Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Orlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of lightOrlaith is a glorious beacon of light
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Hi all,
Just a little observation.
All the Juners (like myself) are starting to fall outside the average time for DM from sponsorship approval. Also it seems like the Juners are also outside the average time when it comes to going "in process" to DM. The average I can tell from the spreadsheet is somewhere between a few days to two weeks. I am closing out on my sixth week "in process". I"m finding the daily wait, turning into the weekly wait, to the monthly wait - excruciating. I see from the 2012 spreadsheet that people did get DMs in January. Fingers crossed we start to see some movement soon…..
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

UKHR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Spreadsheet is probably the best source as anyone who would have posted is reflected in the spreadsheet, and not everyone who is captured on the spreadsheet is still active so go with what's on there. Keep in mind not everyone sent to in prices as ecas is unreliable at best.
Thanks alot for the heads up........ I just received an email from the London office stating that my application is in the final stage and requesting passport copy etc!!!!

I am now concerned as I had been planning to 'land' at the end of this uear but I had submitted my medical back in July 2013 and thus worriee that I will not have enough timevto tie things up here.

I read the rules on spousa visal conditions and would appreciate peoples feedback...... Ive been in a relationship for 4.5 years ....so if i land this summer and come back to the UK and return at the end of the year would I be contravening the conditions?? As the conditions apply to couples in relationships of less than two years and without children.

My wife is a medical student in Canada so will not be able to come back with me to the UK after I land in Canada

Worried worried worried!!!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKHR
Thanks alot for the heads up........ I just received an email from the London office stating that my application is in the final stage and requesting passport copy etc!!!!

I am now concerned as I had been planning to 'land' at the end of this uear but I had submitted my medical back in July 2013 and thus worriee that I will not have enough timevto tie things up here.

I read the rules on spousa visal conditions and would appreciate peoples feedback...... Ive been in a relationship for 4.5 years ....so if i land this summer and come back to the UK and return at the end of the year would I be contravening the conditions?? As the conditions apply to couples in relationships of less than two years and without children.

My wife is a medical student in Canada so will not be able to come back with me to the UK after I land in Canada

Worried worried worried!!!
Passport request is a great sign!! You should have COPR in the next few weeks I would think - likely by the end of January, assuming you send your passport off quickly! Congrats!!

The rule about living together says that you and your sponsor must live together for 2 years from the time you become a PR, which means, from the time you land.

That rule only came into effect in 2013, so no one has really experienced how strict it is yet, and whether cases like yours are given any leeway or not. If you search around the forum and on CanadaVisa, most people say to obey the rule and not "wait and see" - that is, move and live together from the time you land. No one knows how they'll enforce it as no one has had to face it yet, but if it were me, I wouldn't be taking the chance. However, as you said, you have been with your partner for more than two years, so it doesn't sound like the rule applies to you anyway.

Wording from CIC's website (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp
What is conditional permanent residence?
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the Regulations) which apply to spouses, common-law or conjugal partners in a relationship of two years or less with their sponsor and who have no children in common with their sponsor at the time they submit their sponsorship application. The sponsored spouse must cohabit in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day on which they receive their permanent resident status in Canada. If they do not remain in the relationship, the sponsored spouse’s status could be revoked. The conditional measure only applies to permanent residents whose applications are received on or after October 25, 2012—the day that the amendments came into force.

Last edited by SchnookoLoly; Jan 6th 2014 at 5:11 pm. Reason: I does type good
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:18 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

When did you marry?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
When did you marry?
Married in June 2013 (we had been in a relationship for 4 years at that point) and have not be living together since as i reside inthe UK and my partner in Canada.

Thanks for the insight so far, the rules do clearly spell out 2 years or less and no children so hoping my circumstances are exempt?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:35 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have to have been married for 2 years...
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Unless you have to have been married for 2 years...
The more I read up on this the more relaxed I am becoming....... the condition became effective for applications received on or after 25th October 2012 and for those who were in a relationship for 2 years or less at the time of the application and do not have children..............

