Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts, wishful thinking, some more thoughts!

Wikiposts

Thoughts, wishful thinking, some more thoughts!

Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Post Thoughts, wishful thinking, some more thoughts!

Hi,

Apologies if this is a bit of a waffle, but its sometimes nice to get things off your chest and share it

For the past 3 years or so I have always wanted to dream about living in Canada - I'm sure some of you have been in a similar position?. Although my enthusiasm soon drops down when I realise that I need to visit the place first before being drawn into all this is great and that's brilliant syndrome, and instead make up my own mind - just like I did with Australia and realised it's not what it's all made out to be! Great weather? eh, no, not at 40c.

I now have the enthusiasm and determination to save hard this year and plan on going over to check Canada out in the end of the year - although with my partner studying her degree (which is an important one if we want to immigrate to Canada in the near future as her job is recognised on the shortage skilled workers list - well I haven't checked the updated one yet!) it's hard to save a lot of money with just one income. You may be wondering why I never saved earlier? - I traveled and lived in OZ and NZ for a year, then returned to the UK during a recession so money was tight and my partner started her degree then so it was only my wage keeping us alive. I am still determined to go to Canada this year, if not early next year around Jan or Feb 2012 at the latest - flights are cheap enough.

I have done a tone of research on where id like the live over the past 3 years, posted threads on here to gather feedback and did some more research, and eh, now I'm reading more info and have just ordered two books about Canada - call me anal but I like to be prepared and have all the info I can get to make up my own mind.

Anyway, everytime I look at where I want to live I always shortlist the same places - which to me is a good thing (I use a specific criteria). So Kingston, Burlington, Guelph and Ottawa are my choices and will keep to those places of choice until I visit Canada - my partner couldn't care less (which makes it easier for me )

My wishful thinking can soon be over and I can soon start thinking what Canada is going to be like - to visit at first at least!

These are my current thoughts though, so please shred some light onto them if you please

- Employment: I am always curious, after reading lots of threads about Kingston and co, what it really is like finding work? everyone has different experiences, some do interviews over the phone before heading over for example. So is it easy to find work whilst in the UK and are Canadian's happy to do phone interviews. Are they going to search for their own people first then look elsewhere? So many questions and thoughts on this! I always like to be prepared so will I have much chance sending a CV over to a Canadian employer hoping to get an interview? I still need to research how to do my CV (but that's for later)

I cannot find much info on our job markets and doing a search reveals next to nothing so that posses more thoughts; is there a supported housing job market in Canada, especially in the cities I listed? is Occupational Therapy jobs highly sought after in Canada - I have never found any advertised in the cities I listed. I have an array of skills in youth work, supported housing and in the homeless sector, as well as support worker (not care) and now management in housing etc, but I cannot seem to find many jobs like these around (are they called something different or is it that simply there aren't many of these jobs around and historically never have been?)

- The other thought was language; do I really need to speak French. Quite simply I have no intentions of (call me arrogant I don't care as I am learning German and will continue to do so). I know in government you do but being an OT or a youth worker or a support housing manager, or a support worker for the homeless, is french really a requirement and a must have in those cities I listed?

- Health care; I really do not know what to expect from hospitals, GPs etc. Even reading about it doesn't shed much more light onto what to expect. Better or worse than the UK>? I don't know. Expensive>? I haven't looked much into this yet (would I get a heart attack?).

- Housing; what is it like renting in Canada? for example in the UK housing agencies are hopeless and offer no after sales support (rather terrible), in Australia and NZ most of them are great and very helpful. Expensive? it varies form each city I know

These were all my major worries, the rest (in my mind) I could happily read about it and don't worry too much.

If anyone lives in of those cities listed feel free to give your opinions

Last edited by Jay-Producer; Jan 17th 2011 at 7:28 am. Reason: grammer
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts, wishful thinking, some more thoughts!

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
I now have the enthusiasm and determination to save hard this year and plan on going over to check Canada out in the end of the year - although with my partner studying her degree (which is an important one if we want to immigrate to Canada in the near future as her job is recognised on the shortage skilled workers list - well I haven't checked the updated one yet!)
This is crucial - you say you are very 'anal' and have researched lots, but are you even eligible for visas? There is no point focusing on a particular area as you may need a job offer to qualify for a visa, and you may only be able to get a job offer in Manitoba when you've been looking at Ontario! Worry about the visa side of things first and then focus on the finer details.

