Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline for Test and Ceremony for Citizenship

Timeline for Test and Ceremony for Citizenship

Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

chinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timeline for Test and Ceremony for Citizenship

Hi there,

Does anyone have any idea (rough guide/average) how far into the processing time (that on the CIC website is currently 19 months), is the Test and Ceremony for citizenship usually?
I'm guessing the Ceremony would be nearer the end of the period, but the test??

Thanks very much
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline for Test and Ceremony for Citizenship

Originally Posted by chinn
Hi there,

Does anyone have any idea (rough guide/average) how far into the processing time (that on the CIC website is currently 19 months), is the Test and Ceremony for citizenship usually?
I'm guessing the Ceremony would be nearer the end of the period, but the test??

Thanks very much
There is no one answer, some offices do the test and ceremony on the same day, some have a month or twos wait for the ceremony, it all depends on which office is processing you Im afraid. I know its taking a stupidly long time now compared to a few years ago though...

The ceremony is , by definition, the end of the period
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
There is no one answer, some offices do the test and ceremony on the same day, some have a month or twos wait for the ceremony, it all depends on which office is processing you Im afraid. I know its taking a stupidly long time now compared to a few years ago though...

The ceremony is , by definition, the end of the period
Thanks for that...
So, it seems that in general the test and ceremony would be nearer the end of the 19 months... maybe together, maybe a few months between...

Would i be right in thinking then that neither would likely be in the first 12 months following submitting the application..??
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that...
So, it seems that in general the test and ceremony would be nearer the end of the 19 months... maybe together, maybe a few months between...

Would i be right in thinking then that neither would likely be in the first 12 months following submitting the application..??
Probably... but there are no guarantees and you would need to monitor you mail as there is usually not a lot of notice given of either the test or the ceremony.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Probably... but there are no guarantees and you would need to monitor you mail as there is usually not a lot of notice given of either the test or the ceremony.
Ok, thanks alot
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:43 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

We got our test date almost a year to the date of our application being sent. On the test date we were told that we would be invited to a ceremony (if we passed the test) within 1 - 3 months.
ps. we are in Alberta (don't know how much of a difference that makes!)
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:31 pm

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise033
We got our test date almost a year to the date of our application being sent. On the test date we were told that we would be invited to a ceremony (if we passed the test) within 1 - 3 months.
ps. we are in Alberta (don't know how much of a difference that makes!)
A quick update on our timeline....Our ceremony date is October 13th!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

A quick update on our timeline....Our ceremony date is October 13th!
ok great, thanks
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

I recently heard that at the ceremony/test they might ask you bring your passport and look through and ask where you were/why you left Canada at any given times. Is this correct?
I'm hoping to apply for citizenship and then go travelling (with someone checking mail) until needing to return for test/ceremony, at which point i will then stay in Canada.
Is this unrealistic? Has anyone heard of them checking? If they did ask where i was during the application process would it be unreasonable to say i was travelling - given that i will have been in Canada for 5 years!?

Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2011, 1:45 am

I recently heard that at the ceremony/test they might ask you bring your passport and look through and ask where you were/why you left Canada at any given times. Is this correct?
I'm hoping to apply for citizenship and then go travelling (with someone checking mail) until needing to return for test/ceremony, at which point i will then stay in Canada.
Is this unrealistic? Has anyone heard of them checking? If they did ask where i was during the application process would it be unreasonable to say i was travelling - given that i will have been in Canada for 5 years!?

Thanks
Yes they checked every date in our passports against what we had submitted on our application but that was on the test date. On the ceremony date, they checked our passports & drivers licenses but I think that was just for ID purposes?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Yes they checked every date in our passports against what we had submitted on our application but that was on the test date. On the ceremony date, they checked our passports & drivers licenses but I think that was just for ID purposes?
So it sounds like they are checking that what you submit in the application is accurate, and that you have in fact been in Canada as long as you claim. The time after sending the application in though wouldn't be included in the 'days present in Canada' (when i plan to travel) and so do you think they'd be bothered if they saw that i left for that period?

Thanks