Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:24 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all
Default Re: timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
Great news Andrew, next stop the medicals looking forward to a few beers already in Manitoba!
John
Tony_Tiger
Quote:Great news. Good to hear Andrew. Keep us updated on the forum.

John and Raj thanks for your good wishes, as you know we were going whether we have our PR or not, so we have booked one way flights for the 7th Aug with Iclandic air and Air Canada. One way to Winnipeg, 2 adults 2 kids £2000, that's good. So if we have to have visitor status for a couple of months then s be it. When we get our PR we will just flag pole to activate. Going to stay with my mum and dad for a few months until we are ready for jobs and getting a house. We are all very excited and having a wee celebration for another milestone passed.

John are you a grandad yet?

Regards

Andrew
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:26 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Violets are blue
Congratulations Andrew, great news for sure, one step closer is never a bad thing
Thanks violets, when is your landing date?

Regards

Andrew
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=chiefmissile

Regards

Andrew[/QUOTE]

Great news Andrew for you Cathie and the children, Aug will soon be here! No news of being a Grandad yet! She is keeping us waiting!
John
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Tony_Tiger
Quote:Great news. Good to hear Andrew. Keep us updated on the forum.

John and Raj thanks for your good wishes, as you know we were going whether we have our PR or not, so we have booked one way flights for the 7th Aug with Iclandic air and Air Canada. One way to Winnipeg, 2 adults 2 kids £2000, that's good. So if we have to have visitor status for a couple of months then s be it. When we get our PR we will just flag pole to activate. Going to stay with my mum and dad for a few months until we are ready for jobs and getting a house. We are all very excited and having a wee celebration for another milestone passed.

Regards

Andrew
Hi Andrew

We called Icelandair a few weeks back and they said they would not let us board the flights if we only had one-way tickets and our PR hadn't come through (ie we were on visitor visas)!

We wanted to book for June flights to Halifax, but weren't able to because they were quite adamant about this and we are still awaiting PPR then COPR.

Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:45 pm
Andrew

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Hi Andrew

We called Icelandair a few weeks back and they said they would not let us board the flights if we only had one-way tickets and our PR hadn't come through (ie we were on visitor visas)!

We wanted to book for June flights to Halifax, but weren't able to because they were quite adamant about this and we are still awaiting PPR then COPR.

Lets hope we have our COPR, will call them in the morning to see what they say. I was told that you can show proof of your impending PR status by showing your nomination letter, proof of application and a support letter from MPNP? However lets wait and see, the gamble may pay off or maybe not. Nothing ventured nothing gained...........I think? But thanks for the heads up.

Regards

Andrew
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Lets hope we have our COPR, will call them in the morning to see what they say. I was told that you can show proof of your impending PR status by showing your nomination letter, proof of application and a support letter from MPNP? However lets wait and see, the gamble may pay off or maybe not. Nothing ventured nothing gained...........I think? But thanks for the heads up.

Regards

Andrew
Well Icelandair flights are changeable anyway (for a fee!), so you could always move them on if it becomes a problem.

Also, I read somewhere (probably elsewhere in this forum) that to get round this, someone just booked a fully refundable return portion with whatever airline - then cancelled it after they had arrived in Canada and got a full refund.

We simply haven't the funds available to do that, but if you do, that might be a workaround if I-A say to you what they did to us.

Hopefully won't come to it and you will have your COPR by August.

Just didn't want you to rock up at the airport, kids in tow, to be refused boarding!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Thanks violets, when is your landing date?

Regards

Andrew
No landing date just yet Andrew, trying to get all the documentation together and get final plans into gear . Will make a decision on the date soon, we have until May 31st, so not long really for sure. Also I have a couple of work commitments that I have to complete before flying away. Getting a little excited to be honest .
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:01 pm
Andrew

Well Icelandair flights are changeable anyway (for a fee!), so you could always move them on if it becomes a problem.

