Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Feb 20th 2018, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Duroche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

I've got some updates for the spreadsheet:

Dec 19 - invitation to pre-arrival services
Dec 20 - Form IMM 5562 (Supplementary info for travels) requested. This is overseas trips for last 10 years
Jan 24 - RCMP police clearance based on fingerprints requested
Feb 7 - Request for photos copies of passport as process 'almost complete'

My CIC page was only updated a couple of days ago (well after receiving the 7 Feb letter) and now states that my application was approved (as strongly hinted by the 7 Feb letter).

Of vague interest might be that the 7 Feb letter came via email and still hasn't appeared on my CIC account.

Other points to note:

I am already in Canada, having arrived under dual intent. I got a visitor's 'permit' for a year when I arrived (in November). I'll post separately about this and our experiences with goods to follow, shipping, insurance etc (which all went smoothly).

It was difficult to even find a link to Form IMM5562 (no link provided in CIC's letter), but I eventually found one dated from a few years ago - but clearly it was the right form. I didn't have detailed records of my travels over the last 10 years so did this to the best of my recollection, but made sure it cross referenced to the stamps in the copies of my passports CIC have (no stamps for European travels though). I sent a pdf of this form via the link in the letter (like a comments/get in touch form).

The RCMP police clearance was required because i had been 'residing in Canada for at least 6 months'. I have been in Canada in total for more than 6 months, but not in one complete stretch - but I couldn't see the point in arguing this one...

I sent my photos etc a day after getting the 7 Feb letter but only sent them via normal post, which is extremely slow for where I am. Yesterday I noticed via the tracking for the prepaid Xpress envelope that I had to send, that whatever is coming, is on its way.

I'm assuming this is my COPR (rather than my PR visa which the letter says will come 'if applicable'), which I further assume means that I would have to leave Canada and land officially, even though I am here already. We shall see...
Old Feb 20th 2018, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute

Just got our request for photos on February 19th along with the request for the prepaid envelope as our process is nearly complete.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duroche
I'm assuming this is my COPR (rather than my PR visa which the letter says will come 'if applicable'), which I further assume means that I would have to leave Canada and land officially, even though I am here already. We shall see...
They will send you your CoPR and a copy - there will be no mistaking it. Yes, you have to either flagpole or book a 'landing' at one of the few CIC offices that facilitate this.

Spreadsheet updated.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tototoro
Just got our request for photos on February 19th along with the request for the prepaid envelope as our process is nearly complete.
Spreadsheet updated.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Tommm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duroche
I've got some updates for the spreadsheet:
I am already in Canada, having arrived under dual intent. I got a visitor's 'permit' for a year when I arrived (in November). I'll post separately about this and our experiences with goods to follow, shipping, insurance etc (which all went smoothly).
Congratulations on your application going through! I've had my eye on your time line as we applied a week later, also Mississauga processing, but not heard anything in months so still a while to go.
I'm planning to go to Canada next week though and also enter under Dual intent so looking forward to hearing how you got on with that.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Brooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really niceBrooks52 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brooks52
Hi

Eventually got it to work, had to include my middle name..

Update - Also received confirmation of Sponsor Approval on 24th January, also medical request (booked for 12th Feb)
Medical completed on 12th Feb and by 13th they had updated the website to say medical complete/passed
Old Feb 27th 2018, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

gruffchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Quick update.

yesterday they re-asked for my police record and the scheduled a form, i sent these with my app and resent the scheduled a form in december, so this will be the third one. They also asked for proof/contact? But it only allowed me to up load one document? So I saved a word document explaining that i sent everything with my application, I still have copies of everything but it will only let me upload one thing so please let me know what you need.

Anyway I logged on today and my background check has changed from NA which its been for a week or so to in process. @Hurlabrick
Old Feb 27th 2018, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brooks52
Medical completed on 12th Feb and by 13th they had updated the website to say medical complete/passed
Spreadsheet updated

Originally Posted by gruffchris
Hi All,

Quick update.

yesterday they re-asked for my police record and the scheduled a form, i sent these with my app and resent the scheduled a form in december, so this will be the third one. They also asked for proof/contact? But it only allowed me to up load one document? So I saved a word document explaining that i sent everything with my application, I still have copies of everything but it will only let me upload one thing so please let me know what you need.

Anyway I logged on today and my background check has changed from NA which its been for a week or so to in process. @Hurlabrick
Spreadsheet updated.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

lbellemore is an unknown quantity at this point

hi All,

Great forum here, and it's been a big help so far.

I'm Canadian and my wife is Austrian. We live in London. Just wondering what the best option for applying is. Should we be applying outland, and possibly heading over when I have my Approval to Sponsor, or should we go sooner, my wife on a visitors visa and we apply inland?

We have two small kids and would love to get them into school in September.

Looking forward to your advice.

L.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lbellemore
hi All,

Great forum here, and it's been a big help so far.

I'm Canadian and my wife is Austrian. We live in London. Just wondering what the best option for applying is. Should we be applying inland, and possibly heading over when I have my Approval to Sponsor, or should we go sooner, my wife on a visitors visa and we apply inland?

We have two small kids and would love to get them into school in September.

Looking forward to your advice.

L.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you're not already living in Canada, then applying inland isn't recommended. For info on the reasons why, have a look at our amazing Wiki - Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Have you already got your children's passports/proof of citizenship?

HTH and good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 28th 2018 at 1:07 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:24 am
Just Joined

lbellemore is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the kids already have Canadian passports.

My wife isn't working in the UK so we are OK if she can't work for a while in Canada.

How would she enter Canada then? As a visitor? Would she need to apply for a residency visa or similar? And when would we do this? At the border? Seems risky...

L.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lbellemore
How would she enter Canada then? As a visitor? Would she need to apply for a residency visa or similar? And when would we do this? At the border? Seems risky...
No, you can't apply for PR at the border, it's a bit more involved than that! You would apply for her PR now from the UK, she may not have it in time for your travel, but as linked to above, dual intent would apply if you get a move on and have sponsor approval before you go so she could enter with you no problem and just wait for PR there. Have a read of the FAQ I've given you above, it should all become clear hopefully.

Any other question about the process it's best if you pop them on a new thread, this is really just for timelines.

Thanks and good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 28th 2018 at 8:51 am.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Just received passport request... hopefully at the end of the road. Anyone know when they say photocopy of passport photo page and any amendment, whether the amendments include stamps?
Old Feb 28th 2018, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

avjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond reputeavjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Just received passport request... hopefully at the end of the road. Anyone know when they say photocopy of passport photo page and any amendment, whether the amendments include stamps?
Congrats. Fast enough timeline for you. Your application was sent after mine and I am still not showing that background check as started :-( , although mine is with LVO
Hope the rest of the process goes smoothly for you
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Congratulations - spreadsheet updated.

Just send them a photocopy of the two pages open at the photo page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.