Time to Citizenship after PR?

Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to Citizenship after PR?

Originally Posted by energysolutions
*Resurrection*

I looked into this again today and it seems I now can apply for Citizenship (ran my numbers through the calculator)

I`m having a problem however getting the necessary form (CIT 0002) online as the link seems broken (I'm sent here - clicky) - this is what I see (I have tried from 3 different computers and a phone, updated to the latest Adobe etc which is what it directs you to do)

https://image.ibb.co/jHinTR/Screen_S...t_15_01_53.jpg

Is there somewhere else I can get this form? As usual every time I come into contact with the CIC it doesn't run smoothly.......
Uninstall and then reinstall Adobe Reader. It's a common issue.

Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

*Resurrection*

I looked into this again today and it seems I now can apply for Citizenship (ran my numbers through the calculator)

I`m having a problem however getting the necessary form (CIT 0002) online as the link seems broken (I'm sent here - clicky) - this is what I see (I have tried from 3 different computers and a phone, updated to the latest Adobe etc which is what it directs you to do)

https://image.ibb.co/jHinTR/Screen_S...t_15_01_53.jpg

Is there somewhere else I can get this form? As usual every time I come into contact with the CIC it doesn't run smoothly.......
right click and save on your computer. then open the acrobe reader and choose open file from inside acrobe reader then it should work!! good luck!
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

*Resurrection*

The form works (I was able to open the link you shared with the steps below). You've encountered a common issue where IRCC are using complicated PDFs that can't be opened in browser. Save the file locally and open in a PDF reader (Adobe, Foxit, etc) NOT IN YOUR BROWSER & it'll work.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 5:23 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
The form works (I was able to open the link you shared with the steps below). You've encountered a common issue where IRCC are using complicated PDFs that can't be opened in browser. Save the file locally and open in a PDF reader (Adobe, Foxit, etc) NOT IN YOUR BROWSER & it'll work.
1. If you are using windows 10 you should get a bar at the top of the page which asks if you wish to open a pdf file with another application rather than the browser. It give you the choice to select Adobe Acrobat.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Mac almost exclusively and it wasn't working, switched to a PC and got it to work after a little messing around so thanks for all the pointers

I have most of the paperwork done now (applications and physical presence calculator) and have most of the rest of what they are asking for good to go (English competency etc) but it seems I have to get another Police clearance done for the 4 years up to when I apply (which will all be in Canada) - is it a similar process to what was requested for PR?

Do I simply head to my local Commissionaires and get them to give me what I need? Or am I reading this wrong?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Mac almost exclusively and it wasn't working, switched to a PC and got it to work after a little messing around so thanks for all the pointers

I have most of the paperwork done now (applications and physical presence calculator) and have most of the rest of what they are asking for good to go (English competency etc) but it seems I have to get another Police clearance done for the 4 years up to when I apply (which will all be in Canada) - is it a similar process to what was requested for PR?

Do I simply head to my local Commissionaires and get them to give me what I need? Or am I reading this wrong?
"Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate ... IRCC checks with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service (CSIS) to find out if there are any criminal or security reasons which could prevent you from acquiring Canadian citizenship."

AIUI, you only ever need to supply an RCMP check to IRCC if they specifically request it - everywhere they ask for them it's 'other than Canada', as they can do their own checks with RCMP. The people who need them weren't able to be cleared by name, so need fingerprints as well.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

*Resurrection 2.0*

Things have progressed quite a bit since I last updated. I sent in our citizenship application last November and finally got a date to sit the test in mid August

That went well and we were told that we could wait for the citizenship ceremony in Kelowna (where we live/sat the test) or go to an earlier date in Vancouver. We elected to go to Vancouver and that date was set for the 10th September. We were told the invitation would be sent ASAP

Well it never did show up so I called them today (bear in mind it was scheduled for 4 days from now) and was advised that they sent it via email on the 22nd or 24th of August (Ive checked and double checked and I never received it). Anyways they forwarded the email finally today so we are good to go

The venue is:

Expo CIC (ceremony room)
Suite 200
877 Expo Boulevard
Vancouver
V6B 8P8

I've never spent any time in Vancouver apart from flying getting connecting flights there on a couple of occasions, a quick google suggests this venue is in the north of the city in an area called "Yaletown" - Ive booked a hotel on the outskirts of town so is driving in from there best (is there parking nearby?) or is there some other better way?

