Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

adfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by maggs8247
I really, really wish I had known about this forum earlier!

Can anyone offer advice please - we've applied for PR for my British husband with hopes to move to Canada asap with our three children all born in the UK (I'm Canadian-born). We'd like to go as soon as our house is sold - can anyone give advice on going under dual intent while we wait? I've received sponsorship approval and it says my husband's application is in process but I'm not sure how long it will take now.

Would be very grateful if anyone could share their experience of dual intent!

Thanks all!
I can't speak for the children as I have no experience of that, but I assume they're either citizens already (?) or they're included on the PR application.

As you already have SA, then you can just go to Canada and your husband tells them this. They will be able to punch your names into their computer and find your info. Then they'll give your husband a visa, probably for a year.

I am in your husband's position. My wife was in Canada and we were doing long distance. After my contract in the UK finished, I came to Canada to visit for 3.5 months (I go back at the end of March). The immigration officer took my name and passport info when I told him I had a PR application in, he found me on the computer and said 'this all looks fine' and said that had I not already told him that I'm going back to the UK at the end of March, he'd have given me a visa for dual intent. At this point, I'd not even got SA. My application went in on 6th Nov, and I came to Canada on 16th Dec.

You should be fine!!! Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

maggs8247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adfletch83
I can't speak for the children as I have no experience of that, but I assume they're either citizens already (?) or they're included on the PR application.

As you already have SA, then you can just go to Canada and your husband tells them this. They will be able to punch your names into their computer and find your info. Then they'll give your husband a visa, probably for a year.

I am in your husband's position. My wife was in Canada and we were doing long distance. After my contract in the UK finished, I came to Canada to visit for 3.5 months (I go back at the end of March). The immigration officer took my name and passport info when I told him I had a PR application in, he found me on the computer and said 'this all looks fine' and said that had I not already told him that I'm going back to the UK at the end of March, he'd have given me a visa for dual intent. At this point, I'd not even got SA. My application went in on 6th Nov, and I came to Canada on 16th Dec.

You should be fine!!! Good luck
Thanks so much - that is fantastic! Yes our children are Canadian citizens by birth and we've applied for proof of citizenship. Best of luck to you as you settle in!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im assuming you are doing an outland application?
Basically if you have proof of approval and that the applications have been submitted you simply tell CBSA on arrival in Canada that you would like a visitor record for 12 months under dual intent. You can also apply if eligible for the kids Canadian citizenship as its most likely they have dual citizenship.
Most UK outland applications are taking less than 12 months but your OH is not eligible for the open work permit as that is for inland applications.
Such a relief that it is pretty straightforward - thank you! Yes we're outland, the application is being processed in London. We applied in early October for the children's proof of citizenship. Apparently it takes 12 months at the moment but we'll be able to show proof of that application as well. Thanks again!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kinsielee
Hey everyone!

As we mentioned, we received 'decision made' on Sunday the 3rd. When we click on it it only says 'medical results received'. I'm starting to think that we jumped the gun a little and don't actually have a decision as our lawyers (who admittedly have been quite useless up until this point) have advised us that this isn't the 'good news' we thought it was.
Thoughts?
Originally Posted by Siouxie

Does it say "CIC will contact you with regard to the decision" or something similar? If not, then the decision made is probably in reference to your medical results. It doesn't sound like you are quite there yet but as you have been in process a fair while it shouldn't be too much longer.

Incorrect. My ECAS said Decision Made, no line about CIC will contact me and I received COPR. They will not mark it is as DM unless it is exactly that - a decision made.

I went DM around the same time as you, I recommend emailing them and asking what is going on. No harm no foul.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggs8247
Hello, can you please add me to the spreadsheet with the following info?

Application received in Mississauga 23 October.

Sponsor approved 4 January

Ecas 4 January (being processed in London)

Married

They had the medical results with the application.

