Thinking of a move to Canada

Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:19 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
dabollicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of a move to Canada

Ok, where to start, although i must say im glad i found this place

Anyway, a little bit about me, im 25, single and have a background in Telecommunications as a maintenance engineer. I have no real ties in the UK, and after speaking to various ex collegues, emigrating was the best thing they ever did, they just wish theyd done it sooner, so i thought, why not, im young (ish) and reckon i could really be happy freezing my nuts off!!

Anyway, i must admit that all of this is a bit overwhelming to be honest, my brain is hurting due to information overload, but its all good fun, i think

Im still trying to get my head around things, and im really not sure on the best course of action. Ive taken the online assessment test and i qualify with 73 points, so any help/advice would be most welcome

Thanks in advance

Ross
dabollicks is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:43 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 449
tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

I think you need to read the Wikipedia guide on the forum to even partially understand the immigration options. It may take a while to understand it all but it's all worth it in the end!

I have been told though that having the points does not automatically qualify you for a skilled worker visa and without arranged employment your chances of getting in within 5 years will be slim!

Tim
tim010 is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:52 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
dabollicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by tim010
I think you need to read the Wikipedia guide on the forum to even partially understand the immigration options. It may take a while to understand it all but it's all worth it in the end!

I have been told though that having the points does not automatically qualify you for a skilled worker visa and without arranged employment your chances of getting in within 5 years will be slim!

Tim
This is exactly what im after. Im gonna tackle the WIKI pages when im a bit more awake, i think, as i do actually want to understand it

Ive actually spoken to many recruitment agencies in various parts of Canada, and have given them all a copy of my resume, so am waiting to hear whether they have anything suitable for me
dabollicks is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:02 am
  #4  
Immigration Consultant
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,144
Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by dabollicks
This is exactly what im after. Im gonna tackle the WIKI pages when im a bit more awake, i think, as i do actually want to understand it

Ive actually spoken to many recruitment agencies in various parts of Canada, and have given them all a copy of my resume, so am waiting to hear whether they have anything suitable for me
Do you have an idea of where abouts in Canada you want to move to? If you can identify a particular province, have a look to see if that Province has a "Provincial Nominee Program" - see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...cial/index.asp. Usually you need a job offer first but these are really the quickest and most certain routes in.

Once you have an idea where you want to move to, best best is to come over for a holiday and try to see some employers. Make a few phone calls before you come and try to set-up some meetings or interviews for while you're here. I wouldnt rely on recruiters or just emailing CVs to people - its not very effective.

If you decide to go the skilled worker route instead of PNP (and these days you really still need a job offer) the first thing to check is that you meet the definition of a "skilled worker" - have you done a job for at least a year that is in skill level A or B according to the National Occupation Classifications (see http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/docs...er_English.pdf). If you arent in one of those occupations then meeting the point score doesnt matter, you cant apply as a skilled worker and you only real hope is a PNP program.
Paul Wildy is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:10 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
dabollicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Do you have an idea of where abouts in Canada you want to move to? If you can identify a particular province, have a look to see if that Province has a "Provincial Nominee Program" - see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...cial/index.asp. Usually you need a job offer first but these are really the quickest and most certain routes in.

Once you have an idea where you want to move to, best best is to come over for a holiday and try to see some employers. Make a few phone calls before you come and try to set-up some meetings or interviews for while you're here. I wouldnt rely on recruiters or just emailing CVs to people - its not very effective.

If you decide to go the skilled worker route instead of PNP (and these days you really still need a job offer) the first thing to check is that you meet the definition of a "skilled worker" - have you done a job for at least a year that is in skill level A or B according to the National Occupation Classifications (see http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/docs...er_English.pdf). If you arent in one of those occupations then meeting the point score doesnt matter, you cant apply as a skilled worker and you only real hope is a PNP program.
I was thinking either Alberta or British Columbia. My next plan is to indeed take a holiday out there and take things from there.
dabollicks is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:03 am
  #6  
Now on Vancouver Island
 
Judy in Calgary's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,935
Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

NSpaul has given you excellent information.

But, Ross, since you're 25, you also could consider a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC. This would enable you to accept any job with any employer in any part of Canada.

There are some members of this forum who have been successful in upgrading from BUNAC visas to permanent residence visas.
x
Judy in Calgary is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:05 am
  #7  
Bring on the snow!
 
Rob_999's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,420
Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
NSpaul has given you excellent information.

But, Ross, since you're 25, you also could consider a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC. This would enable you to accept any job with any employer in any part of Canada.

