Tired of Waiting. Get Married??

Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:03 am
Banned

garrett8787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tired of Waiting. Get Married??

Im Canadian, my girlfriends american. We tried the whole lmo temp work permit thing but it's just too hard to get where i live. The city grew too fast and everything was taken. So basically she can't get a job and im not willing to wait 100 years longer and have setback after setback any more. I've been to every place you think would have an lmo more than once but nothings opening up. We even have it easy i live 15 minutes from the border office so i could have just went down there and had it made up right then and there.

We went in about her going to school here as well but it's pretty much to late to be accepted then send away for a study visa application sooo pretty much in my mind there are 3 options and 2 of are not in my control.

We both feel like we're going to spend the rest of our lives together but neither one of us wants to get married for at least another year or two pretty much becasue we want to do things our way, not becasue it's our only option of living in the same f***ing Country (Im 21 she's 20).

I've been down to the border several times asking what to do but never got into what would happen if we get married. I think i've heard she can live here but not work or go to school for 8 months or something like that?? Then after that should be able to get a job and live here. Can someone fill me in on how that all works because it's sounding like the best and only option rather than waiting years for something else to come up. Any advice is appreciated
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:09 am
Banned

Default Re: Tired of Waiting. Get Married??

Had a work permit made up right there* is what i meant in the first paragraph
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Did you read this?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:35 am
Banned

no

Last edited by garrett8787; Jun 29th 2009 at 11:59 am.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Sarcasm? I hope not. In any case. Go read it! It might answer some of your questions.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, i live and work in Estevan.(did live in Estevan)...there are always jobs around, yes it has grown but people from all over Canada are moving this way as there is always work available..i think it depends on what it is u want to do as far as work goes..when i first got here i worked in a gas station u cant be too fussy..when your trying to establish a new life...work is work at the end of the day.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi, i live and work in Estevan.(did live in Estevan)...there are always jobs around, yes it has grown but people from all over Canada are moving this way as there is always work available..i think it depends on what it is u want to do as far as work goes..when i first got here i worked in a gas station u cant be too fussy..when your trying to establish a new life...work is work at the end of the day.
But are they jobs that he could get a LMO for? That's the issue, it's not just finding 'any job', it's finding a company that is prepared to go through the hassle of the LMO and can prove that they have advertised the job nationally and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job.

It's not a case of being 'too fussy', it's a case of being legally allowed to work that is the problem!!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

i do understand what u are saying....but i also cant see why people cant wait for the correct process like many others on here..people wait for 3+ years...when i worked in the gas station my employer there was prepared to send away for an LMO for my son so he can work there...so employer will go through the process think it depends on who u approach..and like i said there is loads of work here in Estevan just depends on what it is u are looking to do
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

i do understand what u are saying....but i also cant see why people cant wait for the correct process like many others on here..people wait for 3+ years...
Because they are in a relationship and want to be together?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

and again i can understand that..but my husband came to Canada before i did so we were seperated for a while and from his kids too..u have to do what u have to do to be together
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

i do understand what u are saying....but i also cant see why people cant wait for the correct process like many others on here..people wait for 3+ years...when i worked in the gas station my employer there was prepared to send away for an LMO for my son so he can work there...so employer will go through the process think it depends on who u approach..and like i said there is loads of work here in Estevan just depends on what it is u are looking to do
Oh, I see. I thought you had misunderstood the OP's requirements.

I do understand what you are saying, but do remember that the current economic climate is currently very different - it's incredibly unlikely now that a gas station would be able to get a LMO with so many Canadians unemployed. So things are a lot tougher now for foreign workers to try and get a TWP.

But yes, I agree that it takes people years and years to get to Canada and unfortunately patience is just one of the things you have to learn when dealing with immigration!