- Employment: I am always curious, after reading lots of threads about Kingston and co, what it really is like finding work? everyone has different experiences, some do interviews over the phone before heading over for example.
Again, this will depend on your visa situation. If you already have PR, you'll find it much much easier to find work than if you require a LMO/TWP.

Are they going to search for their own people first then look elsewhere?
Again, it will depend on your status. If your employer needs to get the LMO to hire you then it's essential that they search for their 'own people' as they have to prove they've done that as part of the application.

Are they going to search for their own people first then look elsewhere? So many questions and thoughts on this! I always like to be prepared so will I have much chance sending a CV over to a Canadian employer hoping to get an interview? I still need to research how to do my CV (but that's for later)
You can read in the Wiki about how to do your resume, it's part of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki which is essential reading. It will explain that just sending your resume is unlikely to result in any response, you need to pick up the phone or ideally get over there to find work. Use your planned trip next year to do this.

I cannot find much info on our job markets and doing a search reveals next to nothing so that posses more thoughts; is there a supported housing job market in Canada, especially in the cities I listed? is Occupational Therapy jobs highly sought after in Canada - I have never found any advertised in the cities I listed. I have an array of skills in youth work, supported housing and in the homeless sector, as well as support worker (not care) and now management in housing etc, but I cannot seem to find many jobs like these around (are they called something different or is it that simply there aren't many of these jobs around and historically never have been?)
They may be called something else in Canada - perhaps start a specific search in the main forum to see if are? Alternatively, if you can't find many jobs then it may just be that your skills are not in demand at the moment unfortunately.

- The other thought was language; do I really need to speak French. Quite simply I have no intentions of (call me arrogant I don't care as I am learning German and will continue to do so). I know in government you do but being an OT or a youth worker or a support housing manager, or a support worker for the homeless, is french really a requirement and a must have in those cities I listed?
It will vary depending on where you go. Most places in Canada you'll never speak a work of French, certainly Kingston etc it won't be necessary although Ottawa is more bilingual. But again, you'll just need to go where the work is (particularly if you need a job offer to get a visa) so don't focus on this just yet - you may end up in BC instead!

- Health care; I really do not know what to expect from hospitals, GPs etc. Even reading about it doesn't shed much more light onto what to expect. Better or worse than the UK>? I don't know. Expensive>? I haven't looked much into this yet (would I get a heart attack?).
Have a read of the Wiki. Some people think the NHS is better, some people think the care in Canada is better. Again, it will vary depending on where you are, as will your Medicare coverage. It's not expensive assuming you will be covered by Medicare, but you will pay full price for prescriptions which can be very expensive if you need regular medication.

Housing; what is it like renting in Canada? for example in the UK housing agencies are hopeless and offer no after sales support (rather terrible), in Australia and NZ most of them are great and very helpful. Expensive? it varies form each city I know
It will vary massively depending on the province, as well as the city. You can easily look for rentals on sites like craigslist to get an idea of what you can get for the money.

As you can see from the above, you really need to focus on the visa and apply as soon as you are able. The rest can be figured out later, and most will be covered by a quick search in the Wiki or on the forum.

Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This is crucial - you say you are very 'anal' and have researched lots, but are you even eligible for visas? There is no point focusing on a particular area as you may need a job offer to qualify for a visa, and you may only be able to get a job offer in Manitoba when you've been looking at Ontario! Worry about the visa side of things first and then focus on the finer details.
Some great points for me chris

I looked into Visa's yes, but not in-depth as it would be pointless since it would be 3-4 years by the time we move if we do decide to. The skilled shortages list, if I can remember off the top of my head has just been revised or is to be revised this year and at the time I looked none of my job titles (5 of them) were on the list but OT was.

Again, this will depend on your visa situation. If you already have PR, you'll find it much much easier to find work than if you require a LMO/TWP.

Again, it will depend on your status. If your employer needs to get the LMO to hire you then it's essential that they search for their 'own people' as they have to prove they've done that as part of the application.
I am aware of the LMO process as it similar in Australia - I got employment due to skilled worker shortages in OZ my partner is more likely to get PR than I am - I would go over as her partner and try and find work that way or through the LMO. I will look into all this in great detail nearer the time.

