Timeline to PR file number

Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timeline to PR file number

I applied for PR following my provincial nomination in Alberta 5 weeks ago. Has anybody got any idea how long CIC take to issue a file number? I am looking to apply for a bridging open WP. But the way I am reading it I cannot apply until CIC have confirmed the application is complete & issued a file number? Any ideas?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

mbgirlfriend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Timeline to PR file number

If you have a job offer in writing you should be able to get a closed work permit with your PNP nomination. You may have to phone the PNP office and ask for a letter from them. Without a job offer then you have to wait for the CIC number.

From what I have read about other people's time lines getting the number can take anywhere from a few weeks to months.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbgirlfriend
Without a job offer then you have to wait for the CIC number.
That's not actually correct. To get a Bridging Open Work Permit the OP doesn't need a file number from CIC or a job offer, he just needs nomination from the PNP and to be on a TWP that expires in less than 4 months.

OP, here's the info you need re: BOWP's for those who have nomination, see the bottom paragraph in the eligibility section - Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Provincial nominees or permanent residence applications – Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 20th 2014 at 6:59 pm. Reason: Have, not gave!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

To expand a little..... I have been working for the same employer for 20 months. They can get me another WP linked to the company as I have been nominated by the province, when my present one runs out. From my point of view an open WP is far more desirable.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's not actually correct. To get a Bridging Open Work Permit the OP doesn't need a file number from CIC or a job offer, he just needs nomination from the PNP and to be on a TWP that expires in less than 4 months.

OP, here's the info you need re: BOWP's for those who have nomination, see the bottom paragraph in the eligibility section - Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Provincial nominees or permanent residence applications – Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants

HTH.
I still get the impression that he needs the file number from CIC and not just the PNP approval letter the in order to get the open work permit from the description on this link. It say positive assessment on PR application.

"they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their permanent residence application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and"

I didn't think a letter of approval from PNP was the same as a positive assessment on PR application. I was under the impression that the number you receive from CIC was to indicate you were eligible?

I could be wrong but that is my understanding of this link. And everything else I have read about getting a work permit with just a PNP nomination stated that you needed a job offer and that it would likely be a closed work permit. I will see if I can find the links to that.

Also, if a person is a TFW wouldn't they already usually have a job offer?

Last edited by mbgirlfriend; Nov 20th 2014 at 7:31 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Welcome BC - Skills Immigration

"If you are currently working in B.C. on a temporary work permit, your employer will need to offer you an indeterminate position without an end date"
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

My understanding is I that I only get the file number once the application has been accepted as complete by CIC.
Whether the WP is open or closed seems to be a lottery in practical terms. Some get one tied to their employer. Others get an open one. Doing the same job at the same company.
Hence my original question.
I am in Alberta, not BC.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alandoug
My understanding is I that I only get the file number once the application has been accepted as complete by CIC.
Whether the WP is open or closed seems to be a lottery in practical terms. Some get one tied to their employer. Others get an open one. Doing the same job at the same company.
Hence my original question.
I am in Alberta, not BC.
lol actually I realized I put the wrong link up anyway. I am doing to many things at once today. And navigating from different forums.

But basically you should be able to get a WP of some kind with your nomination. I have heard on other forums that some people get an closed one with their nomination but others have got an open one when they were sure it was suppose to be a closed one. I think sometimes it depends on who issues you the permit. They are human and can make mistakes when issuing the permits check the wrong box.