Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Are there any US citizen to Canada landed imigrant here?

Are there any US citizen to Canada landed imigrant here?

Old Feb 5th 2002, 4:24 am
Lorink

I would just like to know if has been anyone in this group who has or knows of somone
who used the landed immigrant procedures to be excepted to live in canada? Was this
because of a job offer in canada? or did you marry a canadian and work across the
border in the states "like in my case?"

What about the interview prosses if any?

James

Old Feb 5th 2002, 9:44 am
Meg Lamont

Hi James,

I immigrated from the United States, as a US Citizen. I came under the independent
category and was successful. I have a 4 year degree in Management Information Systems
& a minor in Business Administration. My former job was a Sr. MIS Technical Analyst.
(Fancy name for level 2 computer support) Anyhow, I came to Canada without a job
offer on my own. I did not require an interview and I did not have any problems with
my application as far as I know. I sent my completed application in to Buffalo in
June 1999 and a few months later, I got my medical forms, in December I had my
medical in Canada (only 100 bucks there vs. the 300 in the states) and then I got my
landing documents in January of 2000. Landed in October, just flew up to land then,
returned to St. Louis to pack my house, quit my job and moved in November 2000. My
fiance' at the time and I just got married in September 2001.

It is possible to get here on your own. When we, my fiance' and I looked at the
different ways to come and after reading posts in the news group, the best way for
me was the independent route. Yes, I think the sponsored way would have worked, but
there are a lot of things that were rather scary. First off, the sponsor is
responsible for you financially for the next 10 years. That's a pretty hefty
responsibility. I had read a post where the people had gotten divorced and then the
person that was sponsored re-married, and the original sponsor was still
financially responsible for that person, even though she had re-married. That's
pretty scary. This way, independent, no strings attached, no requirements to get
married in 90 days, no immigration officials snooping around to find out if the
relationship is genuine.

I know the wait is not any fun, believe me, I've been there, done that, but in the
end, it's all worth it. I originally was going to work across the border on a daily
basis, Ogdensburg is only 1/2 hour from where I live, and I'm really glad I did not,
the bridge there is 3:50 each way these days. Even the frequent pass is not all that
much of a discount. I don't live anywhere there is just land to cross, seems that all
the states access is via a bridge.

Well, hope this helps.

Good luck!

Meg

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I would just like to know if has been anyone in this group who has or[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > of somone who used the landed immigrant procedures to be excepted to[/usenetquote2]
live
    >
[usenetquote2]> > canada? Was this because of a job offer in canada? or did you marry a canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and work across the border in the states "like in my case?"[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > What about the interview prosses if any?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > James[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 5th 2002, 9:50 am
Roy

Hello! I am in the middle of it right now. I am from the US and married to a
Canadian.

I am waiting (very impatiently) for an interview, but it is not generally supposed to
be required. Are you applying from within Canada or through Buffalo?

I am sure that a lot depends on how and where and why you applied.

Roy

>
knows
    >
in
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 5th 2002, 11:09 pm
Minnietaur

I'm in the middle of the process. I'm originally from Atlanta, met and fell in love
with a guy from Vancouver, BC. We married in January 2001, and finally (after many
false starts) ;-/ sent our application off on 31 December 2001.

I don't know much about the interview process, but I have an entire drawer in our
file cabinet dedicated to documenting our relationship.
    >

-- Cecily http://canadaimmigration.fiftyeleven.com Look ma! No ads!

wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 15th 2002, 9:05 am
Ethan More

Default Re: Are there any US citizen to Canada landed imigrant here?

Folks:

What's the rational of having American passport/ green card and moving to Canada? Pls
comment! I would appreciate your response taking into account: job growth, family,
kids, financial, happiness, stress level,etc.

Regards

Ethan

MinnieTaur <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<060220020409495751%[email protected]>...
    > I'm in the middle of the process. I'm originally from Atlanta, met and fell in love
    > with a guy from Vancouver, BC. We married in January 2001, and finally (after many
    > false starts) ;-/ sent our application off on 31 December 2001.
    >
    > I don't know much about the interview process, but I have an entire drawer in our
    > file cabinet dedicated to documenting our relationship.
    >
    >
    > -- Cecily http://canadaimmigration.fiftyeleven.com Look ma! No ads!
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, lorink <@.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I would just like to know if has been anyone in this group who has or knows of
    > > somone who used the landed immigrant procedures to be excepted to live in canada?
    > > Was this because of a job offer in canada? or did you marry a canadian and work
    > > across the border in the states "like in my case?"
    > >
    > > What about the interview prosses if any?
    > >
    > >
    > > James

Old Feb 16th 2002, 2:25 am
Hani

Default Re: Are there any US citizen to Canada landed imigrant here?

Well, As far as family, kids, happiness, and stress level, all those are MUCH better
in Canada. Take the kids as an example and compare crime, school violence/shootings,
... etc. If I had the choice, I would definitely raise my family in Canada. Canada is
a much friendlier and safer place to live in. And the Canadian people are way nicer
than people in the USA. I am not making up stories here, I am a foreigner to both
countries, but having been to both I am stating what I have seen as a 3rd party.

Job growth and financial factors are probably better in the USA, no doubt about that.
But this does not mean that one cannot achieve job and financial growth in Canada. I
know people who made it in Canada and became (really) millionnaires, starting from
zero (literally zero)!

[email protected] (Ethan More) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Folks:
    >
    > What's the rational of having American passport/ green card and moving to Canada?
    > Pls comment! I would appreciate your response taking into account: job growth,
    > family, kids, financial, happiness, stress level,etc.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ethan
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > MinnieTaur <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<060220020409495751%[email protected]>...
    > > I'm in the middle of the process. I'm originally from Atlanta, met and fell in
    > > love with a guy from Vancouver, BC. We married in January 2001, and finally
    > > (after many false starts) ;-/ sent our application off on 31 December 2001.
    > >
    > > I don't know much about the interview process, but I have an entire drawer in our
    > > file cabinet dedicated to documenting our relationship.
    > >
    > >
    > > -- Cecily http://canadaimmigration.fiftyeleven.com Look ma! No ads!
    > >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, lorink <@.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I would just like to know if has been anyone in this group who has or knows of
    > > > somone who used the landed immigrant procedures to be excepted to live in
    > > > canada? Was this because of a job offer in canada? or did you marry a canadian
    > > > and work across the border in the states "like in my case?"
    > > >
    > > > What about the interview prosses if any?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > James