British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Is there a change to the fast track of TWP to PR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/there-change-fast-track-twp-pr-587505/)

amardan Jan 27th 2009 9:24 pm

Is there a change to the fast track of TWP to PR

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could help with a query I have. A little while ago I heard from some friends who have recently come to Canada on TWP that their Immigration Lawyer based in BC said that they would be unable to fast track their PR, as the a new law had been passed on the 1st Dec that anyone arriving to Canada after that date were no longer able to fast track their TWP's and would have to go another route. Also if they chose not to do this then they would have to wait and sit it out, like they would have had to do in the UK. Also they were told that you didn't have to have a job in the pipeline if it was the skill or trade that they were looking for.:unsure:

Please can anyone shed any light on this situation as my friends are very confused and have already invested a fair bit of money into their PR etc.:unsure:

Much appreciated:thumbsup:

afoks Jan 28th 2009 3:36 am

Re: Is there a change to the fast track of TWP to PR

They asked wrong question, misunderstood the answer or lawyer gave incompetent explanation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp

The changes to eligibility and process are in place since November and apply to all cases submitted on and after Feb 27 2008. Changes have nothing to do with so called "fast track" which was (and still is) just a processing priority, nothing else.

rossi1 Jan 28th 2009 1:06 pm

We sent our full Pr application to london in october o8 asking for it to be fastracked as we our already in canada on the workpermit.

I emailed chc london the other week, to ask if they are still fastracking these applications, as we hadnt heard anything from them.

They replied back saying, yes they are being dealt with on a priority basis still and will be in touch in due course. Think they are taking approx 6 - 12mths.

Monkey Puzzle Jan 28th 2009 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by rossi1 (Post 7221741)
yes they are being dealt with on a priority basis still and will be in touch in due course.

Oh, that's good news ..:thumbsup: We sent ours to be fast-tracked in December. Thanks for sharing the info!

Brownstar Jan 28th 2009 5:26 pm

I sent mine in November but have not heard anything from CHC nor have I heard back following the email I sent 2 weeks ago today :frown:

robjmitch74 Jan 28th 2009 6:08 pm

This is a very interesting question and I have a further question to add.

We arrived in November 2008 on TWPs and are looking to apply for permanent residency. As we both have jobs then I believe that we should apply under the skilled workers class, however, my question is when should the application be submitted. Obviously to apply under this class we need to have been working for 12 months, so do we need to wait until the 12 months are up and then apply or should we apply now on the basis it takes 6-12 months to process.

I've tried looking on various websites and can't find any guidance regarding the time to apply. As we are looking to settle permanently and want to hold off on big items of expense (such as a house purchase) until we have permanent residency then the sooner we can apply the better but I also don't want to jeopardise this or future applications by sending it to early!

Thanks

Rob

lucieg Jan 28th 2009 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by robjmitch74 (Post 7222576)
This is a very interesting question and I have a further question to add.

We arrived in November 2008 on TWPs and are looking to apply for permanent residency. As we both have jobs then I believe that we should apply under the skilled workers class, however, my question is when should the application be submitted. Obviously to apply under this class we need to have been working for 12 months, so do we need to wait until the 12 months are up and then apply or should we apply now on the basis it takes 6-12 months to process.

I've tried looking on various websites and can't find any guidance regarding the time to apply. As we are looking to settle permanently and want to hold off on big items of expense (such as a house purchase) until we have permanent residency then the sooner we can apply the better but I also don't want to jeopardise this or future applications by sending it to early!

Thanks

Rob

If you have TWP's that were either lmo exempt or you have a permit and a positive LMO for you don't need to wait for 12 months to apply. Apply now with arranged employment (a permanent offer from your employer)

Monkey Puzzle Jan 28th 2009 6:26 pm

Quote from the WIKI re the fast track PR process.

"* In order to be eligible for this application process, you have to be in Canada on a permit that allows you to be in this country for at least a year.

* Please note, however, that you do NOT have to wait a year following your arrival in Canada before you can initiate this application process."

:thumbsup:

All the info you need is at http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fast_T...ication-Canada

Go for it!

gibsonslanding Jan 28th 2009 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 7222418)
I sent mine in November but have not heard anything from CHC nor have I heard back following the email I sent 2 weeks ago today :frown:

you and me both brownstar, you and me both......still ever hopefull, especially after a couple of telephone calls, so don't lose hope......xx....i'm still going in a week and a half, it'll arrive in da post the day after i've left...lol....