary for the Retail Trade Manager or not. You would need to check the details listed (main duties and description) and see if this is what you do and whether you can provide proof of it.

Otherwise, you could qualify under Retail Sales Supervisors, which is NOC code "B" (6211) and still classed as 'skilled' for immigration purposes.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...al18=0&val19=0

If you look at the Matrix, you can see what is skilled and what is unskilled.
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...ml/Matrix.html

'Bouncer' would come under Security Guards (NOC 6541) http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/...al15=0&val16=0

To search the forum click http://britishexpats.com/forum/search.php and input "IEC to PR" in the subject, choose 'show results as posts' then select the Canada Immigration forum.

THANK YOU :D I think I finally understand it all now and I read the security link and it's skill level C so I am not as focused on doing my licensing in BC unless I want extra work.

Will defo concentrate on retail management as I have a selection of references I can use to prove my experience in the duties listed as well as a handful of little courses gained in the UK which I am already looking at taking when I get over there inc Workplace First Aid, H&S courses etc. that just dress a resume up a bit.

Thank you again for your help, I knew it was probably going to be pretty simple but with so many things to learn and consider I just wasn't coping with this little brain teaser! I really appreciate it :D Problem solved!

Novocastrian Oct 18th 2013 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Rexi (Post 10949398)
It's a Politically Correct / Equal Opportunities / Public-Friendly nonsense term the government started using when they set up the SIA Gov Agency who regulate and license what older generations would call 'bouncers'.

They're trying to take away the old violent image of bouncers and make the job more about polite customer service, verbal situation diffusing and covering a venue's ass on the legal sides of it's liquor/events license in the current claim culture. It involves training courses, paying £250 every three years to renew the license, regular CRBs etc to stop violent nutcases being doormen and beating people for no real reason!

In the UK there are all different levels but the two common ones are Door Supervisors (clubs, alcohol etc) and Security workers (gate / property guards) Canada seems to roll it all in to the one 'Security Worker' title but BC has the same sort of licensing scheme as the UK.

And you're surprised that you can't find a Canadian NOC code for this "profession"?

<shakes head>