Also, I read somewhere (probably elsewhere in this forum) that to get round this, someone just booked a fully refundable return portion with whatever airline - then cancelled it after they had arrived in Canada and got a full refund.

We simply haven't the funds available to do that, but if you do, that might be a workaround if I-A say to you what they did to us.

Hopefully won't come to it and you will have your COPR by August.

Just didn't want you to rock up at the airport, kids in tow, to be refused boarding!
Hi thanks, appreciate you giving us the heads up, yeah that would have been really bad rocking up with the kids and being refused boarding! What an anti-climax that would have been. Think i will do what you say and book a refundable return. So you think that Icelandic air would accept the booking confirmation of return ticket with other airline as proof? We have had the heads up that Canadian immigration would have no problem with letting us in, provided we have proof of funds and evidence of our application progress (UCI number, letter of support etc). Will have a look for refundable one way flight back and book if i find one. To be honest the icelandic air deal was a steal for August and its not going to get any cheaper than that so for us it was worth the risk..........hopefully!

Thanks again for the heads up, really appreciated, was just about to drown our sorrows after our mini celebration!

Good luck with the rest of your application process, no doubt we will be around on this forum for some time to come, so until next time.

Regards

Andrew
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks, appreciate you giving us the heads up, yeah that would have been really bad rocking up with the kids and being refused boarding! What an anti-climax that would have been. Think i will do what you say and book a refundable return. So you think that Icelandic air would accept the booking confirmation of return ticket with other airline as proof? We have had the heads up that Canadian immigration would have no problem with letting us in, provided we have proof of funds and evidence of our application progress (UCI number, letter of support etc). Will have a look for refundable one way flight back and book if i find one. To be honest the icelandic air deal was a steal for August and its not going to get any cheaper than that so for us it was worth the risk..........hopefully!

Thanks again for the heads up, really appreciated, was just about to drown our sorrows after our mini celebration!

Good luck with the rest of your application process, no doubt we will be around on this forum for some time to come, so until next time.

Regards

Andrew
I don't think it is Canadian immigration that are the problem. The airlines just don't want to risk you not being let in, and it being at their cost to fly you back home.

Give IA a call and see what they say, but they told us that was their policy. (Please let me know if they tell you something different!)

I don't think it matters who your return flight is with - just so long as you have a return ticket. I believe Canadian Affair have the same policy with one-way tickets. We have travelled to Canada on a one-way with CA and back with Icelandair and no problems as we could prove we had a return ticket.

What annoyed me was that neither airline actually told us this when we asked about one-way flights - we had to specifically ask them (and even the girl at IA had to go away and ask a colleague). If this IS their policy they need to tell people when they book one-ways.

Don't worry too much - you might have your PR anyway by August, and then there's no problem and if not, then there are ways around it - even if it means changing the flights.

We're possibly going to go ahead and book with Icelandair if we don't get our PPR by the end of January - as you say, prices are rising. We don't plan to go until mid-June - I would really hope we have COPR by then as our meds run out 10th July! If not, well, we will just have to change the flights and stand the charges.

It's a gamble either way - do nothing and watch the prices rise or book and maybe lose money.

I just tried to find that thread where the guy booked a full refundable one way ticket (Canada to UK) but I can't find it. Just thinking - might be an expensive option for a 100% refundable ticket, unless you have mega-limit on your credit card!!

Good luck to you with everything too!

Last edited by Kaye5; Jan 14th 2013 at 9:04 am.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:45 am
Andrew

I don't think it is Canadian immigration that are the problem. The airlines just don't want to risk you not being let in, and it being at their cost to fly you back home.

Give IA a call and see what they say, but they told us that was their policy. (Please let me know if they tell you something different!)

I don't think it matters who your return flight is with - just so long as you have a return ticket. I believe Canadian Affair have the same policy with one-way tickets. We have travelled to Canada on a one-way with CA and back with Icelandair and no problems as we could prove we had a return ticket.

