Timeline?? Advice needed

Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of
Default Timeline?? Advice needed

My Canadian wife and I have decided to move to Canada. What is the easiest way for me to get into and to stay in the country. I do not neccessarily need to work and we have a reasonably amount of capital.

The other big question is how long does the process take?

Is it better to get a solicitor to deal with it for me?

many thanks.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:28 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline?? Advice needed

Hi Daveyboy

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red
My Canadian wife and I have decided to move to Canada. What is the easiest way for me to get into and to stay in the country. I do not neccessarily need to work and we have a reasonably amount of capital.

many thanks.
First you should start by reading the information on www.cic.gc.ca Government Immigration web site. A wealth of informationn there. There is no longer a retirement category, so you are either going to have to qualify as a skilled worker, entrepeneur, investor or self employed. As to how long the process takes; how deep is a hole? If you qualify, it depends on your citizenship and the countries where you have lived. The average processing times for various categories are on the web site.

PMM
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:13 am
jca
Just Joined

jca is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
If you qualify, it depends on your citizenship and the countries where you have lived.
PMM
Is that true? Are there countries one should not have been or one should have been to gain points? I didin't though about that. But what does it count, where you travelled or where you lived as a way of getting experience?
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Daveyboy

First you should start by reading the information on www.cic.gc.ca Government Immigration web site. A wealth of informationn there. There is no longer a retirement category, so you are either going to have to qualify as a skilled worker, entrepeneur, investor or self employed. As to how long the process takes; how deep is a hole? If you qualify, it depends on your citizenship and the countries where you have lived. The average processing times for various categories are on the web site.

PMM
Sorry I misread your post, about the Canadian wife. You should look at sponsorship and have your wife submit a sponsorship application for you. Make sure you look at the expeditated process for spouses where you submit the medical and Criminal records checks up front with the application to Mississaugia. Again depending on which countries you have resided in for more than 6 months, criminal record if any, if there are no problems, it should take about 6 months or so.

PMM
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

If your wife is a Canadian citizen then she should simply sponsor you, either from abroad or from within Canada.

Depending from several factors (how well application package is prepared, your nationality and countries of residence, sponsorship within Canada or from abroad, etc.) process may take anywhere from 4 months to about a year. Average is about 6 months.

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red

many thanks.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 14th 2004 at 4:54 am.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 4:50 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Jca

Originally Posted by jca
Is that true? Are there countries one should not have been or one should have been to gain points? I didin't though about that. But what does it count, where you travelled or where you lived as a way of getting experience?
It has nothing to do with points, where you lived or travelled, but in the length of time it takes to get the security checks done.

PMM