Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Ashpo
That part will be just fine. We'll be including bank statements for proof of funds should he need to fly back to the UK, and a letter of support from me (I'll be continuing full time work while we wait).
We do have his UCI number from previous visa applications, and included in our sponsorship application. I'm going to assume that would be helpful combined with the official receipt in assessing whether there is an application in progress, but I will of course include a letter of explanation as well.
If you apply via snail mail rather than online then that will give you extra time. Your husband will have implied status as a visitor if his IEC expires before you hear back RE: change of status. I think that change of status application via snail mail take over a month, which may allow you to be approved as sponsor in the mean time.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
If you apply via snail mail rather than online then that will give you extra time. Your husband will have implied status as a visitor if his IEC expires before you hear back RE: change of status. I think that change of status application via snail mail take over a month, which may allow you to be approved as sponsor in the mean time.

+1

Present processing times for paper applications is 44 days (online is 15 days) - and he will have implied visitor status whilst you are waiting for a decision.

Processing times: Temporary Residence

Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

derrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update with my landing experience and I have some questions now because I think I may have made life a bit harder for myself now! Thought the stress was over, but I guess it doesn't end.

I landed at the Carway border crossing on Saturday, there was a bit of a wait getting to the American side because of it being a holiday weekend (sort of), but once we got there, it was a 5 minute wait inside and then I got my refusal and was told to have a nice day, no issues.

When I returned to the Canadian side and pulled up at the window, the border officer was not in a good mood. I told him I was planning to land and he questioned me as to why I didn't land in Edmonton. I told him there was an 8 week wait for an interview and I needed to land before that time. He again wasn't happy and proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't have come here and they might not even be able to process my landing and he had already sent people back to Edmonton today without their PR status (at this point my fiance is getting quite worried). I politely told him I was just following the instructions I was provided by CIC. I then got told that I wasn't a priority and they would be processing everyone else before me and there was still no guarantee they would do it, but I should go park and come inside and wait. I personally didn't think any of that was necessary but that's what happened anyway.

So in I went, handed over my paperwork, got pointed to the waiting room. About an hour later got called out to the desk, asked to sign the two COPR forms and got told 'You are done, off you go'. Didn't get asked any questions or anything like that, and was afraid to ask any myself...

Not the most pleasant experience, but at least it's done now. I suppose it would be good for people here to know that some of the border officers definitely don't want to be see people flagpole. regardless of whether it stated you can on your COPR correspondence or what CIC tells you.

Anyway, on to my other question, hopefully someone knowledgeable can help me out. I made the silly mistake of assuming once I became a PR I could travel to and from Canada without problems, but I looked into it today and there may an issue travelling before you receive your PR card in the post. I will be travelling back to the UK to get married in August and I doubt I will have my card by then. Does anyone know if I will encounter any issues returning to Canada without the card if I am coming from a Visa exempt country?

Help appreciated!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

derrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud ofderrykboyd has much to be proud of

Also a second questions I had, when I was handing in my documents at the Canada crossings, I was asked if I had ever been refused entry into Canada or another country. I answered no and was told that, as of today I had and if anyone ever asks me that question again I should say yes.

Is this going to cause any problems travelling in the future?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derrykboyd
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update with my landing experience and I have some questions now because I think I may have made life a bit harder for myself now! Thought the stress was over, but I guess it doesn't end.

I landed at the Carway border crossing on Saturday, there was a bit of a wait getting to the American side because of it being a holiday weekend (sort of), but once we got there, it was a 5 minute wait inside and then I got my refusal and was told to have a nice day, no issues.

When I returned to the Canadian side and pulled up at the window, the border officer was not in a good mood. I told him I was planning to land and he questioned me as to why I didn't land in Edmonton. I told him there was an 8 week wait for an interview and I needed to land before that time. He again wasn't happy and proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't have come here and they might not even be able to process my landing and he had already sent people back to Edmonton today without their PR status (at this point my fiance is getting quite worried). I politely told him I was just following the instructions I was provided by CIC. I then got told that I wasn't a priority and they would be processing everyone else before me and there was still no guarantee they would do it, but I should go park and come inside and wait. I personally didn't think any of that was necessary but that's what happened anyway.

So in I went, handed over my paperwork, got pointed to the waiting room. About an hour later got called out to the desk, asked to sign the two COPR forms and got told 'You are done, off you go'. Didn't get asked any questions or anything like that, and was afraid to ask any myself...

Not the most pleasant experience, but at least it's done now. I suppose it would be good for people here to know that some of the border officers definitely don't want to be see people flagpole. regardless of whether it stated you can on your COPR correspondence or what CIC tells you.