Thank you!
Welcome maggs, I have added you to the spreadsheet. Good luck!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andrewbrit
Welcome maggs, I have added you to the spreadsheet. Good luck!
Thank you!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewbrit
Incorrect. My ECAS said Decision Made, no line about CIC will contact me and I received COPR. They will not mark it is as DM unless it is exactly that - a decision made.

I went DM around the same time as you, I recommend emailing them and asking what is going on. No harm no foul.
Then perhaps it has changed then as previously you would receive a 'decision made' after each stage of the process - when sponsorship had been approved, when you had passed the medical requirements and then finally when you were going to be issued a COPR. It also used to be standard that there would be a '..will be in contact about the decision..' on the clicked link when they were issuing the COPR.

Interesting.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 8th 2016 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

chrisco87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Then perhaps it has changed then as previously you would receive a 'decision made' after each stage of the process - when sponsorship had been approved, when you had passed the medical requirements and then finally when you were going to be issued a COPR. It also used to be standard that there would be a '..will be in contact about the decision..' when they were issuing the COPR.

Interesting.
My husband has had decision made since December 20th, and we have received this week the final email asking to send passport photocopies and photos in order for them to complete the PR. But it doesn't say nothing else on ECas.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisco87
My husband has had decision made since December 20th, and we have received this week the final email asking to send passport photocopies and photos in order for them to complete the PR. But it doesn't say nothing else on ECas.
Thanks for the info - so when you click on the 'decision made' link on ECAS it doesn't say anything more? It sounds like it's changed quite a lot..

I think ECAS has a mind of it's own, lol.

Fingers crossed that his COPR comes through soon.

Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bexleybuttler is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question we have had an e-mail saying that my wife has SA and they have now started to process my PR on ecas but now both parts say in process... Does the SA part stay at in process until the PR has been approved / DM?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Normally is says Decision Made, but remember that the status of your ECAS is down to the person working on it, and as such it is not 100% consistent. There are cases of applicants receiving their COPR when the SA status says In Process - do not worry.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info - so when you click on the 'decision made' link on ECAS it doesn't say anything more? It sounds like it's changed quite a lot..

I think ECAS has a mind of it's own, lol.

Fingers crossed that his COPR comes through soon.

No, it just says the same as it did when it was showing In Process, i.e., medicals have been received, we started processing the application on this date, etc.

Thank you, I hope too we can receive the COPR shortly
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

I have just received a package from London with the originals of documents we had sent, i.e. wedding certificate and our flat lease. Is it common procedure for them to give it back to us?
Old Jan 9th 2016, 2:06 am
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

Landed on 4th Jan, yippee!!!!

No flagpoling required, we just made an appointment with the immigration authorities in Etobicoke. There was a gigantic queue, and it didn't help that the electronic number system broke down, but once things got back up and running, we were processed pretty quickly. The big advantage of this was that we could get our social insurance numbers the same day from another counter in the same room. Registered yesterday with OHIP, got added to husband's company health and pension insurance scheme (he works for Canada Post) and now we just have to sit back and wait for the various cards!
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by anglogerman
Landed on 4th Jan, yippee!!!!

No flagpoling required, we just made an appointment with the immigration authorities in Etobicoke. There was a gigantic queue, and it didn't help that the electronic number system broke down, but once things got back up and running, we were processed pretty quickly. The big advantage of this was that we could get our social insurance numbers the same day from another counter in the same room. Registered yesterday with OHIP, got added to husband's company health and pension insurance scheme (he works for Canada Post) and now we just have to sit back and wait for the various cards!

Congratulations and welcome to Canada eh!

Don't be a stranger, hang around and feel free to pop into the other Canada forums too - it's always good to hear from people about their experiences or to offer insight from a newcomers point of view!

Did you know we also have a Canniversary thread? You can update everyone on how you are settling in or how you are finding being in Canada - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/

Attached Thumbnails Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London-welcome-home-canada-cake.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 9th 2016 at 7:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.