There are some members of this forum who have been successful in upgrading from BUNAC visas to permanent residence visas.
x
Wise words from Judy as ever. BUNAC is the way to go. It'll give you a year to see if Canada (or where in Canada) is the place for you.
Rob_999 is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:48 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 374
bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Wise words from Judy as ever. BUNAC is the way to go. It'll give you a year to see if Canada (or where in Canada) is the place for you.
well from Judy, Rob999 n co, Bunac sounds good for you.

Dabo, when u say no real ties in UK, what do u mean.......????

Read the wiki, and start your research on Canada and pick yr choices n work on it. Bunac is the best route so far.... good luck..
bflava is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:23 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
dabollicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by bflava
well from Judy, Rob999 n co, Bunac sounds good for you.

Dabo, when u say no real ties in UK, what do u mean.......????

Read the wiki, and start your research on Canada and pick yr choices n work on it. Bunac is the best route so far.... good luck..
Im gonna tackle thewiki today i think

No real ties in the UK means, no girlfriend to winge about everything, no debts that need clearing, no mortgage etc
Ill definitely start reading up on BUNAC

thank you for all your help so far on this, you can expect some more questions, you can count on it
dabollicks is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:20 am
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
noddynoble is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Hi all,

We to are thinking of moving to Canada, probably Vancouver as I personally prefer warmer weather!!!!

I am a driving instructor and have already got a fair bit of information about the likelhood of moving out and becoming an ADI out there. I am married with 4 childrem 14 years of age downwards.

May I ask the brains out there if a 45 year old with the above mentioned skills has a chance, what the schools, houses cost of living etc is and what kind of salary is average etc etc....

In anticipation (after a good nights sleep) and with thanks,
Paul.
noddynoble is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:53 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 374
bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by noddynoble
Hi all,

We to are thinking of moving to Canada, probably Vancouver as I personally prefer warmer weather!!!!

I am a driving instructor and have already got a fair bit of information about the likelhood of moving out and becoming an ADI out there. I am married with 4 childrem 14 years of age downwards.

May I ask the brains out there if a 45 year old with the above mentioned skills has a chance, what the schools, houses cost of living etc is and what kind of salary is average etc etc....

In anticipation (after a good nights sleep) and with thanks,
Paul.
look for Alberta and BC ones.....
Noddynoble, Read the wiki or maybe u have already as from what i hear, Alberta is the place to be right now, except the housing market is boiling up there with BC Vancover as well but I hear is better depending on how you want your life style to go. I will say read on the wiki find a bearing and go for it.

I am not sure if i can give you any direction on your job wise but again search on jobs under pressure or something call NOC http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-

good luck n all the best.
bflava is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:25 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
noddynoble is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Thanks for the reply, bflava.

I just had an assessment done by an attorney based in Canada who seems to suggest that an application is worthy, but then he would wouldn't he, especially as he'll want $1800 USD from me. I am convinced though that my age will go against me. I haven't seen an age bar, does anyone know of one?

I certainly agree with the places to go and house prices, I have been checking out a few sites.

Thanks again.
noddynoble is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:34 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 374
bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by noddynoble
Thanks for the reply, bflava.

I just had an assessment done by an attorney based in Canada who seems to suggest that an application is worthy, but then he would wouldn't he, especially as he'll want $1800 USD from me. I am convinced though that my age will go against me. I haven't seen an age bar, does anyone know of one?

I certainly agree with the places to go and house prices, I have been checking out a few sites.

Thanks again.
I am not sure about age bar or anything concerning age yet.. But be warn about who wants to charge you to look for job and things like that. I understand no one needs to charge you to look for a job for you.

But all the same good luck and go for it.. I doubt if your age will push u back, read on ask for more advice and go for it.. u have nothing to lose... goo d luck..
bflava is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:18 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 390
raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Originally Posted by noddynoble
I am convinced though that my age will go against me. I haven't seen an age bar, does anyone know of one?
Age is one of the 6 selection factors. You will get maximum points (10) if you are between 21 and 49 years old.

I am assuming you have done the self assessment at the CIC site?

http://cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/s.../apply-who.asp

Ray
raymasa is offline  
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:19 am
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 6
noddynoble is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of a move to Canada

Cheers, the job side I can sort. The service they offer is for the actual immigration process. I would love to do it, really would. I will research more and probably about November will either begin the process or still dream. Funny really I tried Canada when I was 17, then spent 8 months in South africa when I was 21. Why o! why have I left it this late. LOL.

If anyone knows any driving instructors in the BC or ALberta provinces I'd appreicate if they would be happy to chat either here or via email.
noddynoble is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.