Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline and changes in regulations

Wikiposts

Timeline and changes in regulations

Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all
Default Timeline and changes in regulations

Hi,

OH is planning to apply as a skilled worker - a very conservative self assessment gives us 73 points.

Gulp, also just saw the processing times - 60 months before the London Office even look at our application What if the regulations change - we may not qualify in 5 years time

Are there any differences on how permanent residents on an Investor Visa(was toying with the idea of applying under this category, if it is quicker) and on a skilled worker visa treated - access to public schools, healthcare etc?

Under the investor category, we have the requisite funds (legitimately owned), but no business experience. We are both in senior management positions (not CEO/CFO, but heading divisions in one of the largest banks). I would definitely use a migration agent in this case, but was wondering what our chances are and whether it is any quicker! Also can we look for jobs if we enter Canada on an investor's visa?

Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:15 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Timeline and changes in regulations

Business class used to be processed at par with skilled workers class or even slower in the past. But looks like all is changing quite rapidly. Now Investor's application under Quebec Investor Immigration Program can be completed, both stages (Quebec and federal) from start to visa, in under 18 months, and in some cases even several months faster, with average time for my clients cases in Asia hovering steady around 14 - 16 months from start to finish and for clients from Europe about the same in total, although they wait little longer for Quebec stage, while federal stage is much faster for them.

I deal a lot with both, federal and Quebec Investor class applications and see a shift in past 18 months in the processing times of federal program. In many visa posts it is catching up with total processing time for both stages in Quebec program. Just as examples - in Sep 2006 I submitted federal simplified application in Investor class to Beijing where wait used to be 4 to 7 years and I got request for full package last October, now we are only waiting for medical papers; another client's federal Investor simplified application was submitted to London in November 2006 and in late July 2007 we received request for full package which was submitted in early October and finally we got request for medicals in first days of December. With another Investor case submitted to London in May 2007 we received request for full package this week. So, things are speeding up.

If you don't want to wait 5+ (or many more) years for skilled workers application to be processed, if you are not able to get arranged employment in Canada then Investor class may be an option if you can qualify for it and can afford it. With available financing options it is not so bad anyway.

Senior management experience may be used to qualify as Investor, business experience is not always needed.

Please email me directly for free evaluation of your chances and see what other options may be available for you.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 7th 2008 at 12:20 am.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:29 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kassy
Are there any differences on how permanent residents on an Investor Visa(was toying with the idea of applying under this category, if it is quicker) and on a skilled worker visa treated - access to public schools, healthcare etc?
No difference at all after becoming a PR.

The only difference (quite recent event) may be during the application process when medical inadmissibility due to excessive demand on health and social programs may come into the picture. Recent federal court decision makes easier for Investors to overcome such inadmissibility.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Thanks Andrew, will do
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:11 am
Just Joined

netreg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kassy
Hi,

OH is planning to apply as a skilled worker - a very conservative self assessment gives us 73 points.

Gulp, also just saw the processing times - 60 months before the London Office even look at our application What if the regulations change - we may not qualify in 5 years time
can i ask where you saw the 60 months from.. where i am looking it is still 42 - 48 months ?

[edit] its ok, found it the 60 months on cic.gc.ca where as the (albeit dated) the UK site canada.org.uk says 42 - 48 months..

thanks
Darren

Last edited by netreg; Jan 7th 2008 at 8:33 am. Reason: updated info