British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Timeline - FSW application to CIO in Sydney, NS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/timeline-fsw-application-cio-sydney-ns-621358/)

Gaz67 Jan 8th 2010 8:30 pm

Re: Timeline - FSW application to CIO in Sydney, NS

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy (Post 8229691)
Martin,
The climate mostly, winters similar to Uk, but summers better and more predicable that Scotland. People very polite and helpful. We felt relaxed and at home whilst we were there.
We noticed the city centre was not have as crowded as Glasgow. I only noticed 2 people smoking in public(in fact they were in their car). You look at Glasgow city centre, everyone is on the phone, head down avoiding social contact. I am not meaning to be down on Glasgow...there is nowhere else I would rather live in the UK. I'll miss the sense of humour. I never noticed the down side to Glasgow until we arrived back in the Airport. Left the terminal building and was engulfed with cigarette smoke, swearing and grey grim faces. We are going down to 'white rock' in South Surrey. My friend describes White Rock as having its own climate (in a good way) The schools look good down that way.
What we noticed about Vancouver was that its a very outdoor kind of life. The other major pull for me are all the beaches...I'd find it hard being in the interior of Canada, I think.
We are really sad we sit at night and watch CBC Vancouver on the PC to get a feel for the place. We go on google maps and look at the houses round the area we want to settle in, also. Total saddos!!
Whilst the East side probably holds more employment opportunity, it just doesn't have the pull for me.

linsy

Hi Linsy

I think a lot of us are going for the same reasons as yourself, we have the option to settle in BC assuming we get PR but we are choosing to go Inland we spent a few days in Vancouver and loved it and i have a lot of family there, but I dont want to be in and around a big city again.

Like Glasgow we are from Liverpool and after coming back home back in May we realised even more negatives bout our hometown then before we visited BC. I found everyone we met and i mean everyone polite and very helpful and the whole family friendly atmosphere was good too.

I also didnt see anyone smoking and didnt realise this till we landed back in the UK :D

Before my uncle settled in Kamloops he lived in White Rock for many years and loved it.

The only problem we are having is deciding where to settle in BC because it was all good. Everyday we are checking everything Canadian, browsing houses etc. Aint looked at any TV online but good idea we will try that or rather I may have tried it in the past but our internet connection was poop.
Google earthing it all the time and even sadder now they do google street view :eek:

Talking of beaches have you seen the vast amount inland on the lakes and rivers Kelowna has 300km of beach at one point. Not the seaside I know but was just as nice :thumbsup:

Good Luck on your choice and everyone else on here

Gaz

Gaz67 Jan 8th 2010 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Martin99 (Post 8229393)
Good luck with the house sale, Gaz. It will be an issue for many of us on this thread.

Cheers

Martin

Thanx Martin, good luck to everyone on that front .

I believe Gordon Brown is telling us the housing market is looking rosy early 2010 and hes surely a man we can trust :p

Martin99 Jan 8th 2010 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gaz67 (Post 8230009)
Thanx Martin, good luck to everyone on that front .

I believe Gordon Brown is telling us the housing market is looking rosy early 2010 and hes surely a man we can trust :p

Well, if he says it then it must be true!!

Martin99 Jan 8th 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy (Post 8229691)
Martin,
The climate mostly, winters similar to Uk, but summers better and more predicable that Scotland. People very polite and helpful. We felt relaxed and at home whilst we were there.
We noticed the city centre was not have as crowded as Glasgow. I only noticed 2 people smoking in public(in fact they were in their car). You look at Glasgow city centre, everyone is on the phone, head down avoiding social contact. I am not meaning to be down on Glasgow...there is nowhere else I would rather live in the UK. I'll miss the sense of humour. I never noticed the down side to Glasgow until we arrived back in the Airport. Left the terminal building and was engulfed with cigarette smoke, swearing and grey grim faces. We are going down to 'white rock' in South Surrey. My friend describes White Rock as having its own climate (in a good way) The schools look good down that way.
What we noticed about Vancouver was that its a very outdoor kind of life. The other major pull for me are all the beaches...I'd find it hard being in the interior of Canada, I think.
We are really sad we sit at night and watch CBC Vancouver on the PC to get a feel for the place. We go on google maps and look at the houses round the area we want to settle in, also. Total saddos!!
Whilst the East side probably holds more employment opportunity, it just doesn't have the pull for me.

linsy

Thanks, Linsy

Just read your posting to my wife and you have really set us thinking! You make White Rock sound well worth considering. Watch this space.

