Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future
Default Re: timescales for PNP/ Pr applications from outside Canada

He all

A quick update, we arrived in NS just over a week ago and my its been busy.

The Flights were with icelandair were fine with no delays, i have to agree with kaye and say that 3 hr wait in iceland was a nightmare. They seem to be doing construction work there, so 3 shops open, it also seems to be a hub for US connecting flights which were all delayed so we spent 3 hours sat on the floor.

Our landing experience was pretty good, we went straight through to immigration, they didnt really ask anything just spent 20 mins stamping and filling in our forms, they did not ask for proof of funds. Customs again just stamped our goods to follow list without really looking and they never looked at our goods accompanying at all.

We spent a few nights nr Halifax where we managed to get our SINS, medicare, phones and licences. A tip for those who land around the 30th, 31st or 1st of the month, the locals leave their car renewals until the very last day, we tried twice to get our licences exchanged but it was packed with several hrs wait. 3rd attempt we were there 10 mins before opening and about 6th in the queue. Bought an suv, a few yr old but hoping it will be ok, its gone in today for a safety inspection just for my peice of mind. We got car insurance with bauld, it was very similar to johnsons but as we were sat in their office it was easier to do that.

Got keys to our rental place, wow waking up to a lake every morning is amazing, although the jury is still out until after winter. Also having no immediate neighbours is strange. The kids loving it tho, weve purchased kayaks and fishing gear and were in there everyday day, in fact the playstations and tv seem to be a thing of the past

The dogs arrived yesterday,we used ladyhaye as we needed them to go in boarding for a week, they arrived looking knackered but in good health. A quick bath and theyve settle right in, they are little things and its quite funny watching them jump around everytime something nibbles.

The only hiccup weve had is our shipping. It wasdue to set off from liverpool june 22nd, and was due to arrive in halifax port 30th june, id not heard anything so I did a bit of searching and tracked it online, it turns out to not even have left england yet. Not sure why, I emailed whites to see what happened and no response, it would have been nice to informed by someone. So its now due to arrive 9th july, so weve had to nip out and buy sleeping bags, a few necessary kitchen items and hope it arrives soon.

Other than that its great to be here, everyone, everywhere had said "welcome to canada" which is nice. Job hunting starts next week.
Ok so not not a quick update, and my weve done a lot in just one week. Good luck to those still waiting and keep those updates coming.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:48 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by family_of_4
He all

The Flights were with icelandair were fine with no delays, i have to agree with kaye and say that 3 hr wait in iceland was a nightmare. They seem to be doing construction work there, so 3 shops open, it also seems to be a hub for US connecting flights which were all delayed so we spent 3 hours sat on the floor.

Our landing experience was pretty good, we went straight through to immigration, they didnt really ask anything just spent 20 mins stamping and filling in our forms, they did not ask for proof of funds. Customs again just stamped our goods to follow list without really looking and they never looked at our goods accompanying at all.

We spent a few nights nr Halifax where we managed to get our SINS, medicare, phones and licences. A tip for those who land around the 30th, 31st or 1st of the month, the locals leave their car renewals until the very last day, we tried twice to get our licences exchanged but it was packed with several hrs wait. 3rd attempt we were there 10 mins before opening and about 6th in the queue. Bought an suv, a few yr old but hoping it will be ok, its gone in today for a safety inspection just for my peice of mind. We got car insurance with bauld, it was very similar to johnsons but as we were sat in their office it was easier to do that.

Got keys to our rental place, wow waking up to a lake every morning is amazing, although the jury is still out until after winter. Also having no immediate neighbours is strange. The kids loving it tho, weve purchased kayaks and fishing gear and were in there everyday day, in fact the playstations and tv seem to be a thing of the past

The dogs arrived yesterday,we used ladyhaye as we needed them to go in boarding for a week, they arrived looking knackered but in good health. A quick bath and theyve settle right in, they are little things and its quite funny watching them jump around everytime something nibbles.

The only hiccup weve had is our shipping. It wasdue to set off from liverpool june 22nd, and was due to arrive in halifax port 30th june, id not heard anything so I did a bit of searching and tracked it online, it turns out to not even have left england yet. Not sure why, I emailed whites to see what happened and no response, it would have been nice to informed by someone. So its now due to arrive 9th july, so weve had to nip out and buy sleeping bags, a few necessary kitchen items and hope it arrives soon.

Other than that its great to be here, everyone, everywhere had said "welcome to canada" which is nice. Job hunting starts next week.
Ok so not not a quick update, and my weve done a lot in just one week. Good luck to those still waiting and keep those updates coming.
Congratulations, great update. Hope all goes well for the future. As for the rest of us its back to the waiting game for PPR

This thread is slowly dying of death, by the time I land, everyone will be long gone.

Can you remember the initials of your case officer, was it EFL?

Good luck

Andrew
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations on a successful landing and first week Family of 4!

Sounds like us - nowhere near as hard as we were expecting. We feel quite settled here already (but then we move around a lot, so I guess we are used to it).

Our shipping arrived early and has caused problems as our landlord's furniture is still here in the house - he is taking it all out next week.

Sadly, tv and playstations are not a thing of the past here. Down to living in town (we are in Bridgewater on the south shore) maybe (or just my teenagers are addicted probably)... and the heat isn't helping as we don't do heat very well (hell, this is why we didn't go to Ontario)! We're a bit trapped in the house due to the heat and also as my OH got a call centre job, he has the car all day every day, which means we can't get to the beach. Walking in the heat is awful, so we can't go far on foot. Good that he has a job but bad that we are stuck. Hoping the weekend stays good as we plan on heading to Risser's!

