Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Apr 10th 2024, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

LondontoVictoria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Interesting. I haven't received any messaging about being eligible for pre arrival services and did my medical in February.
Looks like eligibility and background checks should be completed soon.
But also looks like there is no consistent timeline or pattern even when just looking at processing via London. Although you may be getting processed faster as your wife is in Canada.
I'm Toby, also heading to BC (Victoria). Although my wife is still here.
Hope you hear from them soon about your passport.
Old Apr 10th 2024, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

OakleyMatt is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s nice to be in touch with someone else in the same boat. I find it incredibly frustrating, I don’t think the UK weather is helping 😃😃 especially as things are warming up over there now.

We’ll be located in Gibsons, literally a stones throw from Victoria.

Last edited by OakleyMatt; Apr 10th 2024 at 6:58 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2024, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Likewise. And yes I'm finding it incredibly frustrating.
You could move now under 'dual intent' I believe..

Old Apr 10th 2024, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Can you explain please? I have no idea what dual intent it.
Old Apr 10th 2024, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OakleyMatt
At that point cipcanada also notified us that it was at this stage with previous applicants that I would likely receive a request from VFS in London to send my post passport to them, which usually happens about a month before confirmation of permanent residency. I’m still waiting to hear about sending my passport to VFS. Bloody frustrating.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt tbh, go with the official timelines and then be pleasantly surprised if it's quicker.

Can you explain please? I have no idea what dual intent it.
Means you can move and wait in Canada whilst you wait for PR. You won't risk being turned away as a non-genuine visitor, as you're allowed to enter both with visitor intent, and the intent to stay permanently.

Originally Posted by LondontoVictoria
Although you may be getting processed faster as your wife is in Canada.
Makes no difference where the sponsor is.

Good luck to both of you, hope you hear something soon.
Old Apr 10th 2024, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Yes you can move as soon as you get acknowledgement of receipt.
You can apply for a work permit once you get there if you want to work for a Canadian company (you don't need a work permit to work for a non-Canadian company). The govt also recently said it would accelerate processing of work permits for spouses awaiting PR and living in Canada.
I've done so much research into all of this. We've been on a bit of a journey. We were going to move and apply via the inland process. Then after telling everyone we were going we discovered it took 7-8 months to get.a work permit and so decided to stay while we applied via the outland process.
We may end up moving before I get PR if the application doesn't progress soon.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Correction think you need sponsor approval rather than simply acknowledgement of receipt. Either way you can move there now
Old Apr 11th 2024, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

According to our immigration consultant Dual Intent doesn't apply to myself.

Hello Matt,

Just to clarify, Dual Intent is for people who are applying for temporary residency (visitor, worker, student) to Canada who will eventually apply for permanent residency, it is not applicable to your situation.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
So they have completed 'background check'. Next step will be 'Decision Made', then either a passport copy request, OR issue of CoPR. Have a look at the spousal sponsorship wiki for more details.

At this stage is the passport request not always made? Can they sometimes skip that step and just issue COPR?
Old Apr 11th 2024, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

According to our immigration consultant Dual Intent doesn't apply to myself.
With the greatest of respect to him/her, that's not correct. Here's the info from the 'horses mouth' so to speak. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pplicants.html

Hopefully our resident CBSA officer, Former Lancastrian will see this and confirm that if you go now and enter Canada as a visitor with proof of your PR application well underway (Sponsor Approval as a minimum), you'd be admitted under dual intent.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

For me, as I see it though, I would have no intent to leave by a particular date.

I undoubtedly would leave, to go on holiday, re-visit the UK etc, but there would be no cut-off point where I would feel or need to be obliged to leave. Doesn't the Immigration official at the point of entry have to be convinced you would be leaving and have plans in place to do so?

I have travelled to Canada since my application has been underway but with a dated return ticket.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks.

For me, as I see it though, I would have no intent to leave by a particular date.

I undoubtedly would leave, to go on holiday, re-visit the UK etc, but there would be no cut-off point where I would feel or need to be obliged to leave. Doesn't the Immigration official at the point of entry have to be convinced you would be leaving and have plans in place to do so?

I have travelled to Canada since my application has been underway but with a dated return ticket.
It just means that you'd need to be prepared to leave Canada if your PR application was refused for any reason, but you don't need to show concrete plans to return after x amount of days. You are asking to be admitted as a visitor but with the intention of actually staying permanently once PR comes through.

It's completely up to you, but it's an option. If you applied in September, then hopefully you're not too far off anyway and will have PR in the summer.

Good luck.
Old Apr 16th 2024, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

I have an update on my application, I thought I'd post this as I think we all probably need some sort of encouragement if you're anything like me. Anyway, yesterday I received an email from IRCC confirming that they wish me to deliver my passport to the VFS office in London. Hopefully just a month or so to go now.
Old Apr 16th 2024, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

I also have a question. What is the purpose of taking your passport to the VFS office in London? I have already been to this office for my biometrics and had my passport with me then. Seems strange they want you to trek back in when whatever they need it for could've been done on the previous visit.

Matt
Old Apr 17th 2024, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

That does sound encouraging congrats. Not sure why they need it but seems like a significant step forward towards your goal.