How long does the ceremony take? Whats the dress code? The email I received doesn't even tell me where the venue is (the CIC agent I spoke with had to tell me over the phone) much less any of the other stuff I mentioned
Old Sep 7th 2018, 4:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!

Do check the list of documents etc., that you need to take. You can have family members or friends with you to celebrate and witness it, if you like
According to RCIC the dress code is 'business attire' as it is a 'dignified and meaningful event'
Narrator: Plan to spend between two to three hours at the ceremony. This includes registration, the ceremony, time for pictures and sometimes a reception.

Narrator: Usually, the ceremony lasts about 45 minutes to one hour. The length of time depends on the number of new citizens, guest speakers or special activities taking place.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 7th 2018 at 5:00 am.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the middle of a lot of busy roads. I would never have driven but I live in North Vancouver so just took transit. Maybe someone else will be able to tell you where to park but can't you go on transit?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

I've never spent any time in Vancouver apart from flying getting connecting flights there on a couple of occasions, a quick google suggests this venue is in the north of the city in an area called "Yaletown" - Ive booked a hotel on the outskirts of town so is driving in from there best (is there parking nearby?) or is there some other better way?
What do you mean by outskirts? Burnaby/new west or further out like Chilliwack or Abbotsford? It may be easiest to get the skytrain in if it's the former areas, not so much the others.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
What do you mean by outskirts? Burnaby/new west or further out like Chilliwack or Abbotsford? It may be easiest to get the skytrain in if it's the former areas, not so much the others.
Yeah, Abbotsford area

So is the Skytrain an option or no?

Is there parking in the Yaletown area? I imagine there must be some?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congrats!

Do check the list of documents etc., that you need to take. You can have family members or friends with you to celebrate and witness it, if you like
According to RCIC the dress code is 'business attire' as it is a 'dignified and meaningful event'
Narrator: Plan to spend between two to three hours at the ceremony. This includes registration, the ceremony, time for pictures and sometimes a reception.

Narrator: Usually, the ceremony lasts about 45 minutes to one hour. The length of time depends on the number of new citizens, guest speakers or special activities taking place.
Thanks! Its been a long journey with lots of bumps in the road but the finishing line is now in sight

Pretty sure I have almost everything required together already as the list looks almost identical to what was listed for the Citizenship exam (turned out I didn't really need any of it though) but I will double check anyways

So anywhere between 45 minutes to 3 hours for time. I will be driving back to Kelowna afterwards so thats fine.

After we listen to the various speakers/sing the national anthem/take the oath I assume there is an interview of some kind where the documents get verified? I imagine our PR cards will be taken at that point (as I am technically now a citizen)?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Its been a long journey with lots of bumps in the road but the finishing line is now in sight

Pretty sure I have almost everything required together already as the list looks almost identical to what was listed for the Citizenship exam (turned out I didn't really need any of it though) but I will double check anyways

So anywhere between 45 minutes to 3 hours for time. I will be driving back to Kelowna afterwards so thats fine.

After we listen to the various speakers/sing the national anthem/take the oath I assume there is an interview of some kind where the documents get verified? I imagine our PR cards will be taken at that point (as I am technically now a citizen)?
I remember they took our PR Cards.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

No Skytrain from Abbotsford.

You'd have to drive to one of the Skytrain stations closest to you ............. but they don't have Park and Drive near any of the stations, so far as I know.

Parking all but impossible in Yaletown, or anywhere in Vancouver.

Drive from Abbotsford takesca 1-1½ hrs each way depending on traffic, then you have to get from the freeway into the downtown peninsula.

Suggestion from a long-time Vancouver resident.

cancel your hotel reservation, and get one in Richmond, eg the Abercorn or google for others close to Bridgeport or walkable or on bus route to there, ask desk clerk where you can get 1-day or 3 -day card OR have exact change for the bus, leave the car and take the Canada Line (same as Skytrain but different name) from BRIDGEPORT station into Vancouver, get off at YALETOWN ROUNDHOUSE Station.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would extremely stressful to take the car. You may get stuck in traffic, might not find anywhere to park .... Even though I *only* live in North Vancouver, I still got an early bus to ensure I was not stressing about not making it on time to my special day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.