Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Becki567
I didn't realize they staple the COPR in your passport.

I thought I read somewhere to make sure they write your passport number on COPR and COPR number on passport otherwise you might have issues getting a SIN...

If the COPR is stapled why is this necessary? Or did I completely misread something?
Likely a one-off - Husband's COPR was definitely not stapled!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Wouldn't surprise me.. That document is way to big to be stapled into a passport!

I had no problems getting my SIN though.. did it this morning. The only problem was the lady couldn't find my country of birth.. 'England'.. nope, 'Great Britain'.. nope, 'UK'.. nope. After about 5 minutes she found it. 'British Citizen'. I wish they would just pick one and go with it.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

ghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My partners was also stapled in his passport, but we took it out and put it away in a more secure place. The woman at the cic office told us to keep this document in a safe place, like a safety deposit box, but proceeded to staple it in his passport.
Typical cic confusing/ conflicting advice!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ghunter
My partners was also stapled in his passport, but we took it out and put it away in a more secure place. The woman at the cic office told us to keep this document in a safe place, like a safety deposit box, but proceeded to staple it in his passport.
Typical cic confusing/ conflicting advice!
I was told to keep it in my passport until my PR Card comes. Once it comes, do not keep them together, keep the COPR in a safe place and keep the PR Card with my passport as I'll need to use them together. That way if I lose my card, I will still have my COPR safe.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

ghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud ofghunter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by burks
I was told to keep it in my passport until my PR Card comes. Once it comes, do not keep them together, keep the COPR in a safe place and keep the PR Card with my passport as I'll need to use them together. That way if I lose my card, I will still have my COPR safe.
That makes sense actually.

My partner still hasn't received his PR card, despite that it has been almost 4 months since landing. The call centre said we were selected for quality control and will just need to wait an indefinite time period. Sweeeeet.

As far as I understand, if he crosses the border with his passport and COPR by car he should be fine, right? We have a trip planned in a month, but so not have high hopes of cic sending it by then.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghunter
That makes sense actually.

My partner still hasn't received his PR card, despite that it has been almost 4 months since landing. The call centre said we were selected for quality control and will just need to wait an indefinite time period. Sweeeeet.

As far as I understand, if he crosses the border with his passport and COPR by car he should be fine, right? We have a trip planned in a month, but so not have high hopes of cic sending it by then.
The CBSA office I had said it should be fine to cross the border by car. CBSA will recognise the COPR for coming back into Canada and CBP should recognise the COPR as having a status in Canada also.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:49 am
Just Joined

nicole15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! My name is Nicole and I am new to this website I am currently staying in Winnipeg with my Winnipegger husband, (married for over one year and together for 3 years), and our 8 month old son. I literally just posted my PR Application, (via London), off to Mississauga yesterday! It's really interesting to see the spreadsheet and to read about the timeframes of the PR Card. A close British friend of mine is also married to a lovely Canadian guy and she told me her PR Application, also via London, took a total of four months from start to finish!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 2:05 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicole15
Hi everyone! My name is Nicole and I am new to this website I am currently staying in Winnipeg with my Winnipegger husband, (married for over one year and together for 3 years), and our 8 month old son. I literally just posted my PR Application, (via London), off to Mississauga yesterday! It's really interesting to see the spreadsheet and to read about the timeframes of the PR Card. A close British friend of mine is also married to a lovely Canadian guy and she told me her PR Application, also via London, took a total of four months from start to finish!
Welcome!! Glad your application was sent off without a hitch - and now the waiting game begins!! Would you like to be added to the spreadsheet?? It's always great to have more data in there, the more we can add the more accurate it is! (And if your friend wants to be added just post a username and her dates and I or one of the other editors will add her in too!)

Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Hi SchnookoLoly, thanks for the reply Yes, please add me away and I will keep everyone posted on my application as and when. Cannot wait for my PR Card, it feels like I have been preparing my application forever lol! I was really thorough so hopefully everything goes smoothly...

I will try to find out my friends dates too if it helps

Originally, I had prepared all of our paper work for the application WITHIN Canada but then I was advised to go the Via London route as it is much faster. So I re-did everything and was finally able to send everything away once and for all!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 2:21 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by nicole15
Hi SchnookoLoly, thanks for the reply Yes, please add me away and I will keep everyone posted on my application as and when. Cannot wait for my PR Card, it feels like I have been preparing my application forever lol! I was really thorough so hopefully everything goes smoothly...

I will try to find out my friends dates too if it helps

Originally, I had prepared all of our paper work for the application WITHIN Canada but then I was advised to go the Via London route as it is much faster. So I re-did everything and was finally able to send everything away once and for all!
Oh man you totally made the right call! Inland applications are at something like 16 months (can't remember offhand and too lazy to check!) whereas outland are about 6-7 months, so yeah, definitely much faster!! Applying inland also means you can't leave Canada while your application is processing, so you've definitely made the right call!

I've added you in with yesterday's date; let me know when your application is actually received and I'll update the date.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Queen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of lightQueen_E is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by burks
Weird, I thought I would have been a slam dunk conditional PR. Oh well.. That's handy then! (Unless I am completely blind and don't see it on the COPR, although I have read it a million times, and the border agent didn't mention it.. which I did think was weird!)

Thanks!
Lucky you!

We had an extra piece of paper with the COPR that said we were given conditional as well, and included an explanation of it (nothing about how long you can be away on trips though). It also clearly states it on the long COPR form under "Conditions."
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for other officers but the new(ish) COPR forms measuring 8.5 x 14 are not supposed to be stapled into passports unlike the old 3 piece ones. There again CIC were very slow in sending out instructions on the new forms to CBSA officers and some old habits you can't change
I haven't officially seen anything that says staple or don't staple into a passport nor fold them a certain way if you do. I suspect they don't want us making origami animals out of them though.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Queen_E
Lucky you!

We had an extra piece of paper with the COPR that said we were given conditional as well, and included an explanation of it (nothing about how long you can be away on trips though). It also clearly states it on the long COPR form under "Conditions."
Under "Conditions" mine says "00. NONE". So I am not conditional. Not that it should make too much difference, not planning on leaving the gf or anything haha! I thought I would be conditional for sure as although we have been in a relationship for around 4 years that has included long distance and living at each others parents. We only had solid proof of common law (rental agreement, car etc.) for 1 year prior to applying.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I can't speak for other officers but the new(ish) COPR forms measuring 8.5 x 14 are not supposed to be stapled into passports unlike the old 3 piece ones. There again CIC were very slow in sending out instructions on the new forms to CBSA officers and some old habits you can't change
I haven't officially seen anything that says staple or don't staple into a passport nor fold them a certain way if you do. I suspect they don't want us making origami animals out of them though.
The gf and I actually started laughing when we saw the CBSA officer trying to fold it in a way that would fit in my passport.. he didn't succeed, it still sticks out. He found it pretty funny himself though, I think we would have been out of there in half the time if he didn't staple it!

Last edited by burks; Apr 24th 2014 at 3:48 pm. Reason: Replying to FL
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi SchnookoLoly, just to let you know I tracked my application with Canada Post, and it officially arrived today
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Wicked! Yay!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.