Thought I'd say hello

Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

themercer4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thought I'd say hello

Hi everbody.

Been reading all the posts over the last couple of weeks(thoroughly enjoying it) thought I'd finally come forward, as been on a downer over the last couple of days.

We emmigrated to Spain(oh and our 2 daughters)nearly 6 years ago when the country was booming. We are now deep in recession, nearly all the brits that moved here, have or are leaving town. Many of them have just had to leave their properties and head back to the UK, due to the fact nothing is selling.

We left the UK 6 years ago because we'd had enough just like everybody else. Everthing has been great, we have fully integrated in to spanish life and have made some great friends. I was working in the spanish estate agents, translating at notary for them etc, and my oh got a job with a spanish builder and then went to work for himself doing property renovation.

My oh is now on his last contract and has only a few weeks work left. My spanish boss only needs me now and again to translate for existing clients, as there are no brits buying in town , because the pound is so bad against the euro. There is a serious lack of work.

So there is not much option really we have to get out too. It really upsets me to think we have to uproot the kids, as the are both doing fantastic in school. Our 15 year old really wanted to finish her education here and go on to uni to become a teacher. The good thing is they are bilingual.

One of the main reasons we don't want to take them back to the UK is because of all the yob culture. We come from Warrington, the town where Gary Newlove was kicked to death outside his home, because he went out to try and stop some yobs from messing with his wife's car. We really don't want to take our kids back there! It would be too much of a culture shock for them. Here, our eldest daughter goes out every weekend for a meal in the local pizzeria with all of her friends.

We are seriously considering Canada. The only thing is we have time against us. Oh profession in the UK was noc 7332 electric appliance service technician, on the oup list for Alberta. But he wants to carry on with the trade he has learnt whilst being in Spain. Bricklayer and general construction work. I have seen plenty jobs advertised for both professions . There seems to be a lot of jobs for the bricklayer position especially around Alberta and Ontario. I do keep on having a read of wiki, there is tons of info to take in!

We are off to UK for xmas to visit oh's family. Whilst we are there we are going to weigh up things over there. My family is here in Spain, they followed me here! Got to come to terms that I am going to have to leave them ,my dad(my mum died two days after moving over here) and my sister who is now moved to the coast earning pittance an hour.

When we get back fom UK it will be all systems go to find work. If I can get hubby to get a job offer, I will get him to do twp at poe. If we have no joy via e-mails with his resume, I will send him over on a recce to do some networking. I have to stay here and tie up any loose ends ie: dogs and try and sell our house.

I know it has been long winded for a first post, but I wanted to go a little in depth so you have all the info you need. Hey, I know things are slowing down in Canada too, but it can't be half as bad as it is here!

Looking forward to your replies and any suggestions. All the best to you all for christmas and new year.

Nichola.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought I'd say hello

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you've done your research, well done you! The only thing I would say is that Canada is also in recession at the mo so you may just be jumping from the frying pan and into the fire? If lack of work/money/stability is the only thing making you want to leave Spain for Canada then I would think very, very carefully as I'm not sure things would be any better for you in Canada. There have recently been lots of reports on the forum about people moving to Canada on a TWP and then being let go, or being offered a job which is then rescinded, and construction seems to be one of the areas that has been worst hit. As it would cost you at least £7k (more if you have pets or want to go on a reccie trip) to move to Canada, is it really going to make you any more financially secure?

Also, if you really wanted to move back to the UK then there are plenty of yob free areas that you could consider rather than moving back to Warrington?

Just a couple of things for you to think about anyway. If you want to move to Canada for a genuine love of the country then that's one thing, but if it's just to try and find more stability then I'm not sure it's the best place for that at the mo (although I'm not sure where is in the current economic climate?!?).

Best of luck.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

themercer4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you've done your research, well done you! The only thing I would say is that Canada is also in recession at the mo so you may just be jumping from the frying pan and into the fire? If lack of work/money/stability is the only thing making you want to leave Spain for Canada then I would think very, very carefully as I'm not sure things would be any better for you in Canada. There have recently been lots of reports on the forum about people moving to Canada on a TWP and then being let go, or being offered a job which is then rescinded, and construction seems to be one of the areas that has been worst hit. As it would cost you at least £7k (more if you have pets or want to go on a reccie trip) to move to Canada, is it really going to make you any more financially secure?

Also, if you really wanted to move back to the UK then there are plenty of yob free areas that you could consider rather than moving back to Warrington?

Just a couple of things for you to think about anyway. If you want to move to Canada for a genuine love of the country then that's one thing, but if it's just to try and find more stability then I'm not sure it's the best place for that at the mo (although I'm not sure where is in the current economic climate?!?).

Best of luck.
Thanks for you reply Christmasoompa.

I know there are yob free areas in the UK, but they normally come with a higher price tag!

Also after living here in Spain for almost 6 years it will be a killer to have to live in the UK again. We will soon realise why we wanted to leave in the first place.

There are no opportunites of work here now. Many people say ride out the storm, but it's ok if you have a pension coming in like many expats living here. We don't , we have to work.
Like you say, where is a good place to live in the current climate? Just though we'd stand a better chance over there.

Nichola
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:07 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themercer4
Thanks for you reply Christmasoompa.

I know there are yob free areas in the UK, but they normally come with a higher price tag!

Also after living here in Spain for almost 6 years it will be a killer to have to live in the UK again. We will soon realise why we wanted to leave in the first place.

There are no opportunites of work here now. Many people say ride out the storm, but it's ok if you have a pension coming in like many expats living here. We don't , we have to work.
Like you say, where is a good place to live in the current climate? Just though we'd stand a better chance over there.

Nichola
Hi Nichola, just short note to say welcome to the site. There is a wealth of information and experience between everyone here. Have a look at the Wiki and feel free to ask questions.
good luck
Terese
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:41 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was planning on moving to Spain from the UK but my plan was just to take an early retirement (no 'package' just a reduced pension for going only) and live frugally on the pension and capital left from selling UK/buying Spain.

But then I met a Canadian and moved to Canada instead.