Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ticked the wrong box on application

Wikiposts

Ticked the wrong box on application

Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

julietaba is on a distinguished road
Default Ticked the wrong box on application

Having a nightmare, got our police cetificates back yesterday and my husbands drink driving conviction came up although it was 9 years ago! We ticked on the form that we submitted to CIC in Canada that he had no criminal convictions as we didn't think it would be an issue :/ Now, should we cancel our original application and re apply ticking the correct box this time or change the application when we submit it to London? We are in the process of applying for rehabilitation. Thanks to anyone that can offer advice,

Julie
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ticked the wrong box on application

Have you had your 120 day letter ?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julietaba
Having a nightmare, got our police cetificates back yesterday and my husbands drink driving conviction came up although it was 9 years ago! We ticked on the form that we submitted to CIC in Canada that he had no criminal convictions as we didn't think it would be an issue :/ Now, should we cancel our original application and re apply ticking the correct box this time or change the application when we submit it to London? We are in the process of applying for rehabilitation. Thanks to anyone that can offer advice,

Julie
I couldn't find it BUT i think i read on here a while ago of a similar situation and their application was declined and had to go down the rehabilitation route before applying again.

Now my memory ain't what it used to be so...............
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

julietaba is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spaceace
Have you had your 120 day letter ?
Hi, Yes we have 120 day letter. My husband's going to ring CIC Canada at lunch time to see what they say. Fingers crossed.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

this is dicey and have no clue as to what will happened, but what i know is if yr charges are like 10 , 15 , 20 yrs ago it will still show up,

lets keep our fingers cross maybe they will retrun it back to u and u can change the application form or withdraw it all together is what i will think of doing

and then apply for rehab....

post what happenes when he makes the call ok.

good luck
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:35 am
Just Joined

ianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant future

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, yes they can at there discretion refuse you.
They refused us in 2006 for not admitting i had a caution, i didnt even know what a caution was. To be truthful i didnt realize it would form part of your police clearances. Also as we failed to mention it we where barred from Canada and makeing another application for 2 years.
The forms say have you ever been arrested charged of an offense you have to say yes. We found out the hard way,

My story barred from canada 2006, Work permit issued and trp issued 2006.
I would recommend you sending in a covering letter stating the facts and it was not a deliberate over sight.
Regards
Ian
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:12 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julietaba

Julie
How long was his conviction for and when did his conviction end? Did he injure anyone?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:45 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
How long was his conviction for and when did his conviction end? Did he injure anyone?
Really immaterial, the OP claimed No criminal record/convictions on the application, when they knew he had a conviction, it just didn't disappear into the sunset. If they are extremely lucky, they won't be barred for 2 years for misrepresentation. He cannot be deemed rehabilitated as 10 years have not passed. So will have to complete an application for rehab. as well as pay the fee.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:07 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Really immaterial, the OP claimed No criminal record/convictions on the application, when they knew he had a conviction, it just didn't disappear into the sunset. If they are extremely lucky, they won't be barred for 2 years for misrepresentation. He cannot be deemed rehabilitated as 10 years have not passed. So will have to complete an application for rehab. as well as pay the fee.
People do sometimes make mistakes on their application forms.

They have not submitted their documents yet, so they can admit they made a mistake by ticking the wrong box on the initial form and submit the police cerificate and application for rehab with the rest of the documents requested on the 120 day letter.

I think you are milking it a bit by saying they are extremely lucky not to be barredfor 2 years for misrepresentation.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

They have not submitted their documents yet, so they can admit they made a mistake by ticking the wrong box on the initial form and submit the police cerificate and application for rehab with the rest of the documents requested on the 120 day letter.

I think you are milking it a bit by saying they are extremely lucky not to be barredfor 2 years for misrepresentation.
No, I said that If they are extremely lucky, they won't be barred for 2 years for misrepresentation. The OP knew s/he had a conviction, CIC/CHC will not believe that is was "simply checking the wrong box"
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:30 am
Just Joined

ianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant futureianbaird has a brilliant future

PMM is correct they are looking for integrity in the application, if you dont disclose mateiral facts and they find out later on, all the excuses you can give will not do.
They will see it as deliberate and will render misrepresentation, very harsh and yes people can make mistakes.

The refusal letter i received was very long and harsh, and thank you for the interest you have shown in canada moreover.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:41 am
Just Joined

My Police caution was for takeing a neighbors garden gnome. The neighbor in question smashed all my solar lanterns 2 night previously.

I did not know he had mental issues, as i would not of hidden his gnome. Its seems ok for him to plead insanity but its me whos got a police caution for grand theft gnome.Apparently he was not happy as we brought the house he really wanted.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Application for rehabilitation for a garden gnome.
What would be the equivalent in Canadian Law.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Sorry i know this was not my thread and would like to apoligise. But yes the point is you have to disclose all mateiral facts even if you dont think you need to. It will come back and haunt you other wise.
Ian
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:25 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at the OP's post, they didnt check the wrong box by mistake -they did it because "they didnt think it would be an issue". Not a wise decision really....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.