Time to process landing

Old Aug 15th 2018, 7:45 am
Just Joined

bravecaptain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time to process landing

I’ve recently received my COPR under spousal sponsorship and will be heading to Winnipeg to re-join my partner in a couple of weeks (an international transfer with my current employer means things are suddenly moving much quicker than anticipated).

Looking at flights it seems like there is nothing direct from the U.K. and almost all flights have a layover somewhere else in Canada. In terms of landing, am I correct in thinking that PR must be activated at the first point you enter Canada even if there is an onward journey?

if this is the case, how long does the landing process usually take? If I can find a flight with a long enough layover would that be a better option than booking a direct flight to Toronto for instance, and then taking a separate domestic flight? Am I also correct in thinking that a SIN will be issued as part of landing or does his only happen at certain locations?

Any advice or anecdotal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2018, 7:57 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to process landing

There have been a few other similar threads in the last year or so, so you might want to do a search to unearth these as they may be useful.

You are correct that you have to do your landing paperwork at your first POE because your onward flight would be classed as domestic meaning you wouldn’t clear customs at your final destination.

How long it takes depends on how busy the airport is and how many questions the CBSA officer has for you. I’ve seen talk on here of allowing up to 4 hours to be on the safe side.

Toronto Pearson Airport is the only one to my knowledge where you can obtain a SIN, for all other destinations you just go to a Service Canada center.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bravecaptain
Looking at flights it seems like there is nothing direct from the U.K. and almost all flights have a layover somewhere else in Canada.
Odd. I managed a direct flight from the UK to Calgary, OK, it was a few years ago now. Have you tried Air Canada and Westjet (Westjet would be from Gatwick)?

In terms of land
ing am I correct in thinking that PR must be activated at the first point you enter Canada even if there is an onward journey?

Yes, you are correct. You MUST declare PR at your first port of landing in Canada, as any internal transfer would route you through domestic terminals with no customs of CIC facilities.
if this is the case, how long does the landing process usually take?

Two parts to your question! How long it actually takes from when you get to the front of the line (if there is a line for immigration) is about 30 minutes for both declaring PR and having your goods accompanying list processed (two separate steps). Overall elapsed time including waiting for others claiming PR? Who knows? But to be on the safe side, if you are landing at a major Canadian airport first (Toronto or Vancouver) then allow at least 3 - 4 hours between flights.
If I can find a flight with a long enough layover would that be a better option than booking a direct flight to Toronto for instance, and then taking a separate domestic flight?

Yes, and cheaper. To be on the safe side, 4/5 hour gap between flights should be plenty.

Am I also correct in thinking that a SIN will be issued as part of landing or does his only happen at certain locations?

No. You can get your PR Card processing underway IF you can provide a Canadian residential postal address for them to send it to. They will then forward it all to Sydney NS for processing which may take 2 / 3 months then to arrive. Your SIN is not automatically allocated when you land. You must turn up at a Services Canada office with your copy stamped CoPR and passport and they will issue it there. There is such an office in Toronto airport somewhere, but with everything else you have going on, I personally would leave it until you have landed at your destination and do it in the next few days at a local Services Canada office (unless you land at TO and find yourself with time on your hands between flights and fancy tracking down the office at the airport).
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Have you spotted the wiki section on this stuff, pretty much tells you what you need to know including actual landing experiences at various locations:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Social..._Number-Canada
Old Aug 15th 2018, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

ursus__ is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps try flying via the US on a US carrier if you're keen to avoid having to activate at the first stop? United and Delta both seem to fly into Winnipeg.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ursus__
Perhaps try flying via the US on a US carrier if you're keen to avoid having to activate at the first stop? United and Delta both seem to fly into Winnipeg.
Do you mean flying UK to USA, then another flight to Canada??

That means you have to get visa to land in the USA ........... and to be perfectly honest, I would do anything to avoid going through US Customs!

You're just suggesting a very complicated option of something is really quite simple!

What is so wrong with flying into Toronto, doing the landing there during a 4-5 hour stopover, then catch a domestic flight to Winnipeg?
Old Aug 15th 2018, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scilly

That means you have to get visa to land in the USA ........... and to be perfectly honest, I would do anything to avoid going through US Customs!

You're just suggesting a very complicated option of something is really quite simple!