Anyway, on to my other question, hopefully someone knowledgeable can help me out. I made the silly mistake of assuming once I became a PR I could travel to and from Canada without problems, but I looked into it today and there may an issue travelling before you receive your PR card in the post. I will be travelling back to the UK to get married in August and I doubt I will have my card by then. Does anyone know if I will encounter any issues returning to Canada without the card if I am coming from a Visa exempt country?

Help appreciated!
I am so sorry you were put through that - what a total jobsworth you got

I would seriously consider putting in a complaint about the officer.

You received an administrative refusal, not a refusal of entry.

You can travel on your British Passport though you should be prepared that you might be questioned by the airline (possibly) and/or the CBSA on return. Lots of people do and they can't refuse you entry just because you don't have your PR card. You could show the airline your COPR (keep it safe, you will need it for your pension later!) or if you travel on Air Canada they accept travellers without a PR card. aircanada.com - Travel documents

If you want to do it the 'official' way, you would obtain a travel permit from CIC in London. Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad)

Regardless...

Congratulations on becoming a PR and welcome to Canada eh!
Attached Thumbnails Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London-welcome.jpg  
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:00 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

Help appreciated!
Sorry to hear of your bad experience, sounds a lot like when Becki567 landed, she went to the same border crossing and they were exactly the same with her. I'd definitely look at sending in a complaint if it's the norm at this border crossing. You shouldn't have a problem in the future as Siouxie said. I flagpoled with one of my IEC work permits and I always answer "no" when asked if I have been refused. I've never had any problems.

Thankfully it's all done now. Congratulations

Last edited by jennellapea; Jun 30th 2014 at 9:04 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Just a question re UCI number, I have a UCI number from visitor visa extensions. Should I put this number on my Spousal sponsorship forms?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I am so sorry you were put through that - what a total jobsworth you got

I would seriously consider putting in a complaint about the officer.

You can travel on your British Passport though you should be prepared that you might be questioned by the airline (possibly) and/or the CBSA on return. Lots of people do and they can't refuse you entry just because you don't have your PR card. You could show the airline your COPR (keep it safe, you will need it for your pension later!) or if you travel on Air Canada they accept travellers without a PR card. aircanada.com - Travel documents

If you want to do it the 'official' way, you would obtain a travel permit from CIC in London. Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad)

Regardless...

Congratulations on becoming a PR and welcome to Canada eh!
Thanks Siouxie

Yeah I saw that Air Canada would let me fly, but unfortunately I am flying with Aer Lingus and they don't have that information on their website. I tried phoning them and the lady I talked to wouldn't give me an answer, she just kept saying I should check with the embassy don't know how that is going to help me at the airport though. I think they will let me fly, but I don't want to leave anything to chance, I will look into the temporary travel document when I get to Belfast.

Fingers crossed for no more stress haha
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
So what the border officer said was incorrect? If it is an administrative refusal do I need to state that on any future forms or at ports of entry when asked?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:16 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Princesstigger
Just a question re UCI number, I have a UCI number from visitor visa extensions. Should I put this number on my Spousal sponsorship forms?
Yeah
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

alfgrimur is an unknown quantity at this point

not really sure what to do. i sent my application and canada post confirmed its delivery on 8th april and haven't heard anything from CIC since the start. it was quite a sizeable package due to all the supporting documents. I tried ringing the help line but I have not got a client ID number yet so cannot identify myself. any ideas on how to proceed?
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

oneday1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all;

i also have a little update... my husband's (scottish, me canadian) medical results were received (via ECAS) sometime the week of June 9th (I don't check it daily as we're only 3 months in).

also, he's entered canada with dual intent. he had our receipt, the sponsorhip letter and not much else. he flew dublin - > st. johns and had a pretty great experience with immigration ( though I was terrified because everyone else came off the flight so i thought he missed his flight or was being sent back.. sigh) they asked him how much money he had and where i worked etc. the lady was thorough but nice; he was given a 1 year visitor visa (STAPLED!) to his passport...

that's all for now
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:52 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

So what the border officer said was incorrect? If it is an administrative refusal do I need to state that on any future forms or at ports of entry when asked?
Do not pay any attention to that agent. And never go to that one again. I agree you should put in a complaint perhaps via your MP.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Ashpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Thanks for the advice. I guess we'll have to start getting that ready very soon, then! The start of the 30-day period before his IEC expires is coming up towards the end of July, but as long as our application to switch to visitor status is posted and dated before that, I suppose it's acceptable?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashpo
Thanks for the advice. I guess we'll have to start getting that ready very soon, then! The start of the 30-day period before his IEC expires is coming up towards the end of July, but as long as our application to switch to visitor status is posted and dated before that, I suppose it's acceptable?
I sent mine off a week before my IEC expired. As long as they receive your application before the IEC expires it's all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.