Wikiposts

time spent in canada

Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: time spent in canada

Hi

Originally Posted by matty266
Hi pmm

Ok so im in uk at the moment i Land on 8th october, I came back to uk in feb after 2 years spent 9 months as a Vistor with TRV and b4 that 14 months with the UK Military,

Ie march 2003 Working In canada
May 2004 finish working
MAy 2004 fly back over after spending 1 week in uk passport stamped
Feb 2005 fly back to uk Immigration In progess to london
Oct 2005 fly back and land

How would I prove my time spent as passports dont get stamped on entering when working for the Military?

Is any of this countable or is it not worth including?

Regards
Matty266
If it was for any other than Canadian military it doesn't count. If it wasn't and you get your PR in Oct/05 you would be elgible for 2 months total so you couldn't apply citizenship August/08.

PMM

PMM
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Yes, it is similar. And those 1,095 days must be within 4 years immediately preceding citizenship application. And your center of life (the only place you call home and always return to) must be Canada.
It would be difficult to accumulate 1095 days in 4 years without having your 'center of life' in Canada, but I'm curious as to where a specific requirement to this effect is in the Citizenship Act.

Jeremy
Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

If it was for any other than Canadian military it doesn't count. If it wasn't and you get your PR in Oct/05 you would be elgible for 2 months total so you couldn't apply citizenship August/08.

PMM

PMM

Out of interest, why should temporary residence in Canada working for foreign military not count? (at the 50% rate, and within normal windows)

Jeremy
Old Jun 4th 2005, 3:09 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, why should temporary residence in Canada working for foreign military not count? (at the 50% rate, and within normal windows)

Jeremy
They enter under the Visiting Forces Act, not the Immigration Act so they are not examined as such.

PMM
Old Jun 4th 2005, 3:10 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It is how Citizenship Judges see the matter and their refusals of grant of citizenship based on lack of "center of life in Canada" have so far been upheld by courts.

Originally Posted by JAJ
It would be difficult to accumulate 1095 days in 4 years without having your 'center of life' in Canada, but I'm curious as to where a specific requirement to this effect is in the Citizenship Act.

Jeremy
Old Jun 4th 2005, 3:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is how Citizenship Judges see the matter and their refusals of grant of citizenship based on lack of "center of life in Canada" have so far been upheld by courts.
I thought that was only an issue if one *doesn't* have the 1095 days?

I didn't think a citizenship judge usually was involved if the person had 1095+ days.

Jeremy
Old Jun 4th 2005, 3:46 pm

It doesn't matter that person claims having accumulated 1,095 days - if investigation results in finding that there are less than 1,095 days then judge gets the file. Also when there are other factors involved that regardless having enough days may prohibit grant of citizenship and judges have their say then too. In both circumstances "center of life" counts.

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought that was only an issue if one *doesn't* have the 1095 days?

I didn't think a citizenship judge usually was involved if the person had 1095+ days.

Jeremy
Old Jun 4th 2005, 4:23 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If there's an FAQ for this, let me know.....

if someone is granted PR status, how long do they have before they must take up residence in Canada?

Is there a way to defer it (so to speak) so you don't have to spend all the time and money to apply again? I realise that meds and criminal reports, etc, would obviously need to be updated.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 6:05 pm

Question has been fully answered zillion of times here already and if you would just look you would have found it.

PR visa is valid for up to 12 months from medicals or less if passport expires sooner. Immigrant must land before expiration date or it is gone. No extension will be granted, sorry.

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If there's an FAQ for this, let me know.....

if someone is granted PR status, how long do they have before they must take up residence in Canada?

Is there a way to defer it (so to speak) so you don't have to spend all the time and money to apply again? I realise that meds and criminal reports, etc, would obviously need to be updated.