Wikiposts

THERE IS NO GREEN CARD IN CANADA?

Old Jun 15th 2002, 12:20 pm
Sn

Default THERE IS NO GREEN CARD IN CANADA?

WHY ALL THE H1B VISA HOLDER THINK THAT WE HAVE A GREEN CARD IN CANADA??? STUPID
PEOPLE...MOST OF THEM ARE INDIAN.... I REPEAT: THERE IS NO GREEN CARD IN
CANADA...PLEASE DO NOT CONFUSE THE COMMUNITY!

WHAT?

I SAID THERE IS NO GREEN CARD IN CANADA....

WHAT?

I SAID THERE IS NO GREEN CARD IN CANADA!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Old Jun 15th 2002, 5:20 pm
Rich Wales

Default Re: THERE IS NO GREEN CARD IN CANADA?

"sn" wrote:

> Why do all the H1B visa holders think that we have a green card in Canada??? I
> repeat: there is no green card in Canada...please do not confuse the community!

Perhaps it might be a bit more helpful to explain that "green card" is a slang
expression referring to non-citizen permanent resident status in the US (and =only=
the US). It is =not= a generic term for non-citizen permanent residence worldwide --
although there are certainly quite a few Americans who assume it's used everywhere.

At one time, the ID card held by non-citizen permanent residents in the US was green.
It isn't any more, but the name "green card" stuck.

The corresponding informal term, in Canada, for a non-citizen per- manent resident is
"landed immigrant". At one time, this expression was an official legal term; it isn't
any more, but it's still in widespread informal use. "Landed immigrant" has nothing
at all to do with owning real estate, BTW; to "land", in this context, simply means
to formally establish residence (in Canada).

If someone uses the term "green card" in Canada, the overwhelming majority of
Canadians will assume that US (not Canadian) permanent residence is being referred
to. Conversely, if someone uses the term "landed immigrant" on the other side of the
world's longest one-way mirror, the overwhelming majority of Americans will have
absolutely no idea what the expression means. :-}

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old Jun 15th 2002, 8:20 pm
Dan

What's about maple card ...eh

"Rich Wales" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "sn" wrote:
    >
    > > Why do all the H1B visa holders think that we have a green card in Canada???
    > > I repeat: there is no green card in Canada...please do not confuse the
    > > community!
    >
    > Perhaps it might be a bit more helpful to explain that "green card" is a slang
    > expression referring to non-citizen permanent resident status in the US (and =only=
    > the US). It is =not= a generic term for non-citizen permanent residence worldwide
    > -- although there are certainly quite a few Americans who assume it's used
    > everywhere.
    >
    > At one time, the ID card held by non-citizen permanent residents in the US was
    > green. It isn't any more, but the name "green card" stuck.
    >
    > The corresponding informal term, in Canada, for a non-citizen per- manent resident
    > is "landed immigrant". At one time, this expression was an official legal term; it
    > isn't any more, but it's still in widespread informal use. "Landed immigrant" has
    > nothing at all to do with owning real estate, BTW; to "land", in this context,
    > simply means to formally establish residence (in Canada).
    >
    > If someone uses the term "green card" in Canada, the overwhelming majority of
    > Canadians will assume that US (not Canadian) permanent residence is being referred
    > to. Conversely, if someone uses the term "landed immigrant" on the other side of
    > the world's longest one-way mirror, the overwhelming majority of Americans will
    > have absolutely no idea what the expression means. :-}
    >
    > Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org
    > *NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
    > *DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
    > or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
    > are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old Jun 16th 2002, 3:20 am
The Wizzard

> What's about maple card ...eh

that shall no doubt become the new name once they exist and become well known. I
think it is a good name as it is an obvious link to Canada and sounds more Canadian
than had they just called it a green card or red card or whatever. Canadians love
things with Maple leafs on it hehe.

Old Jun 16th 2002, 5:20 am
Mahabhenki

Canada Cannot and does not call it a "Green Card" bacause this term was used for
american PR's in late 60-70 's as this card took the people to "Greener Pastures" .
Canada is just a PR or a landed immigrant , Because the people who land here are have
not landed in "Greener Pastures" and it is difficult for them to find employment so
"greener pastures" is out of question

Hope you understand and get the message .

Mahabhenki

Canada Cannot and does not call it a "Green Card" bacause this term was used for
american PR's in late 60-70 's as this card took the people to "Greener Pastures" .
Canada is just a PR or a landed immigrant , Because the people who land here are have
not landed in "Greener Pastures" and it is difficult for them to find employment so

Mahabhenki

Mahabhenki

Old Jun 16th 2002, 7:20 am
Canadien

LOL "the world's longest one-way mirror" LOL

Very well said.

"Rich Wales" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > "sn" wrote:
    >
    > > Why do all the H1B visa holders think that we have a green card in Canada???
    > > I repeat: there is no green card in Canada...please do not confuse the
    > > community!
    >
    > Perhaps it might be a bit more helpful to explain that "green card" is a slang
    > expression referring to non-citizen permanent resident status in the US (and =only=
    > the US). It is =not= a generic term for non-citizen permanent residence worldwide
    > -- although there are certainly quite a few Americans who assume it's used
    > everywhere.
    >
    > At one time, the ID card held by non-citizen permanent residents in the US was
    > green. It isn't any more, but the name "green card" stuck.
    >
    > The corresponding informal term, in Canada, for a non-citizen per- manent resident
    > is "landed immigrant". At one time, this expression was an official legal term; it
    > isn't any more, but it's still in widespread informal use. "Landed immigrant" has
    > nothing at all to do with owning real estate, BTW; to "land", in this context,
    > simply means to formally establish residence (in Canada).
    >
    > If someone uses the term "green card" in Canada, the overwhelming majority of
    > Canadians will assume that US (not Canadian) permanent residence is being referred
    > to. Conversely, if someone uses the term "landed immigrant" on the other side of
    > the world's longest one-way mirror, the overwhelming majority of Americans will
    > have absolutely no idea what the expression means. :-}
    >
    > Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org
    > *NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
    > *DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
    > or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
    > are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.