Cheers

Martin

LinsyPinsy Jan 8th 2010 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Martin99 (Post 8230146)
Thanks, Linsy

Just read your posting to my wife and you have really set us thinking! You make White Rock sound well worth considering. Watch this space.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,
:eek:Oh bugger...I need to stop mentioning White Rock to people....I keep convincing people how lovely it is and that means there will be less jobs/houses/school places/GP's to go round when we go cos they will have taking them all!:ohmy:
Na, White Rock's rubbish. I've heard the interior of Canada is lovely...Kamloops is lovely this time of year.;) Hahahahahaha

Alphawolf Jan 9th 2010 11:23 am

Finally received our Medicals Request this morning, the relief is unbelievable I can't even begin to describe it.

My heart nearly stopped when I saw that brown envelope in our post!!! :D

Now to get them booked and we're nearly there :thumbup::thumbsup:

Gaz67 Jan 9th 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mags1972 (Post 8231783)
Finally received our Medicals Request this morning, the relief is unbelievable I can't even begin to describe it.

Great News :0) another one on the wagon lol

Gaz

Bali2010 Jan 9th 2010 11:26 am

Great news
:thumbsup:

Glam Jan 9th 2010 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Bali2010 (Post 8231792)
Great news
:thumbsup:

We sent our docs back at the start of dec, just wondering how long its likely to take to get the A.O.R nevermind the meds request etc???

Gav.

joinerboy Jan 9th 2010 11:39 am

Hi Buddy
This is great good news I'm really pleased for you
as I know you been waiting for this day, at least now you know your points and doc's are fine. All the best with your meds which DMP are you using Leeds
or Manchester ?

Regards
your old pal Joinerboy

Alphawolf Jan 9th 2010 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Glam (Post 8231823)
We sent our docs back at the start of dec, just wondering how long its likely to take to get the A.O.R nevermind the meds request etc???

Gav.

Hi Gav,
I would imagine you'll be receiving your AOR anytime in the next week or two, ours was a 2 week wait but they've slowed down abit since then, that was back in August, have a look at others timelines on this thread to get some sort of idea

Mags:thumbup:

Alphawolf Jan 9th 2010 11:51 am

Originally Posted by joinerboy (Post 8231828)
Hi Buddy
This is great good news I'm really pleased for you
as I know you been waiting for this day, at least now you know your points and doc's are fine. All the best with your meds which DMP are you using Leeds
or Manchester ?

Regards
your old pal Joinerboy

Thanks Buddy, yeah I know you know how worried we were getting, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted :D
I've just printed off the DMP list and theres no listing for Leeds, so will look at Manchester or Nottingham is probably closer for us.
Who did you use pal and what were they like?

How are your landing preps going?

Mags

joinerboy Jan 9th 2010 12:01 pm

We used Mary Adams in Manchester we were in & out in about 20 mins
Leeds used to be on the list I remember calling them at the time we were arranging our meds . But Doctor Adams was cheaper and could fit us in sooner.

Regarding our landing we are going book our flights not decided if we will land either in Jan or Mar
as we want to explore a bit of the areas (AB & BC ) and want to be able to get out and about so heavy snow may restrict us a bit . Also we are going to see
the ' dog whisperer' in March .
Regards
Joinerboy

humanist Jan 9th 2010 12:03 pm

I can imagine what that felt like! Congratulations, you're pretty much there.

....I think I might faint with relief if and when my med requests come through.

Alphawolf Jan 9th 2010 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by humanist (Post 8231873)
I can imagine what that felt like! Congratulations, you're pretty much there.

....I think I might faint with relief if and when my med requests come through.

Thanks pal, I pray you get yours soon, I know your timeline is nearly identical to mine and you can put your OH mind at rest :fingerscrossed: