Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

Originally Posted by vettemaster

Good luck with the house hunting.
Thanks Vettemaster - I think we will need it!

Should be something coming along from March onwards. Failing which, I'm off down Canadian Tire for a couple of tents.

On the positive side, dog man was nice - he and Harvey the Dog got on well, so meeting the rest of the family at the weekend. Fingers crossed for a happy match and then that's one thing out of the way (even though I will be sad to see our lovely dog go to a new home).
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:34 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Renters do have other advantages though. Repairs and upkeep fall to the owner as do property taxes, building insurance etc.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Renters do have other advantages though. Repairs and upkeep fall to the owner as do property taxes, building insurance etc.
True.

What about water rates - do they come in with the property taxes (they do in Scotland, but not in England) - or are they billed to the occupier?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:47 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Water and electricity are responsibility of landlords in apartment buildings but not necessarily when renting houses. They are often a separate municipal charge.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:52 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Water and electricity are responsibility of landlords in apartment buildings but not necessarily when renting houses. They are often a separate municipal charge.
Very true Jim, we have forgotten what it is like to rent a house
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Jim - always good to know what's to go in the budget.

I thought of another plus - rentals seem to often come with appliances, so something else not needed immediately on landing.

I'm coming round to this renting lark.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Thanks Vettemaster - I think we will need it!

Should be something coming along from March onwards. Failing which, I'm off down Canadian Tire for a couple of tents.

On the positive side, dog man was nice - he and Harvey the Dog got on well, so meeting the rest of the family at the weekend. Fingers crossed for a happy match and then that's one thing out of the way (even though I will be sad to see our lovely dog go to a new home).
So sorry that you have to give your dog a new home Kaye, it must be very difficult for you and the family. I hope it goes well.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Violets, Tents are quite cheap in Canada or you could buy a Winnebago, at least that way you could see the whole of Canada
, not a bad idea . I have a couple of sleeping bags and an RV would be great , Cabot trail one week and maybe Jasper the next (transported by starship enterprise - might be too far to drive in a week ), wish I could , on list of things to do now .

On a serious note, it's really good to see information about rental properties and what is likely an included cost and what is not. I'm hoping that finding somewhere to rent wont be too difficult but I expect it will be a bit of a challenge also especially with our dog.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:43 pm

Appliances are virtually always included although some apartments have pay laundry rooms. But kitchen appliances will be included often including microwave ovens.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Appliances are virtually always included although some apartments have pay laundry rooms. But kitchen appliances will be included often including microwave ovens.
Thats really good to know, pay laundry seems okay, would not bother me too much as long as the building was pretty decent overall. I have seen some apartment buildings advertised in Winnipeg have these and things like a gym and most seem to have underground parking which would be handy also.

It's really brilliant that kitchen appliances are included because I really don't see the point in shipping them (just my own opinion). Also, somewhere like Walmart must surely sell small electrical items at a reasonable price (Im sure Asda store here in UK comes under or has some sort of Walmart connection and they sell lots of small electrical bits and pieces - iron, juicer, coffee maker etc.). Certainly would be nice not to have to worry about washing machines and cooker initially as I would prefer focus my time on getting a decent car and the actual apartment/home rental.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:43 am
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Violets are blue
Thats really good to know, pay laundry seems okay, would not bother me too much as long as the building was pretty decent overall. I have seen some apartment buildings advertised in Winnipeg have these and things like a gym and most seem to have underground parking which would be handy also.

It's really brilliant that kitchen appliances are included because I really don't see the point in shipping them (just my own opinion). Also, somewhere like Walmart must surely sell small electrical items at a reasonable price (Im sure Asda store here in UK comes under or has some sort of Walmart connection and they sell lots of small electrical bits and pieces - iron, juicer, coffee maker etc.). Certainly would be nice not to have to worry about washing machines and cooker initially as I would prefer focus my time on getting a decent car and the actual apartment/home rental.
Hi Violets, It is probably advisable not to bring kitchen appliances anyway. Remember most things in Canada run on 110v supply like the good old USA. I know that some major appliances may run on 220-240v in Canada. I know that anything you do bring may have to be stepped down/converted anyway. We have already bought some small appliances while we were in the USA over the years as they are generally quite cheap over there. You could say we were planning ahead

It always amazes me how small the US/Canadian mains plugs are, compared to our chunky 3 pin 13amp plugs are in the UK. We must have the biggest plugs in the world

Last edited by vettemaster; Feb 20th 2013 at 9:47 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:17 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Violets are blue

Helpful info in Canadian electrics http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=282
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

AVACON is on a distinguished road

All

Anyone heard or read any posts from lovely clouds recently? He appears to have vanished since landing in MB, or has he been abducted by MB aliens

Lovely clouds, I was so looking forward to regular updates on the housing front!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:33 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Hi Violets, It is probably advisable not to bring kitchen appliances anyway. Remember most things in Canada run on 110v supply like the good old USA. I know that some major appliances may run on 220-240v in Canada. I know that anything you do bring may have to be stepped down/converted anyway. We have already bought some small appliances while we were in the USA over the years as they are generally quite cheap over there. You could say we were planning ahead

It always amazes me how small the US/Canadian mains plugs are, compared to our chunky 3 pin 13amp plugs are in the UK. We must have the biggest plugs in the world
My parents took over some 3 pin sockets and got them fitted in their kitchen and living room/basement. Works great and no need for adapters, we are thinking of doing the same. Their microwave also worked fine in the kitchen.

I know someone who rents apartments in Brandon and someone who works for Century 21 (Family friends)

Regards

Andrew
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:54 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
My parents took over some 3 pin sockets and got them fitted in their kitchen and living room/basement. Works great and no need for adapters, we are thinking of doing the same. Their microwave also worked fine in the kitchen.

I know someone who rents apartments in Brandon and someone who works for Century 21 (Family friends)

Regards

Andrew
As long as the voltage and current is the same there should not be an issue. We also have many friends in Manitoba??, we chat regularly but it is also a matter of electrical safety. I would have thought it would have made more sense though to use Canadian/US sockets rather that convert to UK sockets.

I wonder where you would stand Insurance wise if there was an electrical fire?

Last edited by vettemaster; Feb 20th 2013 at 1:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.