Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is there free schooling in Alberta on TWP?

Wikiposts

Is there free schooling in Alberta on TWP?

Old May 22nd 2009, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

ayse68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there free schooling in Alberta on TWP?

Does anyone know, if children can get free schooling in Alberta if we are on TWP? Ive heard that in Vancouver, you have to pay £10000, per year for each child.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is there free schooling in Alberta on TWP?

If you are on a work permit, you do get free schooling for your kids. There have been various threads on here in the past as to whether you should apply for study permits for them or not. Some people have not needed them, whereas other people have had to show them when registering their kids for school. We did get the permits when we applied for the work permits, just to be on the safe side.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

We got study permits, and the school did ask for them to make copies.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

ayse68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
If you are on a work permit, you do get free schooling for your kids. There have been various threads on here in the past as to whether you should apply for study permits for them or not. Some people have not needed them, whereas other people have had to show them when registering their kids for school. We did get the permits when we applied for the work permits, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks for that, by the way we loved Okotoks! cool place to live, lucky you
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have to pay anything in Vancouver either. Technically, you shouldn't need study permits for TWP dependents, but some schools seem unaware of that so it may be worth getting them (it's only $150 per child so a small amount in the grand scheme of things when emigrating) just to be on the safe side.

Old May 22nd 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to Sherwood Park in March and did not get study permits for kids aged 14 and 11. The Immigration Officer put on our work permits that the kids were entitled to schooling and we have had no problems at all. Have not been asked for a study permit, one of the schools did not even ask to see our work permit.

This is our experience, can't guarantee it for everyone!
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

Yeah we came in January - got work permit at POE and kids were named on my permit, took this too school and no problem - school couldn't have been nicer.
Anne
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mooredog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ayse68
Does anyone know, if children can get free schooling in Alberta if we are on TWP? Ive heard that in Vancouver, you have to pay £10000, per year for each child.
We were told by the school that we needed to get study permits for the kids so we got them to be on the safe side, also we have to pay for their schooling, but that's our choice as they are at a catholic school to which you have to pay because it's not government funded, don't quote me on this but I'm sure it's the same all over Canada. It's no where near £10k either, it's approx $5k for our three kids per year, don't worry if you have more than three kids as you only pay for the first 3 then it's free for the rest! I know they're generous to a fault.
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mooredog
We were told by the school that we needed to get study permits for the kids so we got them to be on the safe side, also we have to pay for their schooling, but that's our choice as they are at a catholic school to which you have to pay because it's not government funded, don't quote me on this but I'm sure it's the same all over Canada. It's no where near £10k either, it's approx $5k for our three kids per year, don't worry if you have more than three kids as you only pay for the first 3 then it's free for the rest! I know they're generous to a fault.
Hi my kids are also attending catholic schools, and we are not paying anything, and as far as i know it is the same all over Alberta, unless the school is private - hope this helps

Anne
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:51 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsGod
We came to Sherwood Park in March and did not get study permits for kids aged 14 and 11. The Immigration Officer put on our work permits that the kids were entitled to schooling and we have had no problems at all. Have not been asked for a study permit, one of the schools did not even ask to see our work permit.

This is our experience, can't guarantee it for everyone!
yup - same for us in Van
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point

Before leaving UK i also checked with the local education authority about study permits. I was told my kids wouldn't need them and that if the schools requested them then i was to refer them to her.

Maybe worth you doing that yourself before leaving to put your mind at rest.