Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Time scales for provincial nominee B.C.

Time scales for provincial nominee B.C.

Old Sep 29th 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Starbiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time scales for provincial nominee B.C.

Hi all,

My boyfriend has applied for the provincial nominee scheme for BC. He has a valid job offer, the employer sent the completed forms off about 3 weeks ago.

Does anyone know how long this takes to process? And once this has come through, how long does it take to get the working visa? I have had a look at processing times on the CIC website but it says 27 months for people from the UK, is it really as long as that? We are hoping to move out there as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:20 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time scales for provincial nominee B.C.

No such thing as a working visa, their is either an IEC or what I assume he is waiting for his a letter to support a temp work permit. I understand average processing time for the BC PNP is 8-12 weeks. So with the letter he could get a TWP at port of entry and then the PR could be processed either inland or outland once he arrives. I believe inland is quicker
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mikepm for your response. Yes I did mean a work permit rather that a working visa. As his spouse, would I get a TWP off the back of him at the same time? I am listed on all of the forms that have been sent off. Would we need to travel out there together or is it possible for me to follow him out there after a month or two?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:46 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

The provincial nominee program is aimed at PR (permeant residence) hence why your on all the forms. Whether you get a work permit off the back of his depends on the skill level of the job he is getting. if it is a letter rather than an LMO I'm not sure you could travel later. Someone with more experience may interject and confirm if you can travel later and get an open work of course if of course his job qualifies you for one. I assume you have sufficient evidence to confirm comma law relationship of 12 months or longer?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

We've been together for 3 years and lived with each other for the majority of that time. We have loads of pictures and joint tenancy agreements. At what stage does this info need to be shown? If we can get a TWP at the port of entry do we show this then? My boyfriend will be in management level. I'm pretty sure that I can get a work permit on the back of his application, I just wanted to check that it would be at the same time. We thought he might head out before me so I can wrap up in my job here, although we are happy to head out together if that's what is required, for sure.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:21 pm

As I said I am note sure with the letter you get from BC PNP, I know with an LMO that the spouse/partner can come later with a copy of the LMO, offer of employment etc. It would always be better if you come together as a lot easier to explain when you are both their in front of the immigration folk.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks for your info, I really appreciate it. we will head out together, it definitely makes more sense and looks better for immigration! So we are potentially looking at being out there in weeks rather than several months? That sounds great!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:53 pm

Depends how quick they process, I waited over 23 weeks to get the LMO I need for a temp work permit. Im heading over this Saturday
Old Sep 30th 2013, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

As previously posted the timescale for BC pnp nomination is 8-12 weeks. It can be faster though, ours was approved in 4 weeks but the nomination pack did not arrive until 7 weeks.

If your not in Canada already the pnp office should include a support letter asking immigration to issue a work permit without the need for a LMO.
You can apply for your work permits at the point of entry. Just take a copy of your nomination certificate and job offer.
You as a spouse/common law of a provincial nominee may also apply for a work permit regardless of the skill level of your other half It will be an open work permit for you. You could also apply by post if you want
I'd take some stuff to prove your a couple just incase but most likely you wont need it. You do need to prove your relationship and send supporting docs when you send your application off to CIC though.

Good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Tee1, thanks a lot for your post that's really good to know!! Really useful to know we can just apply for work permits at the port of entry and that I get one too. Hopefully we'll be out there soon!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out that not everybody can apply for TWP's at POE. Only those that don't need a medical and are from a visa exempt country can do so.

But assuming that you're a UK citizen and won't be working with children, in healthcare etc, then yes , that's the easiest way to do it.

HTH.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, good to know. We are UK citizens and only working in TV and film so hopefully should be ok on that front? Thanks, all comments really useful.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 2:32 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Starbiz
Thanks, good to know. We are UK citizens and only working in TV and film so hopefully should be ok on that front? Thanks, all comments really useful.
The line when I got my TWP at Vancouver on Monday was about half Brits (and Americans) working in film, and they all seemed to be breezing through pretty fast.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by benlast
The line when I got my TWP at Vancouver on Monday was about half Brits (and Americans) working in film, and they all seemed to be breezing through pretty fast.

Cheers
b
I am wondering if coming in on a Saturday will make the line longer or smaller. Im hoping for a small line
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Dorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I am wondering if coming in on a Saturday will make the line longer or smaller. Im hoping for a small line
Bring a book anyhow and hope your flight gets in before the rest of the worlds! We made it by 5 mins otherwise could have still been there now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.