Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline Question - Spousal Application

Timeline Question - Spousal Application

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Timeline Question - Spousal Application

Hi guys

This is my first real post other than meet and greet so I hope I don't manage to break any rules with this.

The question is regarding timelines for a spousal application that has just been submitted. I am heading for Vancouver with my Canadian wife when everything comes through. I am initially planning on doing that in 18 months. Well, as long as the housing market has recovered here by then :-)

Cheers for any help guys
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 12:35 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Timeline Question - Spousal Application

if you've sent off the app with the medical like you're supposed to, you have one year from the medical date to 'land'. of course you can always return to the UK if the house is not sold.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Shedboy

Sorry to bug you but I dont understand your answer. I haven't got my PR yet, I have just sent off for it and yes I did send off the medical. The rumours are that it takes between 6-8m months to get a PR but I wondered if anyone had more recent news on this.

I would think that you cannot land until the PR comes through.

Hopefully this explanation makes more sense to you

Cheers for any answers
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by londonhatter
Hi Shedboy

Sorry to bug you but I dont understand your answer. I haven't got my PR yet, I have just sent off for it and yes I did send off the medical. The rumours are that it takes between 6-8m months to get a PR but I wondered if anyone had more recent news on this.

I would think that you cannot land until the PR comes through.

Hopefully this explanation makes more sense to you

Cheers for any answers
Check out the average processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../menu-perm.asp
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:31 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Londonhatter, what I meant is, your medical is only valid for 12 months. so if you are not planning to land for 18 months, you may struggle. you have to go over initially before that expires.

last time I checked, you should be waiting a max of 9 months depending on all the docs submitted.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Shedboy

That should be ok actually. We are planning to go over and vist the wifes family in Jan\feb next year so maybe I can land at that point

Thanks for the reply
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:22 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

Good luck, let us know how it pans out. I'm applying the same route!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Eek, sorry I have been calling you shedboy

Thanks for your help Sheadboy and good luck. Sounds like we will apply the same route at the same time ish.

You heading to Vancouver or elsewhere ?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! FYI We also applied for spousal PR visa from the UK: It's a 2 part process; CIC in Mississauga establishing your spouse's credentials as a sponsor. We applied early Nov '07 and received approval in 4 weeks. The file then went to CHC London and my spouse's file started processing 4th Jan '08 and we received our request for Passports 26/3/08. My Partner has just been up to London and submitted her passport personally today; she needs to go back in 2 weeks to pick it up; then its the Maple Leaf pub in Covent Garden to celebrate with Moosehead!!

Hope this helps!

Dr.T
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:53 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

Originally Posted by londonhatter
Eek, sorry I have been calling you shedboy

Thanks for your help Sheadboy and good luck. Sounds like we will apply the same route at the same time ish.

You heading to Vancouver or elsewhere ?
naw we're the other end of the country...we're heading to Ottawa.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Dr. T

Blimey, are you telling me that after submitting in Jan to London that 4 months later and you are 'in' as it were. What is left after the passport stage?

My wife is currently updating her Canadian passport.

I have submitted my application today so I may drop in the Maple Leaf over the weekend to celebrate myself.

Best of Luck
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Dr.T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi London Hatter,

Yes, these are indeed the timelines. Having said that; the 'run up' is what took the time. My Partner and I spent 3 weeks in BC last August doing our 'research' as to where we wanted to settle down to retire/semi retire in BC (I'm 59 and my Partner is 55) and met with an immigration lawyer in downtown Vancouver as part of the process. She briefed us on all that we'd need to prove the legitimacy of our relationship to the satisfaction of CIC: (not a trivial task I can assure you! You wouldn't believe all we had to produce as supporting evidence!) That said, if you go through it methodically, you'll be alright. We took two months to gather the evidence and submitted it to CIC via our lawyer in Nov.

Personally we found using someone who knew the ropes to be advantageous, especially time wise (we never had a request for more information) but you'll find on the site here that some people favour doing it yourself, while others favour working through an immigration lawyer. My personal view is that there's no 'right way' to do it, it depends on your personal circumstances and what works best for you.

Now to your question about what's next: after you pick up your passport w/visa (and celebrate of course!) you need to arrive at a Canadian port of entry within the shorter of: the validity of your passport AND the anniversary of your medical. In our case its by October 14th. They review your documents, ask a few questions, give you a form to fill out an address to send your PR card(s) to and your 'in'. By the way, make sure that not only does your passport have a long validity date, but also that there are at least TWO pages vacant for them to insert the PR visa. Also they will only send the PR cards to a Canadian address and not a P.O. box so you'll need someone over there to accept it and forward it to you in the UK if you're not going to be in Canada at that time. It takes anywhere from one week to 5/6 weeks to get the PR card after you've Landed. They say ~30 days but it seems to fluxuate.

Hope this helps, if you've any other questions I'm sure that someone will have the answer for you on this website; its a great one, the people on it are very helpful and supportive, especially as many have gone through it themselves and know how you feel!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dr T

Am using Avatar for better or for worse. I guess I will only know by the end result.

We spent a while aquiring documents too. Even down to signed affidavits about how the relationship started etc and who was there, which family members has she met and when eek. Also managed a photo of us at the wedding with all 90 guests. Damn, if your not getting married nothing is worth getting 90 people together for after all.

We are planning a trip to Vancouver to see the mother in law in Jan so hopefully if I get approval before then I can land at that time and then get them to send the PR to the wifes mothers house.

Sounds like a plan eh.

Thanks for the great advice

Good luck