Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Ginger34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Don't worry until you pass 4 weeks. We've seen sometimes CIC being delayed with actually putting the letter in the post. And I'm not about to start putting bets on the reliability of Canada Post and/or Royal Mail. It's taken different amount of times for different people - lots of factors weigh in - distance, countries, circumstance, the particular officer handling your file...

Just sit tight, if you get to Feb 10th and still nothing then drop CIC an email.
Thanks, I really appreciate it!!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 12:17 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Can you still send your application via the London office (to reduce process time) if using the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.
And to add to what Siouxie said, even if you apply outland, you wouldn't be sending it to London. You send it to Mississauga, they process the Canadian sponsor for sponsorship eligibility, and then Mississauga forwards the full, complete package to London to assess the principal applicant.

Outland is certainly faster, though... the wiki, and loads of threads on this forum, go through the pros and cons of each route.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:01 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

And to add to what Siouxie said, even if you apply outland, you wouldn't be sending it to London. You send it to Mississauga, they process the Canadian sponsor for sponsorship eligibility, and then Mississauga forwards the full, complete package to London to assess the principal applicant.

Outland is certainly faster, though... the wiki, and loads of threads on this forum, go through the pros and cons of each route.
Thanks guys and gals.

So is this correct...

INLAND = If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

OUTLAND = If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class (FC).

Or do you apply using the first package and just send for outland....

Sorry!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

phasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys and gals.

So is this correct...

INLAND = If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

OUTLAND = If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class (FC).

Sorry!
Even if you are living with your spouse/partner in Canada, you can still apply outland.

There are two different application packages, as detailed in a previous post. One for applying inland and the other for applying outland. Whatever route you decide to go down, make sure you use the correct application package.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys and gals.

So is this correct...

Sorry!
Read the wiki on the pros and cons about inland vs outland.

I am assuming that the spouse/partner is a Brit...

Inland basically means Canada processes all stages of your application. The sponsored person should remain in Canada while the application is being processed - 14 months I think currently. (might be longer, can't remember.) The applicant can technically leave Canada for a short visit (visiting home or whatever), but if they are refused re-entry to Canada, then the application is considered abandoned. Then you're SOL.

Outland means that Canada assess the sponsor, and the applicant's home country assesses the applicant. (Well, CIC still does it, but the office in the applicant's home country does it.)

For Brits, Outland is WAY faster. Sponsor approval is about 1 month, and PR comes about 5 months after that. If you apply Inland, sponsor approval is 8 months, and PR comes I think another 6-8 months after that, for a total of 14+ months.

The major consideration is that if you are called for an interview, you have to do it in the office that processed the applicant's application, and it's often only at 2-3 weeks' notice. HOWEVER, it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare that Brits are called for interviews, particularly if your case is straight-forward. They only call for interviews if they suspect that the relationship isn't genuine. So as long as you guys aren't trying to commit immigration fraud, you shouldn't have a problem. About 99.9% of peopleon this forum apply outland - you'll notice there isn't a thread for Inland sponsorship around here - it's because it's so rare. Not impossible, just exceptionally rare.

Lots more detail about it on the wiki, which it sounds like you need to grab a cuppa and read.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:42 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Can you still send your application via the London office (to reduce process time) if using the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.
And to be certain - spousal applications go first to either Mississauga for "outland" applications or Vegreville for "inland" applications.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:44 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Read the wiki on the pros and cons about inland vs outland.

I am assuming that the spouse/partner is a Brit...

Inland basically means Canada processes all stages of your application. The sponsored person should remain in Canada while the application is being processed - 14 months I think currently. (might be longer, can't remember.) The applicant can technically leave Canada for a short visit (visiting home or whatever), but if they are refused re-entry to Canada, then the application is considered abandoned. Then you're SOL.

Outland means that Canada assess the sponsor, and the applicant's home country assesses the applicant. (Well, CIC still does it, but the office in the applicant's home country does it.)

For Brits, Outland is WAY faster. Sponsor approval is about 1 month, and PR comes about 5 months after that. If you apply Inland, sponsor approval is 8 months, and PR comes I think another 6-8 months after that, for a total of 14+ months.

The major consideration is that if you are called for an interview, you have to do it in the office that processed the applicant's application, and it's often only at 2-3 weeks' notice. HOWEVER, it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare that Brits are called for interviews, particularly if your case is straight-forward. They only call for interviews if they suspect that the relationship isn't genuine. So as long as you guys aren't trying to commit immigration fraud, you shouldn't have a problem. About 99.9% of peopleon this forum apply outland - you'll notice there isn't a thread for Inland sponsorship around here - it's because it's so rare. Not impossible, just exceptionally rare.

Lots more detail about it on the wiki, which it sounds like you need to grab a cuppa and read.
Thanks for the reply I had already taken a read through the wiki's and although there is the risk of flying back to London, among other things, it seems like the best path for me, currently on my first IEC work permit with my 2nd one in process.

I just wasn't sure if you could fill out the application package for "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner. (If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada)" and then send it through the Outland process. Does that make sense?

