Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
There's no such thing. For either.

If you mean you got PR as a Common Law partner of a Canadian? Then Canada doesn't care for your status if your partner gets sponsored for British residency, but for the UK end, you have to be married, to get a spousal visa. You would continue to accrue days towards Canadian residency requirement (but not citizenship requirement) so long as you live with a Citizen partner, anywhere in the world.

If you mean you're accompanying your common-law partner from elsewhere in the world, then Canada recognises CL relationships for that, but again, for Britain, you'd need to be married to be able to sponsor them.
Are you sure about that? It's called a De-facto visa.

Unmarried Partner Visa UK | Get Expert Advice & Guidance

"The Unmarried Partner visa (also known as the UK defacto visa) allows the unmarried partner to enter or remain in the UK on the basis that they are in a relationship with a person who is present and 'settled in the UK'. 'Settled in the UK' means that you are ordinarily resident in the UK with no immigration restrictions on the length of your stay.

The Unmarried Partner visa applies to both heterosexual and same sex relationships provided that you can prove that your relationship is subsisting and has been in existence for two or more years."

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview

Partner routes

Partners are 2 people who are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship - you must be able to prove one of the following:

you’re married
you’re in a civil partnership
you’ve been living together in a relationship for 2 years

You and your partner must intend to continue your relationship after you apply.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you sure about that? It's called a De-facto visa.
I'm going to stop talking about UK routes I knew my partner and I didn't consider it an option without marriage when we looked at it, that may have been because of the two year continuous requirement (as opposed to Canada's one).
Old Mar 1st 2017, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Righto.. update for spreadsheet

Medical was completed last Wednesday 22 Feb. I hadnt heard anything more about it, but logged into MyCIC tonight and it has against Review of Medical Results: Passed. Not sure when it happened, but that sounds good to me!

Then, today my police cert arrived, so just completed uploading it. I will be logging on more frequently now to check on progress :-)
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AshMyl

Medical was completed last Wednesday 22 Feb. I hadnt heard anything more about it, but logged into MyCIC tonight and it has against Review of Medical Results: Passed. Not sure when it happened, but that sounds good to me!

Then, today my police cert arrived, so just completed uploading it. I will be logging on more frequently now to check on progress :-)
Congratulations, at least things are moving. Spreadsheet updated
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh. Starting to think I've upset someone in CIC.

New request! IMM5409 (annoying, but not a surprise - should probably just add that to something CL partners going through Ottawa include by default, vast majority seem to get asked for it at the moment).

More problematic: 'Proof your sponsor resides in Canada. Proof you intend to reside in Canada.' My sponsor doesn't, he resides with me, in Britain - hence the common law outland application. Very unsure how to deal with that bit. And we already included my applications to universities in the first pack, guess we can just go further & include offer letters and acceptances now.

Would appreciate any input on the two proofs required - should we just say to the first one "He doesn't"?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:16 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

New request! IMM5409 (annoying, but not a surprise - should probably just add that to something CL partners going through Ottawa include by default, vast majority seem to get asked for it at the moment).

More problematic: 'Proof your sponsor resides in Canada. Proof you intend to reside in Canada.' My sponsor doesn't, he resides with me, in Britain - hence the common law outland application. Very unsure how to deal with that bit. And we already included my applications to universities in the first pack, guess we can just go further & include offer letters and acceptances now.

Would appreciate any input on the two proofs required - should we just say to the first one "He doesn't"?
Just say you and the sponsor are living together in the UK and provide evidence of your plan to move. You can resubmit stuff you already submitted, but add anything new.

Spreadsheet updated!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 5:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what Schnooks said, but also include your partners plans for relocation back to Canada once you get PR - so proof of job hunting, accommodation arrangements etc. Don't put specific dates though - we had one member who anticipated PR coming through much later than the processing actually took and had issues as it 'wasn't their intent to return to Canada immediatly when their partner gained PR".

There's some useful info on what to supply here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...n_to_Canada.3F

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 2nd 2017 at 5:55 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
+1 to what Schnooks said, but also include your partners plans for relocation back to Canada once you get PR - so proof of job hunting, accommodation arrangements etc. Don't put specific dates though - we had one member who anticipated PR coming through much later than the processing actually took and had issues as it 'wasn't their intent to return to Canada immediatly when their partner gained PR".