You can read in the Wiki about how to do your resume, it's part of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki which is essential reading. It will explain that just sending your resume is unlikely to result in any response, you need to pick up the phone or ideally get over there to find work.Use your planned trip next year to do this.

Good point there. I read that section a while back but need to re-visit it. I remember telling my partner she needs to engage with employers in Canada unlike in the UK.

They may be called something else in Canada - perhaps start a specific search in the main forum to see if are? Alternatively, if you can't find many jobs then it may just be that your skills are not in demand at the moment unfortunately.

PR is the key then I'm not sure id get PR, my partner has a better chance.

It will vary depending on where you go. Most places in Canada you'll never speak a work of French, certainly Kingston etc it won't be necessary although Ottawa is more bilingual. But again, you'll just need to go where the work is (particularly if you need a job offer to get a visa) so don't focus on this just yet - you may end up in BC instead!
I'm very particular so if there is only one city I like and can't find work I simply won't immigrate, either will my partner that's why I'm visiting first to get a feel for each city. If there is two I like then there's more flexibility in finding work. I love my home town Edinburgh so id be happy to go back there if a Canadian city does not match then Edinburgh is where I will settle.

Have a read of the Wiki. Some people think the NHS is better, some people think the care in Canada is better. Again, it will vary depending on where you are, as will your Medicare coverage. It's not expensive assuming you will be covered by Medicare, but you will pay full price for prescriptions which can be very expensive if you need regular medication.
Thankfully I take no regular medication.

It will vary massively depending on the province, as well as the city. You can easily look for rentals on sites like craigslist to get an idea of what you can get for the money.
Thanks for the tip on the craigslist.

As you can see from the above, you really need to focus on the visa and apply as soon as you are able. The rest can be figured out later, and most will be covered by a quick search in the Wiki or on the forum.

Once I visit and if I like then I will look into the visa in more depth. Even if neither of us can get a visa I will not be too disappointing as I have Edinburgh to fall back on and I will have at least visited Canada
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so if you're 3-4 years away from moving then to be honest there's little point in researching in detail as everything will have changed by then. Your partners job is no longer on 'the list' btw, so chances are one of you will need a job offer to qualify for a visa. Limiting yourself to a few particular towns/cities will make finding a job incredibly tough - bear in mind there are people on this forum that have been looking for a year or two, and they're prepared to move anywhere in Canada so are searching nationwide.

Also, just skimmed through your previous posts and you've given your reasons for leaving NZ as the cost of living being expensive, and being approx 8 years behind the UK. Given that most people say the same about Canada (except for it being more like 20 years behind the UK), I think you really need to visit before you make your mind up as it may just not suit you.

Good luck.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, so if you're 3-4 years away from moving then to be honest there's little point in researching in detail as everything will have changed by then. Your partners job is no longer on 'the list' btw, so chances are one of you will need a job offer to qualify for a visa. Limiting yourself to a few particular towns/cities will make finding a job incredibly tough - bear in mind there are people on this forum that have been looking for a year or two, and they're prepared to move anywhere in Canada so are searching nationwide.

Also, just skimmed through your previous posts and you've given your reasons for leaving NZ as the cost of living being expensive, and being approx 8 years behind the UK. Given that most people say the same about Canada (except for it being more like 20 years behind the UK), I think you really need to visit before you make your mind up as it may just not suit you.

Good luck.
Where is the update list because I can't find it? it says 2011 is the revision? and OT is under the skilled workers category that I looked at so a PNP visa may be possible?. Cost of living is ridiculous in NZ - double rent costs in Auckland compared to Edinburgh and Cardiff. Food costs are sky high also. I'm definitely visiting first
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Where is the update list because I can't find it? it says 2011 is the revision? and OT is under the skilled workers category that I looked at so a PNP visa may be possible?. Cost of living is ridiculous in NZ - double rent costs in Auckland compared to Edinburgh and Cardiff. Food costs are sky high also. I'm definitely visiting first
Here you go..............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

For a PNP, you'd still require a job offer first.

Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Here you go..............http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

For a PNP, you'd still require a job offer first.

Thanks Chris. Takes an age to load up and still is....

I would not want to go over to Canada without one of use having a job offer first anyway. At least if an employer offers a job the PNP is a fast track option so that they have some piece of mind that they wont have to wait a century for you to come over