My girlfriend is (common law) is Canadian and she will be sponsoring me, poor her

Ta
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

samanthalocke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'd just like to check a few things. My husband has applied through the outland process but is in Canada with me just now, we did put down his parents address as his address but now would like to change it to our address in Montreal. Do we do this by sending a case specific inquiry through the webform on the CI website? Could I also make an inquiry if they have received our Certificat de Selection at the same time? Or is it best to make multiple inquiries separately? We're also going to apply to extend his tourist visa through this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Orlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to let you all have an update.
I received my COPR here in Ottawa on Friday 17th January.
It appears to have been issued on 7th January 2014.
I live close to the border with the States so I went to Ogdensburg on Saturday and returned to Canada and landed on the same day (Saturday 18th). I had no issues at all at the border. Took about 20 minutes.
On Monday - I went to Service Canada and was issued with a SIN on the spot.
Now I am looking for work…

I really wanted to say again that without this forum I would have been a total mess.

Thank you so much for all the support and advice and general good company!
Hopefully I'll get a job soon and then it will all be over.
Take care and good luck!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

MCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Orlaith
Hi everyone,
I live close to the border with the States so I went to Ogdensburg on Saturday and returned to Canada and landed on the same day (Saturday 18th). I had no issues at all at the border. Took about 20 minutes.

I really wanted to say again that without this forum I would have been a total mess.

Take care and good luck!
Congrats Orlaith! Good luck with the job search!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:11 pm
Concierge

Thanks for the reply I had already taken a read through the wiki's and although there is the risk of flying back to London, among other things, it seems like the best path for me, currently on my first IEC work permit with my 2nd one in process.

I just wasn't sure if you could fill out the application package for "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner. (If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada)" and then send it through the Outland process. Does that make sense?

My girlfriend is (common law) is Canadian and she will be sponsoring me, poor her

Ta
From the few things you've posted, outland is the way to go. You fill out the Outland application package that was linked to you further up... ignore that it says "for people living IN/OUT of Canada" and pretend it just says "If you are applying Inland, use package x; if you are applying Outland, use package y." Make sure you are using the Outland package.

It takes about 2ish months to get the application together (get cracking!). Two things to consider:
1) Police certificates. Allow enough time to request them as originals need to be included in your application package. Certificates can't be more than 3 months old when you file your application.
2) Medical. When your COPR is issued, it will be valid for one year - and that one year date is determined by when you had your medical done (or the expiry date on your passport, whichever is sooner). To allow as much landing time as possible, try to do your medical as close to filing your application as you can. Again be aware of wait times for getting an appointment.

Any questions - and undoubtedly you will have a few as you work through the forms - post back here or start a new thread in the main immigration section (but try to combine your questions into one post instead of creating 6 posts, one for each question.)

Good luck!!

Originally Posted by Orlaith
Hi everyone,

Take care and good luck!
Congrats!! Glad it all went smoothly and that you had no issues!! Good luck with the job hunt, and all the best!!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:46 pm
Weegie in Calgary

From the few things you've posted, outland is the way to go. You fill out the Outland application package that was linked to you further up... ignore that it says "for people living IN/OUT of Canada" and pretend it just says "If you are applying Inland, use package x; if you are applying Outland, use package y." Make sure you are using the Outland package.

It takes about 2ish months to get the application together (get cracking!). Two things to consider:
1) Police certificates. Allow enough time to request them as originals need to be included in your application package. Certificates can't be more than 3 months old when you file your application.
2) Medical. When your COPR is issued, it will be valid for one year - and that one year date is determined by when you had your medical done (or the expiry date on your passport, whichever is sooner). To allow as much landing time as possible, try to do your medical as close to filing your application as you can. Again be aware of wait times for getting an appointment.

Any questions - and undoubtedly you will have a few as you work through the forms - post back here or start a new thread in the main immigration section (but try to combine your questions into one post instead of creating 6 posts, one for each question.)

Good luck!!

Congrats!! Glad it all went smoothly and that you had no issues!! Good luck with the job hunt, and all the best!!
Yeah I intend to apply for PR in July this year so still got time but starting to look now.

Medical sounds interesting, so if I have my medical in say June 2014 then I need to "activate" PR by June 2015? Is it possible to activate PR when on a work permit? I ask because you cannot activate your second work permit before your first has expired.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:11 pm
Concierge

Yeah I intend to apply for PR in July this year so still got time but starting to look now.

Medical sounds interesting, so if I have my medical in say June 2014 then I need to "activate" PR by June 2015? Is it possible to activate PR when on a work permit? I ask because you cannot activate your second work permit before your first has expired.
Yep, you've got it. Say you do your medical on 14 June 2014, your COPR, when issued, will be valid until 13 June 2015. If I'm not mistaken, you can switch from IEC to PR as soon as your COPR comes through, regardless of the expiry of your IEC permit. (I'm about 99% sure on that - someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

MCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant futureMCARTER82 has a brilliant future

My ECAS has changed to Decision Made as of today!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

phasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCARTER82
My ECAS has changed to Decision Made as of today!
Congratulations!!

And an update on my end. Received COPR in the post today. Will probably be looking to move early September.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, and for extras like the well updated timeline spreadsheet. This forum is an amazing resource

PS. It's a conditional COPR. Been with my girlfriend for 4 years, lived together 1 year (applied common-law). It says on the COPR that we must cohabit for 2 years in a conjugal relationship after becoming PR, which obviously isn't a problem. Just thought it might shed a little bit of light on the new rules for conditional PR.

Last edited by phasee; Jan 23rd 2014 at 10:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.