There's some useful info on what to supply here: Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki

Editing the email down - was possibly a problem that we talked about his UK visa expiring in October, and my uni plans in Canada starting in September - will emphasise the 'as soon as', and 'already told work we're leaving'. Harder part is explaining his work plans (retail - anywhere!) when we don't yet know which city we'll be in (one offer for me in, still waiting to hear from 3 unis across 1,000 km)!
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:49 pm
Banned

Editing the email down - was possibly a problem that we talked about his UK visa expiring in October, and my uni plans in Canada starting in September - will emphasise the 'as soon as', and 'already told work we're leaving'. Harder part is explaining his work plans (retail - anywhere!) when we don't yet know which city we'll be in (one offer for me in, still waiting to hear from 3 unis across 1,000 km)!

You could put that he has registered with jobbank.gc.ca / Indeed / other employment websites with a view to seeking employment on his return; is actively exploring rental opportunities in xyz Cities, dependant on which course you get on - made enquiries with real estate agents in the areas to ascertain the rental markets; get letter from his parents / friends stating that you will be staying with them initially on arrival in Canada. Just get him to email a random real estate agent in each City you are potentially going to attend Uni in and use that and their response as 'proof'. Printout from Jobbank etc., showing registration.. whatever you think might help!

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

JayUK is an unknown quantity at this point

FEDEX was super quick, sent our application off Thurs PM London, and it arrived Mon AM in Mississauga, and was signed for.

Any idea how long it takes for them to acknowledge receipt?

Also, I realized afterwards, that I might not have updated some of the placeholder dates to represent a current job / address, from the day I started filling out the application (Jan) to the day we sent it (Feb) Will they question this? and will it cause any issue?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayUK
FEDEX was super quick, sent our application off Thurs PM London, and it arrived Mon AM in Mississauga, and was signed for.

Any idea how long it takes for them to acknowledge receipt?

Also, I realized afterwards, that I might not have updated some of the placeholder dates to represent a current job / address, from the day I started filling out the application (Jan) to the day we sent it (Feb) Will they question this? and will it cause any issue?

Takes maybe 2 - 3 weeks to acknowledge, if they do acknowledge at all. Sometimes the first you hear is sponsor approval and the requests for medical and police certificates.

Your placeholder dates may well give rise to a query, but they won't reject your application for these. They will be in touch, you would only slow things down by trying to raise a query - sit tight.

Do you want to take part in the tracking spreadsheet? If so, can you just post the additional information we need, you can see what that is from looking at the spreadsheet link in my signature line below.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

AshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond reputeAshMyl has a reputation beyond repute

Checked on myCIC for progress... and the Background Check Status has changed to 'In Progress'. Yesterday it was 'Not Started'. Also, the Interview states that an Interview is not required.

The anticipation grows......
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:31 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Checked on myCIC for progress... and the Background Check Status has changed to 'In Progress'. Yesterday it was 'Not Started'. Also, the Interview states that an Interview is not required.

The anticipation grows......
Awesome, at least there's some movement!

The spreadsheet doesn't have your processing office on it, which office has your application?

Spreadsheet updated!
Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Awesome, at least there's some movement!

The spreadsheet doesn't have your processing office on it, which office has your application?

Spreadsheet updated!
Thanks for updating. We have not received notification of which office is dealing with the applciation. I checked on myCIC and my wife checked on her Process Progress page and neither of them state or indicate which office. In the letter we got stating that the Spousal Sponsorship was approved it stated that the office in Mississagua would keep the application until the requested documents were received. These have been received and acknowledged, but no further update on where things are headed.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:58 pm
Concierge

Thanks for updating. We have not received notification of which office is dealing with the applciation. I checked on myCIC and my wife checked on her Process Progress page and neither of them state or indicate which office. In the letter we got stating that the Spousal Sponsorship was approved it stated that the office in Mississagua would keep the application until the requested documents were received. These have been received and acknowledged, but no further update on where things are headed.
Right, I knew that too. Brain fart. I've just put "TBC" on the spreadsheet so we know that it's legitimately a TBC situation as opposed to someone just not giving the info! Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.