What is so wrong with flying into Toronto, doing the landing there during a 4-5 hour stopover, then catch a domestic flight to Winnipeg?
+1!

errrrr… make that Calgary though
Old Aug 15th 2018, 7:20 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
+1!

errrrr… make that Calgary though
OP states Winnipeg in first post...
Old Aug 16th 2018, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

sooooooo

he's got a choice of (eg) London to Toronto, land, domestic flight to Winnipeg, or London to Calgary, land domestic flight to Winnipeg

Toronto would be the easiest ............. domestic flight would be shorter/
Old Aug 16th 2018, 4:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Westjet fly direct - non-stop - from London Gatwick to Calgary then it's just a 1.5 hour flight from there to the 'peg.. (I thought they flew direct to Winnipeg, but can't find a flight). There are shorter lay overs, so check the total flight time (the longer one will be 15 hours, the shorter, 13)

Flight details
London (Gatwick), United Kingdom (LGW) Calgary, AB (YYC)
Flight details
London (Gatwick), United Kingdom (LGW) Calgary, AB (YYC)
  • Flight: WS 2
  • Operated by WESTJET
  • Depart: Fri Sep 7, 2018 10:55 AM
  • Arrive: Fri Sep 7, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Duration: 9h 29m
  • Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
3h 51m
Connection layover

Calgary, AB (YYC) Winnipeg, MB (YWG)
  • Flight: WS 202
  • Operated by WESTJET
  • Depart: Fri Sep 7, 2018 5:15 PM
  • Arrive: Fri Sep 7, 2018 8:08 PM
  • Duration: 1h 53m
  • Aircraft: Boeing 737-600
Or via Toronto:
Flight details
London (Gatwick), United Kingdom (LGW) Toronto, ON (YYZ)
  • Flight: WS 4
  • Operated by WESTJET
  • Depart: Fri Sep 7, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Arrive: Fri Sep 7, 2018 5:16 PM
  • Duration: 8h 16m
  • Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
4h 59m
Connection layover

Toronto, ON (YYZ) Winnipeg, MB (YWG)
  • Flight: WS 535
  • Operated by WESTJET
  • Depart: Fri Sep 7, 2018 10:15 PM
  • Arrive: Fri Sep 7, 2018 11:49 PM
  • Duration: 2h 34m
  • Aircraft: Boeing 737-700

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 16th 2018 at 4:56 am.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:48 am
Just Joined

ursus__ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scilly

Getting an ESTA for $14 doesn't seem like too much hassle. I've transited through the US before and it was painless (different story when going direct into the US, however). Also means there's no looming connecting flight to catch if your landing is taking longer than you want it to, just do the landing at the end where there's no time pressure. Just my 2p though, depends on where OP would prefer the potential (but hopefully unlikely!) stress to be!
Old Aug 18th 2018, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Stuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond reputeStuart Adamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ursus__
Getting an ESTA for $14 doesn't seem like too much hassle. I've transited through the US before and it was painless (different story when going direct into the US, however). Also means there's no looming connecting flight to catch if your landing is taking longer than you want it to, just do the landing at the end where there's no time pressure. Just my 2p though, depends on where OP would prefer the potential (but hopefully unlikely!) stress to be!
Like the OP, I would do anything to avoid transiting through any US airport after previous nightmare trips. The arrogance / ignorance is astounding. Would much rather make an extra stop elsewhere.

Also like the OP, I will soon be moving to the Peg - only direct flight I have seen from Europe is Westjet on Saturday mornings, summer only. Another option is westjet Glasgow - Halifax then onward to YWG.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stuart Adamson

Like the OP, I would do anything to avoid transiting through any US airport after previous nightmare trips. The arrogance / ignorance is astounding. Would much rather make an extra stop elsewhere.

Also like the OP, I will soon be moving to the Peg - only direct flight I have seen from Europe is Westjet on Saturday mornings, summer only. Another option is westjet Glasgow - Halifax then onward to YWG.

You should also look at flight times, and baggage allowances which have very different regulations internationally vs domestic .......

Time to get to Glasgow from elsewhere in the UK?????

Glasgow - Halifax ------ ca 5-6 hours flying time
Halifax - Winnipeg ---- ca 4½ hours flying time, no food, limit for checked bags and charge either for all but 1 or all checked bags

London - Toronto ----- just under 8 hours flying time
Toronto - Winnipeg ----- ca 2½ hrs flying time, no food, similar limit and charges for checked bags

Manchester - Toronto -------- just under 8 hours flying time (actually ca 5 minutes less than from London)