Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timelines/order of events for spousal visas

Timelines/order of events for spousal visas

Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:53 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timelines/order of events for spousal visas

What's the order of events for a spousal visa? I think I have an idea but can someone tell me if this is even close?:

-Sponsorship papers submitted to Canada by sponsor
-If approved, application forms sent to applicant (for me, in the US),
-Applicants' completed forms sent to Buffalo, NY (again, in my case)
-If accepted, an interview date is given
-Interview takes place
-Passport request made
-PR visa is issued by mail?

If that is near correct, when do the background check and medical take place, or when are they submitted along the process?

Juliet
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

peterevanscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Timelines/order of events for spousal visas

Hi Juliet,

I sponsored my wife from the UK, and she just got her passport request. So I have a good sense of how this is supposed to work.

The process you describe is not correct. It is no longer the case that a spousal sponsor submits his/her application seperately. You now submit the sponsorship application combined with the immigration application, all in the same package, to the CIC office in Mississauga, Ontario. Also in this package would include proof of your medical exam, plus your police certificates - both are obtained before you send in the application. CIC instituted this procedure in order to streamline the process for spousal immigrants.

What will happen is the CIC staff in Mississauga will look at the sponsorship application first. If it's approved, then your immigration application will be sent to Buffalo for processing. They may ask you to come in for an interview at this point, or they may not (usually not, as long as the bone fides of your relationship are obvious and proved). If the immigration application is approved, the Buffalo visa office will ask you, by mail, to submit your U.S. passport to them so they can glue in the PR visa. Once you get it back, you'll be able to land in Canada and become a Permanent Resident.

I strongly suggest that you go to the following website, which has all the forms and instructions necessary for what you are looking to do. Pay particular attention to the two guides: "Guide to Sponsorship" and "Guide to Immigrating."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html

I hope this helps.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 2:09 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timelines/order of events for spousal visas

peterevanscott- Thanks for clarifying the process! This will be very helpful to us

Juliet