In every guidance this is stated so I think I'm safe and the condition will not be attached to my visa..... I hope I'm not coming across as arrogant without wisdom from the above statement but I think this new condition is a bit misleading until you look into some of the fine printing!!!

Last edited by UKHR; Jan 6th 2014 at 8:08 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:57 pm
Concierge

You need to be one hundred percent sure about the definition of relationship. I will put money on them meaning two years as legal partners, not two years dating. (Legal partners being either two years married or two years common law.)

If I had to guess, as far as CIC is concerned, you have not been in a relationship for more than two years, legally.

But I don't know that for sure, just my guess.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

You need to be one hundred percent sure about the definition of relationship. I will put money on them meaning two years as legal partners, not two years dating. (Legal partners being either two years married or two years common law.)

If I had to guess, as far as CIC is concerned, you have not been in a relationship for more than two years, legally.

But I don't know that for sure, just my guess.
Thanks alot for all your input.... im still not 100% assured myself to be honest....
I have emailed CIC also so will wait and see.

Just hoping they will come back with a reasonable solution.....back to biting nails!!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:05 am
Concierge

Thanks alot for all your input.... im still not 100% assured myself to be honest....
I have emailed CIC also so will wait and see.

Just hoping they will come back with a reasonable solution.....back to biting nails!!
Do post back once you get an answer as it will be interesting to know what they have to say about it.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Do post back once you get an answer as it will be interesting to know what they have to say about it.
I definately will do......Ive read up a faor amount and the amendment to attach a condition was introduced to deter 'sham' marriages. In terms of my context, without sounding arrogant, ive been in a relationship for over 4.5 years, married for 7months now, professional background and am a British citizen so the risk of a sham marriage would be lower in comparison to lets say a developing country, bearing in mind Im requesting to land in December or to land in the summer and return to the UK to permanently move to Canada in December but my fear is will CIC follow the rules to the book or be pragmatic (if the rule is at all applicable to my circumstances)!?

I hope the latter.....

Last edited by UKHR; Jan 7th 2014 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 3:21 pm
Concierge

I definately will do......Ive read up a faor amount and the amendment to attach a condition was introduced to deter 'sham' marriages. In terms of my context, without sounding arrogant, ive been in a relationship for over 4.5 years, married for 7months now, professional background and am a British citizen so the risk of a sham marriage would be lower in comparison to lets say a developing country, bearing in mind Im requesting to land in December or to land in the summer and return to the UK to permanently move to Canada in December but my fear is will CIC follow the rules to the book or be pragmatic (if the rule is at all applicable to my circumstances)!?

I hope the latter.....
I agree the chances of it being a sham marriage are slim, but CIC isn't going to bend a rule for you because of it. Either two years means married for two years or it does not, which means either the condition applies to you or it does not. There isn't really a middle ground with this. So best to find out the actual definition instead of just guessing or hoping for some kind of special dispensation, which isn't going ot be given. Rules are rules.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In every guidance this is stated so I think I'm safe and the condition will not be attached to my visa..... I hope I'm not coming across as arrogant without wisdom from the above statement but I think this new condition is a bit misleading until you look into some of the fine printing!!!
It's easy enough to check the 'fine printing' on the CIC website, which defines 'relationship'.

From the website:

"The Condition does not apply if:

Couple is married for more than two years; or

Couple have been in a conjugal relationship for more than two years; or

Couple has cohabited in a common-law relationship for more than two years; or

Have children in common.

Condition applies if:

Couple is married for two years or less; or

Couple dated for four years, but is married for two years or less; or

Couple have been in a conjugal relationship for two years or less; or

Couple has cohabited in a common-law relationship for two years or less; and

Do not have any children in common."

I've not read your previous posts, but if you've lived together for 2 years or more (length of marriage is irrelevant) then the condition won't apply to you, if you've not lived together then it will.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 7th 2014 at 7:13 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:20 pm
Concierge

^ Awesome, thanks Oompa. You rock.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Oompa........I think based on that the condition looks like it will apply....

Im not concerned about the condition applying so long as I can land at the end of this year but doesnt look like its going that way....

Alarm bells for me

Last edited by UKHR; Jan 7th 2014 at 7:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.