Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Nov 12th 2013, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by disneyloo
I moved back to England to live with him 2 1/2 months ago so at least we are on the road to another consistent 12 months should we be rejected.
I'm not sure you're understanding why you might be rejected tbh. Judging from your previous posts, it's the fact that you lived together that is the problem, not the fact that you haven't!

Because you'd lived together for a year or more by the time you 'landed' to activate your PR, that's a big problem - as you should have declared him as your CL spouse prior to landing (or even when landing, when asked if you'd got any material changes to report).

So living together now isn't going to help if you're refused for misrepresentation, and the fact that your partner didn't undergo a medical then means that he potentially can never be sponsored under Family Class.

I hope your immigration lawyer has advised you on this, and on the possibility of your own PR being revoked because you didn't declare your partner?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukcanjdl
Hi, here is another new update for the spreadsheet we got our decision made!!!!!!!!! (11.11.2013) good luck to all the people still waiting!!
Congrats!!

Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by disneyloo
Please could anyone advise/help on this latest update.

I have been emailed to say we may not be eligible for approval of sponsorship. I submitted my PR application in October 2011 in which my boyfriend and I had been living together for 7 months. However, I did not declare him on my forms at this time. I obtained my PR status August 2012 and submitted our application for sponsorship for him in February 2013.

These are a couple of paragraphs received:

As per subsection 117(9) you do not appear to be a member of the family class because, according to the available information, you had been living in a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least seven months at the time she submitted her permanent residence application in 2011 and had completed one year of cohabitation by the time she obtained a permanent residence visa in July, 2012. Although you were her family member, your sponsor never declared you as such during the processing of her permanent residence application or before she became a permanent resident of Canada in August, 2012.

'Before I make a final decision, you may submit additional information relating to this assessment. You must provide any additional information within sixty days from the date of this letter. If you choose not to respond with additional information I will make my decision based on the information before me, which may result in the refusal of your application'.

Sorry this is a long message, but can anyone advise what we can do to rectify this problem.

I moved back from Vancouver to the UK last month as being apart was terrible as we were living an ocean apart for over a year! I need to keep my residency so need to get back to Canada asap but don't want to come back alone!

Oh dear.

You should have notified CIC at the point where you had lived together for 12 months and became common-law or at the very latest prior to you 'landing' as a PR. Because you didn't, he is not counted as family class and you can't sponsor him. You have also risked your PR status as you misrepresented when you didn't add him.

I would ask your Immigration advisor for advice and immediate assistance as there is little chance of you overcoming this, unless an application for humanitarian consideration is possible.

Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:14 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

I got some good news today, after my little whoopsy at leaving out the family form and having my application returned, my bf was approved as my sponsor today.

Happy days.

Now for some more waiting
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:04 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukcanjdl
Hi, here is another new update for the spreadsheet we got our decision made!!!!!!!!! (11.11.2013) good luck to all the people still waiting!!
Updated!! Congrats!!

jennellapea - you're on the spreadsheet as jennfwa right? Looks like someone already updated you!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:46 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
I thought I read that cards were to be replaced by certificates (...or perhaps I'm thinking of "Citizenship Cards" are now certificates)....sorry!

6-8 weeks would be fine, it's about 6 weeks now since she landed....just wondering if there was any cause for concern yet, but I guess not.

Many thanks
Mine took almost exactly 2 months so I wouldn't be worrying just yet.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:53 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Mine took almost exactly 2 months so I wouldn't be worrying just yet.
My husband's was also about 8 weeks on the nose.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 4:28 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Updated!! Congrats!!

jennellapea - you're on the spreadsheet as jennfwa right? Looks like someone already updated you!
Yep, that's me (my username on the other forum)
Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:23 am
Just Joined

TOhereicome is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

So My sponsor has been approved in Jun and I am patiently waiting for my COPR to be issued but as of yet nothing, and no update on ecas either, even those people who applied at similar times already have their COPR.

Anyways, I am british and my wife who is sponsoring me is canadian and at present we are both residing in dubai together. Our lease is ending in Jan at which point my wife is thinking to move back to Toronto. I am hoping my COPR is issued by then and I can move with her, otherwise I would have the option to either stay on in Dubai for a while till I get the COPR, go back to the uk for a while or go to Canada and wait there until the COPR is issued. The only downside to that though is that I won't be able to work.

In either case, will it affect my application in anyway and would I need to inform CIC of my change in status? If lets say I went to Canada and waited for a while till the COPR came through do I need to submit anymore docs to them or anything or do I just continue to wait it out?

I just want a resolution to this soon so I can have some kind of stability and time to plan.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

reenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My husband did it, when he got back to Canada he told the border officer that he was a PR but his card hasn't arrived yet, no issues. He had copies of COPR and landing paperwork just in case but he wasn't asked for it.
That's good to hear. I want to fly back to England in the next few weeks and I'm still waiting for my card. The application for a travel document seems very unreliable, you have to either go in person ( all the way in London) or send it in the mail with your passport! That's seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Only want to go back for a week and the processing time is 7 days, so I'm unlikely to get it. Fingers crossed I have no problems eeek!

Sorry to go on... The link about air Canada confuses me, it actually says on the link you have to provide a pr card so where is everyone getting this info that air Canada may be a safe bet if you don't have your pr card?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:51 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Background checks for some countries of residence can indeed take a long time - over a year even.
If one is a UK citizen then it is not difficult to board any airline because you do not need a visa to enter Canada. The Air Canada instruction is general so it includes citizens of countries that do require a visa to enter Canada.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

reenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Background checks for some countries of residence can indeed take a long time - over a year even.
If one is a UK citizen then it is not difficult to board any airline because you do not need a visa to enter Canada. The Air Canada instruction is general so it includes citizens of countries that do require a visa to enter Canada.
Great thanks Jim, fingers crossed I don't have any problems :s so am I right in thinking that the main issue is boarding the airline not getting through customs after?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reenie87
Great thanks Jim, fingers crossed I don't have any problems :s so am I right in thinking that the main issue is boarding the airline not getting through customs after?
YES thats exactly the point will the airline at the other end let you board the aircraft. If you get on the aircraft then CBSA can easily check your status once you arrive back in Canada.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

John_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud ofJohn_01 has much to be proud of

Update to my timeline: just got an email asking for another RCMP fingerprint check. Presumably either the one I submitted originally expired (I can't remember how long they're valid for), or someone with a name like mine has gotten up to no good.

(actually, I had a similar request for my last Working Holiday Visa application, so I think it's the second. Some criminal with a name like mine owes me two sets of fingerprinting fees!).
Old Nov 15th 2013, 9:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by John_01
Update to my timeline: just got an email asking for another RCMP fingerprint check. Presumably either the one I submitted originally expired (I can't remember how long they're valid for), or someone with a name like mine has gotten up to no good.

(actually, I had a similar request for my last Working Holiday Visa application, so I think it's the second. Some criminal with a name like mine owes me two sets of fingerprinting fees!).
Updated your info request!!

I think it was markstimson also had a request for more fingerprints as he shares a name and birthday with someone naughty, and had similar requests - just means it may take a touch longer, but at least you know it's moving!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.