Time to Citizenship after PR?

Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time to Citizenship after PR?

Been trying to figure out when I become eligible for Canadian Citizenship and found a calculator after a poke around on here

According to it I need to have had PR for 1460 days before I can apply for citizenship

I came to Canada on 23-9-13 and got PR on 26-9-15 so I can't apply until 30-9-17 at the earliest?

Does this sound correct? Are factors like being out of the country on vacation taken into account?
Old Sep 5th 2017, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to Citizenship after PR?

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Been trying to figure out when I become eligible for Canadian Citizenship and found a calculator after a poke around on here

According to it I need to have had PR for 1460 days before I can apply for citizenship

I came to Canada on 23-9-13 and got PR on 26-9-15 so I can't apply until 30-9-17 at the earliest?

Does this sound correct?
That sounds about right, presumably the calculator you're using is the official CIC one? So that should tell you for sure. It's recently changed, used to be 4 year of PR status, now it's less and you can count time before getting PR as well.

Does this sound correct? Are factors like being out of the country on vacation taken into account?
Yes, you can't count any time spent outside Canada.

HTH.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

When we used the CIC calculator a couple of years ago, the first step was date of arrival, PR date etc, which gave the earliest application date, then there was the opportunity to add in vacation outside the country, which altered the date accordingly.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
When we used the CIC calculator a couple of years ago, the first step was date of arrival, PR date etc, which gave the earliest application date, then there was the opportunity to add in vacation outside the country, which altered the date accordingly.
I think I have just found the same calculator, it allowed me to enter vacation dates etc which adjusted the figures accordingly

In the end it gave me a completely different date of October 2019 before I could apply for citizenship

I would swear I was told 2 years when I completed PR - did I imagine that or has it changed?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have just found the same calculator, it allowed me to enter vacation dates etc which adjusted the figures accordingly

In the end it gave me a completely different date of October 2019 before I could apply for citizenship

I would swear I was told 2 years when I completed PR - did I imagine that or has it changed?
It's never been 2 years (at least, not in the past decade or so). It was 3 years, then it went up to 4 years, now it's back down to 3 years.

But only 2 of those have to be as a PR, up to a year of the requirement can be on another status i.e. temp work permit, so maybe that's where you got the 2 years from?

October 2019 seems quite a long time away though if you arrived in 2013 and got PR in 2015, unless you've spent an awful lot of time abroad i.e. on business?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

The changes have yet to be enacted.

Citizenship Act changes
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's never been 2 years (at least, not in the past decade or so). It was 3 years, then it went up to 4 years, now it's back down to 3 years.

But only 2 of those have to be as a PR, up to a year of the requirement can be on another status i.e. temp work permit, so maybe that's where you got the 2 years from?

October 2019 seems quite a long time away though if you arrived in 2013 and got PR in 2015, unless you've spent an awful lot of time abroad i.e. on business?
No, I`ve been here all the while apart from 2 x 14 day visits home to the UK and a brief trip to Tenerife

So if its back down to 3 years I must be pretty close, I will have 2 years of PR in a month or so and 2 years of Temp Work Permit before that

Sounds like I`m pretty much good to go?

Last edited by energysolutions; Sep 8th 2017 at 6:15 am.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bc2015
The changes have yet to be enacted.

Citizenship Act changes
Indeed

All the calculators still quote 4 years etc
Old Sep 8th 2017, 8:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Indeed

All the calculators still quote 4 years etc
1. To repeat myself, the 3/5 and pre PR credit as non immigrant parts of C-6 have not been enacted as yet, expected in the late fall, so it is still 4/6 years and NO credit for pre-Pr status,
Old Sep 8th 2017, 9:16 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
is it..when i came back to Canada In Jan 2017 after being away for 2.5 years i had missed by 70 days being eligible to apply for citizenship so the time started over again..on the cic website calculator it states im eligible for citizenship in Jan 2021 which is 4 years.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. To repeat myself, the 3/5 and pre PR credit as non immigrant parts of C-6 have not been enacted as yet, expected in the late fall, so it is still 4/6 years and NO credit for pre-Pr status,
Repeat yourself? Isn't this the first time you have posted in this thread?

Anyways, if the new rules are coming in the late fall they will apply to me too and if/when that happens, by my calculations, I will be eligible to apply straight away so talking about the old rules is kinda academic at that point
Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyways, if the new rules are coming in the late fall they will apply to me too and if/when that happens, by my calculations, I will be eligible to apply straight away so talking about the old rules is kinda academic at that point
Yes pretty much. However there will be a huge surge of applications when the rules do change so I expect application processing times to go up.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bc2015
Yes pretty much. However there will be a huge surge of applications when the rules do change so I expect application processing times to go up.
Makes sense, so what sort of time scale does a Citizenship application take now?

The thought of dealing with the CIC is filling me with dread again.....
Old Sep 9th 2017, 5:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

1, Posted the same information about 10 times in various threads, look at the thread on "Citizenship calculator not working" that one is above this one,
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

*Resurrection*

I looked into this again today and it seems I now can apply for Citizenship (ran my numbers through the calculator)

I`m having a problem however getting the necessary form (CIT 0002) online as the link seems broken (I'm sent here - clicky) - this is what I see (I have tried from 3 different computers and a phone, updated to the latest Adobe etc which is what it directs you to do)

Is there somewhere else I can get this form? As usual every time I come into contact with the CIC it doesn't run smoothly.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.