Time scales and age?

Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

philipjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time scales and age?

Hi all my first proper post looking for advice as to the very minimum to maximum timescales i would be looking at to go the skilled worker migration route to Alberta. Calgary area.I will be this summer 49 years of age i am a Machine tool maintenance electrician and have been with a major aircraft manufacturer the last 20 years in this position.Will my age and obviously older age count against me if we do eventually get admitted?.I am going to attend the Canada expo in June in Leeds and if i could get any job offer how much would this help ?.How much manufacturing industry is there in the Calgary area?.My brother-in-law emigrated to s.w. Calgary 7 years ago and we would like to be somewhere in that area. Regards Phil.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all
Default Re: Time scales and age?

I believe you are awarded points based on the age that you are on the date that you apply.

I was 51 when I applied and received my 90 day update letter on 8 February at just turned 54, so there are some older applicants in the system!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Co-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud ofCo-Writer has much to be proud of

My husband is the principle applicant on our application, he was 51 when we applied, 2.5 years ago. I think as long as you have the points, you are fine, they assess them all the same.

Job offer has to be a good idea, currently I think it is about 5 years + for SW applications.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Hi Phil
We are going to Alberta via skilled worker route, due to fly out in 6 weeks....you will find you will get more points for your qualifications combined with years of experience, I believe the term is you are a Journeyman. If you have qualifications backed up with your years of experience you are very high in the skilled worker category.

Kind Regards

Julie
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:08 am
Just Joined

philipjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.
Julie(Rhodeys) how long has it been since you made your initial application?,would i be better trying the PNP route if possible?,up to a 5 year wait for somewhere that has such a major skills shortage and this will only increase because of the oil based boom happening in Alberta is,i fear just going to be too long especially given my age!!!.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

My opinion, and it truly is based on experience and not knowledge! TWP application is quick and efficient, we are told by my employer, if we are happy with one another in the next 6 months they will sponser us for PR and I know that PR is processed more quickly when in Canada. Our experience has been....I had a telephone interview with my future Manager on the 17th December 2007, I got my Job offer on the 21st December, my LMO by the 5th January, sent the paperwork to CHC on the 7th January, request for medical 28th January, had the medical on 14th February and we got our TWP through 2 1/2 weeks ago! It was all very easy. But I applied with a job offer and LMO . I hope this is helpful.....
PR is a long drawn out process so I believe and the time span is lengthening...If you can get a job offer under Skilled Worker basis, I think it's the best way for now...

God luck...PM me if I can help anymore, always happy to help if we can
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PS my spelling isn't good is it
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:17 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by philipjohn
Hi all my first proper post looking for advice as to the very minimum to maximum timescales i would be looking at to go the skilled worker migration route to Alberta. Calgary area.I will be this summer 49 years of age i am a Machine tool maintenance electrician and have been with a major aircraft manufacturer the last 20 years in this position.Will my age and obviously older age count against me if we do eventually get admitted?.I am going to attend the Canada expo in June in Leeds and if i could get any job offer how much would this help ?.How much manufacturing industry is there in the Calgary area?.My brother-in-law emigrated to s.w. Calgary 7 years ago and we would like to be somewhere in that area. Regards Phil.
Phil

My hubby is an industrial electrician in canada or journeyman electrician as they like to call them in alberta.
you need to get assed first with the AAIT to see if you have the right qualifications and experience. Once done the quickest route is job offer, then LMO etc.
If you need any info etc just yell, we have been at this a year now and in 2 weeks we are off for interviews etc, cant wait

Gill