Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by evelyned
Thanks Burks! I just saw the spreadsheet and asked SchnookoLoly to add me

Siouxie, I haven't applied for Citizenship for them but yes they are recognize as Canadians because I was born in Canada. It's just after I paid for medicals and sent my application that it occurred to me I didn't have too!! Doh! I just hope it won't impact negatively on me being able to be a sponsor as it now looks like I've got to financially support 4 people :/ But I am hoping that they will spot my error.
Hi Evelyn - we did exactly the same as you. My husband is Canadian born as well. We paid for our two kids and sent their medicals. Mississauga spotted this on their checks and returned the application fee related to our kids back to his address in Newfoundland. We lost the money related to the medicals - but it was our fault so happy to get the application fee back (I think $300). Hopefully this will happen in your case as well.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolasta
Hi Evelyn - we did exactly the same as you. My husband is Canadian born as well. We paid for our two kids and sent their medicals. Mississauga spotted this on their checks and returned the application fee related to our kids back to his address in Newfoundland. We lost the money related to the medicals - but it was our fault so happy to get the application fee back (I think $300). Hopefully this will happen in your case as well.
Ah, thanks for letting me know Nicolasta! Not just me then! These things can be so complicated... Would be great to get the money back so I can put it towards getting their passport. Hope everything is going smoothly for you now
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Mary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Only 5 applications after you have been processed, and they've all been exceptionally fast. The September applications have been the ones coming through en masse recently, so if I were you, I'd say sit tight for another 1-2 months before starting to worry. Processing times have slowed down a bit as well. The average is now just over 6 months, up from being just under 6 months, and if you look at the charts at the bottom of the sheet, on the one called "Processing times grouped together", you'll see that the vast majority of applications are being processed between 6.25 and 8 months.
Thanks SchnookoLoly, I was just sounding off - I don't expect to hear anything until June sometime. On another note, ESTAs for myself and the children ( all british passport holders) - ones I applied for 2 years ago are about to run out. Do we still need them to fly across the border to US, even though we would be living in Canada instead of UK ?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond reputeMary louise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That question is on the applicant's form - so does the applicant (which ever of you is being sponsored, not the sponsor themselves) have blood relatives in Canada already?

Hi Siouxie, yes - I am the applicant and my mum's sister emigrated to Canada in the 60s, where she had 4 of her 5 children and I also have 2 cousins on my dad's side and their families who emigrated in the 80s, so I put down my aunt and all my first cousins and 2 of my 2nd cousins - left it at that, as I thought that would surely be all they wanted to know !

Last edited by Mary louise; Apr 30th 2014 at 5:21 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary louise
Thanks SchnookoLoly, I was just sounding off - I don't expect to hear anything until June sometime. On another note, ESTAs for myself and the children ( all british passport holders) - ones I applied for 2 years ago are about to run out. Do we still need them to fly across the border to US, even though we would be living in Canada instead of UK ?
If you are coming to Canada via the USA from a flight from the UK then Yes you need ESTAS.

Do nationals or citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program require travel authorization if they are only transiting the United States in route to another country?
Eligible nationals or citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program require either a travel authorization or a visa to transit the United States. If a traveler is only planning to transit through the United States en route to another country, when he or she completes the travel authorization application in ESTA, the traveler should enter the words "In Transit" and his or her final destination location in the address lines in the Address While In The United States field on the application.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

boaly100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys I'm just looking for a bit advice, I have gone to "in process" on the 02/04/14. I am currently a visitor in Canada staying with my wife at my father-in-law's. I had sought advice on this thread prior to me arriving in Canada that I could wait for my PR to come through whilst I'm a visitor which was ok.

However the issue I have is that I have my old address on my application but this is not the current mailing address which belongs to the immigration lawyer. But when I asked the lawyer if I could change the address to my farther-in-laws he said it would affect my application and show that I have no intention of returning to the UK even though I have a return flight ticket and an address to go to if application was refused. My issue is that even though the immigration lawyer is the current mailing address the sponsorship approval letter came to old and we inform the immigration lawyer that the sponsor was approved. I am worried that the PR documentation once it goes to decision made will go to old address and not immigration lawyer. Thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boaly100
Hi guys I'm just looking for a bit advice, I have gone to "in process" on the 02/04/14. I am currently a visitor in Canada staying with my wife at my father-in-law's. I had sought advice on this thread prior to me arriving in Canada that I could wait for my PR to come through whilst I'm a visitor which was ok.

However the issue I have is that I have my old address on my application but this is not the current mailing address which belongs to the immigration lawyer. But when I asked the lawyer if I could change the address to my farther-in-laws he said it would affect my application and show that I have no intention of returning to the UK even though I have a return flight ticket and an address to go to if application was refused. My issue is that even though the immigration lawyer is the current mailing address the sponsorship approval letter came to old and we inform the immigration lawyer that the sponsor was approved. I am worried that the PR documentation once it goes to decision made will go to old address and not immigration lawyer. Thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
That's total rubbish. CIC don't care where you are living provided they have your current address - many people have their 'postal' address in Canada for this precise reason.

Your mailing address is different to your residential address, for CIC purposes.
Indicate your current mailing address (where information should be mailed) by typing the following information:
Check the box to indicate whether your residential address (where you live) is the same as your mailing address. If "No", indicate the following information:
Do an online case specific enquiry to London CIC to notify them of your change of posting address and ignore your Immigration person.

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/enquiri...mission=london

Did you give authorisation for documentation to be sent to your Immigration person? If you did - and you want all future documentation to come to you - then you need to withdraw authorisation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...esentative.asp

Old May 1st 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you are coming to Canada via the USA from a flight from the UK then Yes you need ESTAS.