The kids last night discovered the "Y" and are taking advantage of the youth groups there (I got my hands on the car at last, so could drive them there - my first solo drive in NS)! There's also a lot of free stuff going on, which they will also be doing, like swims at the outdoor pool, summer camp at the library and open air cinema (maybe the tv and playstation will start to take a back seat after all)?

I got a part time job with Scotia Bank, which is great as I only want a few days over the summer. Will start to look for something more substantial towards the end of the summer holidays.

Grocery shopping has been fine - we use the cheap stores and honestly can't say we have spent more than we do in the UK. We found a lot of the processed food is very high in salt, so I got a huge N American cookbook which I picked up for $2 in a second hand bookstore. Cooking from scratch seems to be the way forward, although I have yet to stop burning stuff in the oven.

Booze - we found a new business which brews your homebrew wine for you. Works out about $4 a bottle for the full service - so in 4 weeks I'll have 29 bottles to go at. Fortunately, I can drink anything and as the cheapest in the liquor store is $10 seems good to me.

So, no real problems but I do get a slight sense of "same shit, different wallpaper" - which we expected - but I do like the wallpaper. Having access to the car next week (OH is starting car sharing) will make an enormous difference as I can get about to all the places we love (which is why we are here).

We are still waiting for houses to sell in the UK. We rented out our main home and the tenants are hoping to buy it (although they have been upfront and said it won't be for a few years). We have part shares in two other houses which will enable us to buy here if they sell.

I think it will take about a year to have everything in place. After that, I want to explore Canada a bit, visit my family and friends in Ottawa and Toronto, etc etc.

So all in all, a positive start I think - it has all been much easier than we thought, although as the savings pot diminishes I may start to panic somewhat. My OH's job will help slow that down, even at just over minimum wage it will make a huge difference having an income so quickly.

Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by family_of_4
He all

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Congratulations on a successful landing and first week Family of 4!

Family of 4 where are you living? We live on a lake and I don't tire of the view. Youngest son is swimming in the lake as I type. Older son is in his room on the computer! You can't win!

Kaye5 you sound as though you have it all worked out. I couldn't agree more, it's just the wallpaper that changes... Same busy life...still have to pay the bills!

As for chiefmissile, you are not forgotten!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Youngest son is swimming in the lake as I type. Older son is in his room on the computer! You can't win!

Glad it's not just us!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5

Glad it's not just us!
No, you're not alone! Just dragged oldest out on the boat. What a hardship...he kind of enjoyed it...but then went straight back to his computer! Lol
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
No, you're not alone! Just dragged oldest out on the boat. What a hardship...he kind of enjoyed it...but then went straight back to his computer! Lol
Will be dragging them to the outdoor pool soon. Then they will go right back to the computer....

Ah well. Wasn't for the kids I came here, hee hee hee!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

Dandnhill -Were living by armstrong lake, nr windsor.

Andrew - thanks , not sure who was the case officer.

At the moment still feels like a holiday, im sure once our stuff arrives and we get work it may sink in. Job hunting starts monday.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vettemaster
Hello buddy,

Yes I am still here,although we have been very busy too! I also did not appear as there was a dodgy google warning every time I tried to read this thread.
I did let everyone know how the landing process went. Maybe you missed it?

We still have so much to do in the UK. I know even GC44 is back visiting the UK at the moment

It did take a while to sink in that we are now permanent residents of Canada though after we went through immigration at Toronto.

To be honest our original plans were to stay in the UK another 4-6 months or so, but now we have decided since we have been back, to go very soon as there has been a chain of events in our UK lifestyle lately that are making us want to leave. This is at work, home and where we live
Hello Vette,

uh oh, that sounds too familiar, sorry to learn that. B.S. happened once more, right?

Get your things ready, wear a clean shirt and hop on the next possible flight over!
Old Jul 7th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

@Kaye 5 and family_of_4: congrats on your landing, and I am glad to see that you like it so far - at least the different wallpaper:-) -, seems to be a real positive start for all of you guys at the end of the day.

@Avacon, Jay and Chief Missile: we keep the fingers crossed for you

Also for anyone else I may have forgotten.

@Violets: are you still in the UK? Do you already know when you will arrive here?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:01 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Conmar
@Kaye 5 and family_of_4: congrats on your landing, and I am glad to see that you like it so far - at least the different wallpaper:-) -, seems to be a real positive start for all of you guys at the end of the day.

@Violets: are you still in the UK? Do you already know when you will arrive here?
Thanks Conmar,

Its been nearly 9 weeks since our medicals and nearly 3 months since we went "In Process" not sure how much longer its going to take, but not really that bothered anymore, will be landing as visitors on the 7th Aug come hell or high water, looking forward to our extended Canadian holiday

Regards

Andrew
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have to say, the wallpaper is beautiful - two beaches today and beautiful unspoilt scenery.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

AVACON is on a distinguished road

Conmar

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

We will join you soon
Old Jul 13th 2013, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Sammyjo3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help in explaining a bit more about PNP? As far as I can gather this is a slightly longer route to go down, but you will obtain PR is that correct?

We were looking into getting a TWP, but this also looks like it might be a viable option?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Sammyjo3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also do you apply for this by yourself before you go or do you need an employer to help you spy for it? (Sorry for all the questions I'm trying to get my head round all the options )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.