Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is there a time limit to send passports after PPR request?

Is there a time limit to send passports after PPR request?

Old May 28th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of
Default Is there a time limit to send passports after PPR request?

Just wondering (and sort of planning ahead)...

We are hoping to receive PPR any time soon (it's been such a long time already). I am in Canada (on holiday basis) with son (he is on study permit), rest of family in UK, but visiting us soon.

If PPR comes through whilst they are here in Canada (staying until August) would we have to worry about a time limit in which we would have to send our passports in? - Which we obviously can't do while we are all here!
Old May 28th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is there a time limit to send passports after PPR request?

I think usually they want you to send in the passports within 30 days and you should do it as soon as possible to avoid expiry of your medicals.
Old May 28th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

But what if nobody is home (on holiday) when letter arrives, and they don't get back before a 30 day period expires, but medicals are still valid?
Old May 29th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

As long as your meds are still valid when you send your passport then that's fine I think. I think the 30 day thing is more like a suggestion rather than a requirement to help prevent medicals to expire for people who had longer processing times. But I am not certain about this, maybe somebody else can clarify.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

I am in a similar position. I'm waiting for my passport request, but we are off to Toronto for 4 weeks from June 30th. It was suggested to me that I send a fax to CHC London explaining this. I have drafted a letter that I will fax to them next week sometime. In the letter I explain that I will be unable to respond to mail sent to my home address, but will respond to any email or phone calls. I also specified all contact details (in Canada as well).

Any other thoughts/advice welcome.

Thanks,
abaddon
Old May 29th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are going through an immigration lawyer, so I guess they would be receiving the mail for us. It would still be a case, though, that we wouldn't be able to send the passports off to CHC, as we will all be in Canada.

Is there anybody here, who didn't send passports off asap after receiving PPR? And if so, how long did you leave it before sending them?
Old May 30th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is there really no-one else who can knows if there is a time limit?

Or - what is the longest people have left it to send passports after PPR, without there being any problems?
Old May 30th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheCanes
Is there really no-one else who can knows if there is a time limit?

Or - what is the longest people have left it to send passports after PPR, without there being any problems?
Why do you complicate the situation by going on a vacation at the worst possible time??

Last edited by kleinluka; May 30th 2009 at 5:43 pm.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

just done what u are asking..im sure it 60 days to get the passports bsck to them
Old May 31st 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kleinluka
Why do you complicate the situation by going on a vacation at the worst possible time??
Considering there is no way of telling when one might receive PPR, I don't think there is a 'worst possible time'!

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
just done what u are asking..im sure it 60 days to get the passports bsck to them
That's exactly the info I was looking for.

It would be cool if others could confirm if there is indeed always a 60 day time limit.

Thanks.
Old May 31st 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Just wondering (and sort of planning ahead)...

We are hoping to receive PPR any time soon (it's been such a long time already). I am in Canada (on holiday basis) with son (he is on study permit), rest of family in UK, but visiting us soon.

If PPR comes through whilst they are here in Canada (staying until August) would we have to worry about a time limit in which we would have to send our passports in? - Which we obviously can't do while we are all here!
Hi

You will have 60 days in which to submit your passports - in my case it took all of 60 minutes before they were posted!!

Michelle
Old May 31st 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Considering there is no way of telling when one might receive PPR, I don't think there is a 'worst possible time'!
You have a point there. haha.. i apologize.

I hope someone can help you clarify this!!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Has anybody ever been in a situation where they couldn't send passports within 60-day period, and if so, anybody ever asked for extension, and what was reply?

Just thinking ahead.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi The Canes,
We recently received our PPR and I have just looked at our letter for you...If you need anymore confirmation that it is definitely 60 days then I can confirm that our letter says 60 days.
There is just a very simple form to fill in that goes with the passports and you need to send in more photos. The form just asks for passport numbers, eye colour, height, first name and last name so thats all pretty straightforward. Pictures are the usual, white background and very similar to passport size.
When are you planning on being out of the country from? Without knowing your holiday plans then I would guess that even if your PPR request came shortly then if you are all back at the beginning of August then you might be OK?
If you are sending the passports in via special delivery then they will get them the next day...
That being said, if your immigration lawyer is in Canada like ours was then you will lose a week or so in the time it takes for the PPR to get from UK to Canada before you hear you have the PPR.
Not sure what to suggest really..Has your immigration lawyer given you any advice..I know some people who are in Canada have had their passports couriered over etc but I certainly wouldn't feel happy doing that and potentially being stranded in another country without my passport...
I would expect that if your background checks are all completed then you could receive your PPR imminently but as you didn't receive a joint medical request and "send your passport 30 days after" they hadn't finished your checks when they sent the medical requests out..
Its a shame that what should really be good news is messing up your plans for your holiday...What are the chance of coming back a bit early if need be if your request does come through? If not then I'd get your immigration lawyer to sort things out and get them to send in a letter to CHC highlighting the circumstances in a proactive manner as opposed to trying to resolve it after the PPR arrives.
Good luck anyway and I hope it doesn't spoil the holiday for you all.
Cheers
Tim
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much , Tim, for your reply. At least now I have a bit more of an idea how things go.

Seeing that my son is on a study permit in Canada, and his dad, sister and niece haven't seen him since January (I am staying with him for 6 months at a time), they are coming over for an extended period (husband until mid/end August - daughter/niece until mid September).

I have just had a reply from our immigration lawyer and was told that in the event of PPR coming through when we are all here in Canada, they would write a letter to CHC explaining the situation.

They did, howwever, also say, that they would not be able to guarantee a positive response from CHC ("We could request an extension, but could not guarantee that one would be granted"). I'm guessing they said that, because they've never experienced anybody asking for an extension before. Well, there always has to be a first.

Yes, of course it would be possible to cut the holiday short, but I hope, if it comes to it, CHC would grant the extension, considering how long they have made us wait!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.