Do nationals or citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program require travel authorization if they are only transiting the United States in route to another country?
Eligible nationals or citizens of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program require either a travel authorization or a visa to transit the United States. If a traveler is only planning to transit through the United States en route to another country, when he or she completes the travel authorization application in ESTA, the traveler should enter the words "In Transit" and his or her final destination location in the address lines in the Address While In The United States field on the application.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
thanks Former Lancastrian but I am still confused ! - Once I have my PR and we have been living in Canada for a few months, say, will myself and my 2 children still require ESTAs to fly to the US for a weeks holiday, for instance ? All 3 of us are British citizens with British passports but the children also have Canadian citizenship cards. thank you for your patience !
Old May 1st 2014, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again, since finding out that I "can't" sponsor my children since they are automatically Canadian (I am born in Canada) I need to get them a citizenship card and then passport. Again, I am worried about the length of time it takes to get this as we were hoping to move in August. It also sounds like they might need their passport for registering for school. They are over 2 years old so not sure the temporary card applies to them..

I tried asking on another forum but no luck so far and you guys have been pretty amazing so far so I'm hoping someone here might know more!

Thanks!
Old May 1st 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evelyned
Hello again, since finding out that I "can't" sponsor my children since they are automatically Canadian (I am born in Canada) I need to get them a citizenship card and then passport. Again, I am worried about the length of time it takes to get this as we were hoping to move in August. It also sounds like they might need their passport for registering for school. They are over 2 years old so not sure the temporary card applies to them..

I tried asking on another forum but no luck so far and you guys have been pretty amazing so far so I'm hoping someone here might know more!

Thanks!
Hi Evelyn,
I posted a question about citizenship cert for kids on a separate thread earlier today, so if I get an answer - it might be helpful for you too.
On the schooling side of things - I am not sure about where you are moving, but we are moving to St John's NL and my husband and myself have been in touch via e-mail and phone to the Eastern School District over there. We were told that once they can see my husband's birth cert as well as the kids (presumably to show he is their Dad), then there should be no problem with registration. I plan on bring proof of citizenship cert application as well as birth certs and any transcripts from their current school which should cover me.....
Old May 1st 2014, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Becki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

We are back from disneyland and I was so sure we would come home to a delivery notice in the mailbox for the COPR.

But we didn't... :-(

It is 2 weeks today since decision made.

Another member from Canadian visa got a decision made the same day, and is in England. They received their COPR April 25, but made note that it was only mailed April 24. So I am assuming mine was probably mailed around he same time.

Should I give it another week or send them a case specific message?

(PS we are in Canada. In Alberta)
Old May 1st 2014, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary louise
thanks Former Lancastrian but I am still confused ! - Once I have my PR and we have been living in Canada for a few months, say, will myself and my 2 children still require ESTAs to fly to the US for a weeks holiday, for instance ? All 3 of us are British citizens with British passports but the children also have Canadian citizenship cards. thank you for your patience !
Canadian citizens don't require ESTA and their citizenship cards is proof of that. Where you might run into problems is they are travelling on UK passports as opposed to Canadian ones and the application might then require them to get the ESTA. In the scheme of things its a trivial amount so Id apply for it anyway based on them travelling on a UK passport.
Old May 1st 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nicolasta
Hi Evelyn,
I posted a question about citizenship cert for kids on a separate thread earlier today, so if I get an answer - it might be helpful for you too.
On the schooling side of things - I am not sure about where you are moving, but we are moving to St John's NL and my husband and myself have been in touch via e-mail and phone to the Eastern School District over there. We were told that once they can see my husband's birth cert as well as the kids (presumably to show he is their Dad), then there should be no problem with registration. I plan on bring proof of citizenship cert application as well as birth certs and any transcripts from their current school which should cover me.....
Looks like we have a very similar situation! I rang the school system near where we want to live (montreal) and they told us that like you as long as I bring my passport and kids birth certificate it won't be a problem. But there is also the problem of getting through border control once we land in Canada. I have emailed the canadian embassy in London about getting a temporary citizenship card so will let you know if I get an answer from them.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

boaly100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That's total rubbish. CIC don't care where you are living provided they have your current address - many people have their 'postal' address in Canada for this precise reason.

Your mailing address is different to your residential address, for CIC purposes.
Indicate your current mailing address (where information should be mailed) by typing the following information:
Check the box to indicate whether your residential address (where you live) is the same as your mailing address. If "No", indicate the following information:
Do an online case specific enquiry to London CIC to notify them of your change of posting address and ignore your Immigration person.

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/enquiri...mission=london

Did you give authorisation for documentation to be sent to your Immigration person? If you did - and you want all future documentation to come to you - then you need to withdraw authorisation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...esentative.asp

Thank you for that response, however I have just had a email from my lawyer that my Application was in the final stages I got my hopes up that it was decision made! How wrong I was, it was a request for further information regarding addresses that I've lived at. This is information that we have already submitted when we submitted the application back in October but the lawyer has missed it for some reason. IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ARE NOT WORTH IT ESPECIALLY OURS!!! If I had known about this forum before I started the application I would have done it myself. The information that has been provided on this forum is worth far more than any lawyer. No doubt my application will be delayed further.
Old May 1st 2014, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Canadian citizens don't require ESTA and their citizenship cards is proof of that. Where you might run into problems is they are travelling on UK passports as opposed to Canadian ones and the application might then require them to get the ESTA. In the scheme of things its a trivial amount so Id apply for it anyway based on them travelling on a UK passport.
Great - thank you. That's what I wanted clarification on. ( I did email ESTA but their reply was pretty ambiquous )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.