Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Oct 5th 2018, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Originally Posted by Pinky72
Hi everyone,

New to this thread (but I'm on the tracker via a different forum). I applied in early Jan and it looked like everything was moving along nicely, and then it just went radio silent.

I'm so tired of waiting for this to go through - should have been an easy application as we have no kids and nothing special on the application. It's been sat in the LVO since early May and not a peep from them. I know this is normal (as per other people's posts), but it's still very frustrating.

Has anyone ever gone to an immigration lawyer after having already reached this stage? I'm just considering it now because at this point, we're going to start getting into issues with our rental lease, etc. We were hoping to be gone already and so we took a short lease on a flat because we expected to have all the approvals by now. I'm just wondering if it would be beneficial to go to a lawyer at this point to see if they can push it along.

Any suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated.
Of course you could always order your case notes. See here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...even_bother.3F

It won't speed or slow anything up and it probably won't actually tell you anything you don't know, but it may make you feel a bit better to be taking some sort of action!
Old Oct 11th 2018, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hanky is an unknown quantity at this point

After some advice please. Recently completed my medical, and it's been transmitted to IRCC. They've also asked my 11yo daughter, who lives with her mother in another country to do one. I understand that she's a dependant but explained on the application that we have a Child Arrangement Order for access and due to the unfortunate circumstances wasn't seeking to include her. It's highly unlikely that my ex-partner will facilitate a medical within the allocated timeframe. Any advice appreciated, on how to advise IRCC and likely response?
Old Oct 15th 2018, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Pinky72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks @Hurlabrick and @Siouxie for your comments. Much appreciated. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 12:48 am
Just Joined

gavtodd is an unknown quantity at this point

@hurlabrick - just an update. Still, no news since application arrived. I've tried to call the telephone number a couple times but it seems impossible to reach an immigration agent!

Hope we hear something soon, but I heard down the grapevine they've moved the process office from Mississauga to somewhere out east!
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gavtodd
@hurlabrick - just an update. Still, no news since application arrived. I've tried to call the telephone number a couple times but it seems impossible to reach an immigration agent!

Hope we hear something soon, but I heard down the grapevine they've moved the process office from Mississauga to somewhere out east!
You mentioned in an earlier post that you are residing in London UK (and hoping to move to Windsor, Ontario) - you can't call the misinformation line unless you are in Canada.. are you here now? As an aside, even if you do get through, you should be aware that they are not Immigration Agents, per se - as in they are not Immigration Officers.. it's a bit like a call centre, with staff having limited access to information and mainly reading off scripts or giving 'guestimates' of the answer - which is often incorrect.

As I suggested in this post - Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London
Have you tried using Ecas to see where your application is, putting in your receipt number and surname (of the sponsor)? https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/security.do

Once you have the UCI # (Unique Client Identity/Identifier - File Number) then you will be able to use MyCIC or send a case specific enquiry updating them of your recent marriage. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-children.html

(Congrats by the way!).

Where did you send your application? If you sent it to the wrong office, that could be the reason you haven't heard anything yet.
Are you checking your junk mail folder?

Mississauga is for Inland applications now, I believe
Application for spouses or common-law partners (currently living in Canada) applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class: CPC-Mississauga P.O. Box 5040, Station B Mississauga, ON L5A 3A4

• Send your application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia if you’re sponsoring:
  • a spouse, partner or dependent child who:
    • lives outside Canada, or
    • won’t stay in Canada while we’re processing your application
Send your application to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario if you’re sponsoring:
  • a spouse, partner or dependent child who currently lives in Canada
  • your parents and grandparents
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...va-scotia.html

• Mailing address for applications to sponsor spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners and dependent children (currently living outside Canada), other relatives and adopted children:
    CPC Sydney
    PO Box 9500
    Sydney NS
    B1P 0H5
  • Courier address for applications to sponsor spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners and dependent children (currently living outside Canada), adopted children and other relatives:
    CPC-Sydney
    49 Dorchester Street
    Sydney, NS
    B1P 5Z2

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 17th 2018 at 5:03 am.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Brief update on our application, on 18/10 received an email offering Pre-Arrival Services, must be good progress.

Quick question, I'm going to Canada on 1 November until 28 December. I assume it is best to land as Dual Intent? When I leave and then return in January this could be a proper 'landing' assuming all progresses well?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanky
Brief update on our application, on 18/10 received an email offering Pre-Arrival Services, must be good progress.

Quick question, I'm going to Canada on 1 November until 28 December. I assume it is best to land as Dual Intent? When I leave and then return in January this could be a proper 'landing' assuming all progresses well?
But from November to December you are only entering as a visitor. Its not your intention to stay permanently until January. You can mention it to CBSA but tell them you are returning to the UK on X date and then returning to Canada on X date.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks @Former Lancastrian - That's very clear and helpful, I'll contain the excitement a bit longer.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Netraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond reputeNetraam has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I finally managed to get through to CIC and talked to an agent for an update on my (spousal) PR application status (sent out August 3rd and not a word ever since, unfortunately I made the mistake to use regular mail - with tracking but that proves to be total useless) Agent told me that they have a big backlog and are currently processing applications that came in July 20th. Patient, patient, patient. At least the citizenship certificate for our daughter came in today, 1 year after we applied for it...
Old Oct 24th 2018, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

ibeauchamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Just been invited to use pre-arrival services! No other change on MYCIC.