What annoyed me was that neither airline actually told us this when we asked about one-way flights - we had to specifically ask them (and even the girl at IA had to go away and ask a colleague). If this IS their policy they need to tell people when they book one-ways.

Don't worry too much - you might have your PR anyway by August, and then there's no problem and if not, then there are ways around it - even if it means changing the flights.

We're possibly going to go ahead and book with Icelandair if we don't get our PPR by the end of January - as you say, prices are rising. We don't plan to go until mid-June - I would really hope we have COPR by then as our meds run out 10th July! If not, well, we will just have to change the flights and stand the charges.

It's a gamble either way - do nothing and watch the prices rise or book and maybe lose money.

I just tried to find that thread where the guy booked a full refundable one way ticket (Canada to UK) but I can't find it. Just thinking - might be an expensive option for a 100% refundable ticket, unless you have mega-limit on your credit card!!

Good luck to you with everything too!
Hi thanks again for your reply, just called IA, as you said they were very unsure and just said that they might. I told them that I would have proof of PR application and nomination letter from the province of Manitoba, she just said that she was not sure and that it would be up to the check in staff at the time of check in? So belt and braces I am going to book a fully refundable return flight for the 6th Feb 2014 and then cancel this once we are in.

Hopefully we won't have any delays in processing our application, I was reading all about yours, so hopefully you will be on your way soon with all the necessary paper work. I read somewhere that the London VO was very slow last year because of the Olympics, so hopefully this year they will have more time to process applications, especially if they are not accepting FSW applications until May of this year?

Anyway I have time to sort out fixes etc for all eventualities, so still looking forward to 7th Aug

Keep in touch.

Regards

Andrew
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks again for your reply, just called IA, as you said they were very unsure and just said that they might. I told them that I would have proof of PR application and nomination letter from the province of Manitoba, she just said that she was not sure and that it would be up to the check in staff at the time of check in? So belt and braces I am going to book a fully refundable return flight for the 6th Feb 2014 and then cancel this once we are in.

Hopefully we won't have any delays in processing our application, I was reading all about yours, so hopefully you will be on your way soon with all the necessary paper work. I read somewhere that the London VO was very slow last year because of the Olympics, so hopefully this year they will have more time to process applications, especially if they are not accepting FSW applications until May of this year?

Anyway I have time to sort out fixes etc for all eventualities, so still looking forward to 7th Aug

Keep in touch.

Regards

Andrew
They "might" let you on!? Not very comforting, is it, to think you might / might not be able to get on!

Belt and braces it is then! Just make sure it is 100% refundable and not just the taxes/charges! I'm sure you've thought of that.

Good luck - nothing for us again today yet... starting to get a little bored by it all (bit of an understatement, that).
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:40 pm
B.E.Enthusiast

vettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nicevettemaster is just really nice

Hi everyone , congrats Andrew! One step closer to getting PR. We have had a letter from London today! It contained the dredded sealed white envelope and its for my other half! We have 90 days to take the white letter to the Dmp and carry out whatever is in the envelope?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vettemaster
Hi everyone , congrats Andrew! One step closer to getting PR. We have had a letter from London today! It contained the dredded sealed white envelope and its for my other half! We have 90 days to take the white letter to the Dmp and carry out whatever is in the envelope?

Oh no!!! It's taken them 6 months to send you for further meds?!

You sound very calm.

But... congratulations on hearing something further at last.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Wow, on one hand its brilliant that you have finally had some movement, on the other hand have you any idea what it could be for? Will you have to travel far for the appointment and are you going to get onto it straight away or will you need a couple of weeks due to work or anything?

I really hope its just something small and that it will go well and be processed through very quickly. Best of luck Vettemaster, let us know when you are going and we will all be thinking of you. Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:24 pm
Andrew

Mate I feel for you, can't imagine how you are keeping so calm I hope everything goes well and you will soon be on your way. Cathie and I are thinking of you both, keep

Best Regards

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.