Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by BritBob
Unless we're very lucky, I just had a call from immigration Canada with a few questions regarding my sponsorship application. Our papers arrived in Mississauga at the beginning of March. Thought it might be another month or two before they opened up the envelope going by the current timelines!

Now for the nerves to kick in. Going to be a long few weeks!!!
this sounds about right, processing time is around 90 days I thought,
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Dude I'm so sorry! I was waiting with baited breath for good news from you when mine came through.

Any ideas why they're requesting a RCMP check - I think we've both been in Canada on working holidays about the same amount of time as well.

Sorry
theres quite a few threads on this, one of the big reasons that seems to pop up is that the applicant has the same name as someone that has a criminal record of somesort in Canada - thus they need to confirm it is not the applicant
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Dude I'm so sorry! I was waiting with baited breath for good news from you when mine came through.

Any ideas why they're requesting a RCMP check - I think we've both been in Canada on working holidays about the same amount of time as well.

Sorry
Thanks for the thoughts! Yeah I've also read it's because someone with a criminal record has the same name. I'm not nervous about the check itself, just frustrated at the amount of time/money/nerves it's costing me to jump through the right hoops.

From my understanding, once CIC receives the RCMP check then it's not long after that before people hear back about COPR. So keeping those toes and fingers crossed for a few more weeks at least haha!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Anyway to find out ahead of time if there is a Canadian Criminal with my name? How much does the RCMP check cost if I just do it anyway, I wanna do everything as fast as possible, given my past history of immigration mess ups.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Anyway to find out ahead of time if there is a Canadian Criminal with my name? How much does the RCMP check cost if I just do it anyway, I wanna do everything as fast as possible, given my past history of immigration mess ups.
I dont believe there is a way to check if other people have criminal records.. that would be a severe breach of confidentiality.

Also no point getting the RCMP check now, because they may not request it for 3 months, by which time your current one would be invalidated.. Just going to have to wait it out and hope for the best like us all unfortunatly
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

I hate the waiting and not knowing, the system is so flawed! it annoys me!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottyxx
I hate the waiting and not knowing, the system is so flawed! it annoys me!
haha youl find the part of the application being in london not as bad, at least thats what I found anyway.

Theres an ecas tracker you can sign up to that basically updates you when your ecas changes, not sure how accurate it is though. Literally just got a email saying mine had changed, logged in and its still 'application received' might be worth a shot though.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

usewes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. New to the forum, but been reading for ages!

For background, I am Canadian and my wife is British. We submitted our application on March 6th, and received Sponsor Approval May 31st.

In eCas, if the Permanent Residence Application Status is 'Application Received', and it states that 'Medical is Received' as well, does that mean the application is already in London?

Thanks!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usewes
Hi there. New to the forum, but been reading for ages!

For background, I am Canadian and my wife is British. We submitted our application on March 6th, and received Sponsor Approval May 31st.

In eCas, if the Permanent Residence Application Status is 'Application Received', and it states that 'Medical is Received' as well, does that mean the application is already in London?

Thanks!
usually yes. some peoples eCas are never updated from application received to decision made though.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

wesbray is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any information about the whole "implied status" thing? I'm anxious about what i'll do if I don't get my visa in time...
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wesbray
Does anyone have any information about the whole "implied status" thing? I'm anxious about what i'll do if I don't get my visa in time...
Implied status

If your temporary resident visa expires after you have submitted your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada, you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status.

Implied status
If the application for renewal of the work permit is made before the expiry of the existing work permit, the employee may continue to work under the terms and conditions of the original document as per the implied status provisions found in R186(u). TFWs should familiarize themselves with these conditions, particularly as they pertain to staying in Canada while under implied status.Information can be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/low-skill.asp.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Implied status

If your temporary resident visa expires after you have submitted your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada, you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status.

Implied status
If the application for renewal of the work permit is made before the expiry of the existing work permit, the employee may continue to work under the terms and conditions of the original document as per the implied status provisions found in R186(u). TFWs should familiarize themselves with these conditions, particularly as they pertain to staying in Canada while under implied status.Information can be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/low-skill.asp.
i think the poster is basically asking what happens if his IEC/WHV or TWP expires before he gets his PR through sponsorship. I think the answer to this is (based on the above post about IS) that you cannot continue to work on implied status as the IEC/WHV is non-extendable under any program thus cannot be included in implied status.

Your only option, and what alot of people do. Is to leave Canada and re-enter as a visitor until the PR comes through. You are not allowed to work, so I suggest saving a bit of money to cover you until you can work again. Question for implied status on PR apps though.. are you able to remain in Canada without leaving and re-entering the country on implied status as a temp resident even on such programs as the IEC/WHV?

Another question? Can you Volunteer whist waiting? I myself may be in this situation in the next couple of months and volunteer with St John Ambulance, would be nice to know that I can do a ton of volunteer horus if I cant work.. I dont see why it should be an issue, never gave them a SIN number or anything.. ?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes you cannot get implied status on an IEC visa, not for a PR application. If you PR is inland you can apply as a visitor and sta.

Volunteering is an iffy subject, I remember on one of my permits it said I could only volunteer if I did so in a way that was not beneficial to my career. I cant help you there, sorry!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Another question? Can you Volunteer whist waiting? I myself may be in this situation in the next couple of months and volunteer with St John Ambulance, would be nice to know that I can do a ton of volunteer horus if I cant work.. I dont see why it should be an issue, never gave them a SIN number or anything.. ?
If my memory serves me correct, you're only allowed to volunteer in a position that would not normally be paid.. bit of a grey area there. Here is a link that might shed some light on the situation. It is aimed at studying in Canada, but it clearly explains that:

'Volunteer activities that are not “work” and do not require a work permit

Volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as a foreign student being a ‘big brother’, or ‘big sister’ to a child; being on the line at a rape crisis centre. Normally this activity would be part time and incidental to the main reason that the person is in Canada (in this case, to study).'

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/i...-volunteer.asp

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sarah_m
If my memory serves me correct, you're only allowed to volunteer in a position that would not normally be paid.. bit of a grey area there. Here is a link that might shed some light on the situation. It is aimed at studying in Canada, but it clearly explains that:

'Volunteer activities that are not “work” and do not require a work permit

Volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as a foreign student being a ‘big brother’, or ‘big sister’ to a child; being on the line at a rape crisis centre. Normally this activity would be part time and incidental to the main reason that the person is in Canada (in this case, to study).'

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/i...-volunteer.asp

Hope that helps.
figured it would be something like that. What I do with St John is purely volunteer based, there is nobody that is paid to do it, so should be ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.