Fingers crossed it's good news. @lizlon hope you hear from them soon
Old Oct 24th 2018, 10:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Netraam
Hey, I finally managed to get through to CIC and talked to an agent for an update on my (spousal) PR application status (sent out August 3rd and not a word ever since, unfortunately I made the mistake to use regular mail - with tracking but that proves to be total useless) Agent told me that they have a big backlog and are currently processing applications that came in July 20th. Patient, patient, patient. At least the citizenship certificate for our daughter came in today, 1 year after we applied for it...
You can normally only call the Immigration and Citizenship helpline (or misinformation line as it's commonly known) from within Canada.. I didn't realise you were in Canada, sorry! You can also check on ECAS using your receipt number.
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/int...on.do?app=ecas

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 24th 2018 at 10:59 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Hot on the tails of yesterday's invitation to pre-arrival services. I've just received an email with a letter attached asking me to send a photocopy of my passport (I don't think I need to send in my actual passport as I have a UK passport so eTA only), a copy of the letter they just emailed, with Appendix A (Updated Information Chart) completed and two new photos. Is this the request for passport that normally comes after DM and Approval, so they can send the COPR? MyCIC is still showing everything as "Reviewing" or "Processing" or "In Progress"?

I also wanted to check that I'm sending them what I need to:
- I'm assuming that I don't need to send my physical passport. The letter talks about requiring "a visa in your passport", and an eTA isn't that. I also already have a valid eTA.
- They ask me to submit the letter, completed appendix and passport scan through MyCIC. Will the option to do this appear once the status on MyCIC changes, or should I submit this as an attachment to a Case Specific Enquiry form?
- In Appendix A it asks for some additional information for the Principal Applicant (me). Do I put in the details of my fiancé (and Sponsor) under Spouse/Partner? - I understand the answer to this is no.
- It says to include a stamped address return envelope. Is this for them to send the COPR?

Sorry for all the questions. I did look on the wiki but couldn't see anything, really don't want to make a mistake at this stage, and at the same time am trying to work out whether I should be getting ready to crack open the champagne / a 24 of Molson?

Thanks,

Iain

Last edited by ibeauchamp; Oct 25th 2018 at 5:39 pm. Reason: Found more info
Old Oct 26th 2018, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibeauchamp
Hot on the tails of yesterday's invitation to pre-arrival services. I've just received an email with a letter attached asking me to send a photocopy of my passport (I don't think I need to send in my actual passport as I have a UK passport so eTA only), a copy of the letter they just emailed, with Appendix A (Updated Information Chart) completed and two new photos. Is this the request for passport that normally comes after DM and Approval, so they can send the COPR? MyCIC is still showing everything as "Reviewing" or "Processing" or "In Progress"?
Yes, that is what it is. Spreadsheet updated. MyCIC can lag behind.

- I'm assuming that I don't need to send my physical passport. The letter talks about requiring "a visa in your passport", and an eTA isn't that. I also already have a valid eTA.

The PA here is British. You said they asked for a COPY of your passport, so that is what you should send them, a copy, not the actual passport itself. The 'visa in your passport' stuff is standard wording that does not apply for a Brit,. as they do NOT actually issue a paper visa to stick in your passport, they create an electronic foil (see wiki). Hence they do not need an original passport for a Brit as you are visa exempt (an ETA is not a visa, it is purely authorisation to be allowed onto the plane!)

- They ask me to submit the letter, completed appendix and passport scan through MyCIC. Will the option to do this appear once the status on MyCIC changes, or should I submit this as an attachment to a Case Specific Enquiry form?

It may or may not appear in MyCIC, it is very flaky! Since you must physically send something (i.e. the two photos) to the VO anyway, I would send the paper copy with that (and for good luck, send it electronically if you can by MyCIC if not by CSE form.

- In Appendix A it asks for some additional information for the Principal Applicant (me). Do I put in the details of my fiancé (and Sponsor) under Spouse/Partner? - I understand the answer to this is no.

I am not certain about this, I know she is your sponsor, but she is also your spouse, so personally I would say yes. Others may have a more definitive answer.

- It says to include a stamped address return envelope. Is this for them to send the COPR?

Yes.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 6:33 pm
Banned

I also wanted to check that I'm sending them what I need to:

Sorry for all the questions. I did look on the wiki but couldn't see anything, really don't want to make a mistake at this stage, and at the same time am trying to work out whether I should be getting ready to crack open the champagne / a 24 of Molson?

Thanks,

Iain

Does this help? It's basically the same information as you filled out previously when you applied -- this is just an UPDATE - in case anything has changed... it's standard.
How do I fill out the updated information chart for PR?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...0008-5669.html
I always recommend retaining a copy of the application and supporting documents, so you can refer back to them if you need to fill out a form again. What did you write down the first time?
That form is used for lots of different immigration streams so if spouses were immigrating together, they would both be listed on the form.. as it's just you.. the principal applicant, it's just your details that go down, to the best of my knowledge...

What additional information have they asked for - or is it (per normal) just asking for updates?

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 26th 2018 at 6:42 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yes, that is what it is. Spreadsheet updated. MyCIC can lag behind.

The PA here is British. You said they asked for a COPY of your passport, so that is what you should send them, a copy, not the actual passport itself. The 'visa in your passport' stuff is standard wording that does not apply for a Brit,. as they do NOT actually issue a paper visa to stick in your passport, they create an electronic foil (see wiki). Hence they do not need an original passport for a Brit as you are visa exempt (an ETA is not a visa, it is purely authorisation to be allowed onto the plane!)

It may or may not appear in MyCIC, it is very flaky! Since you must physically send something (i.e. the two photos) to the VO anyway, I would send the paper copy with that (and for good luck, send it electronically if you can by MyCIC if not by CSE form.

I am not certain about this, I know she is your sponsor, but she is also your spouse, so personally I would say yes. Others may have a more definitive answer.

Yes.
Super, thank you for the advice and reassurance!

Submitted by CSE form and posted. Fingers crossed now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.