Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ARE THERE ANY COUPLES(NOT MARRIED) WHO HAVE APPLIED FOR CANADA?

ARE THERE ANY COUPLES(NOT MARRIED) WHO HAVE APPLIED FOR CANADA?

Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

krissi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARE THERE ANY COUPLES(NOT MARRIED) WHO HAVE APPLIED FOR CANADA?

WHAT TYPE OF APPLICATION HAVE YOU GONE FOR?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ARE THERE ANY COUPLES(NOT MARRIED) WHO HAVE APPLIED FOR CANADA?

if you are common law then you can go for common law.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimchick
if you are common law then you can go for common law.
I don't think either of them are Canadian.........
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

krissi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't think either of them are Canadian.........
we both live in northern ireland
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I'm still slightly confused by the question though - what difference does it make if you are common-law or married? It's still the same process everybody on here goes through and there are many, many different routes to choose from depending on individual circumstances - being in a common-law relationship makes no difference to that!

For instance, I'm going via my husband's intra-company transfer. We are married but it would be the same if we weren't - but how would me answering your question with that be relevant to you?!? Other people that have gone together on one application due to common-law sponsorship may have very different circumstances to you so I don't see how their answer will help!

Good luck with whichever route you choose, I'm sure you already have but just in case, do check out the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will tell you about all the different ways to get to Canada so can see which one will suit you best.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

BritishBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Seeing as we're on the topic...

Are there hard & fast rules about common law partners? I read somewhere that you had to prove that you were in a relationship with bank statements and things, but surely that doesn't prove much? You can get a bank account together with someone you don't even know. Do your bank statements have to go back a certain length of time or something like that?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:58 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Christmasoompa is right - whatever stream you apply under its the same process as if you were married. In Canada the right not to marry is constitutionally protected so they cannot insist you be married.

But if you claim you are common-law partners you have to:

- have been living together for at least 12 months
- provide more supporting documents that someone who is married

Some people show joint bank statements but that wouldnt usually be the only piece of evidence. Visa officers want to know that even though you arent married you are in a "marraige-like" relationship. So generally that means you have joint finances (joint saving and bank account), possibly joint debts, joint ownership of assests, live at the same address, have joint routines and go on joint outings together, are regarded publicly by others as a couple.

So a typical pack of supporting evidence might include a joint bank statement, joint mortgage or lease, photographs from your holidays and family events such as weddings showing you together, letters or wedding invites from firneds addressed to both of you to demonstrate the sender recognised you as a couple, letters or statutory declarations from friends/relatives attesting to your relationship etc.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant future

We are in process at the moment (just received passport requests) and applied individually PNP.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BritishBunny
You can get a bank account together with someone you don't even know.
Of course you can, but the other reason for using joint bank statements (as well as NSPaul's point about it proving 'marriage like' commitment) is that it would have both names on it at the same address. Thereby being another way of proving a couple are living together.

Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tommyboy17
We are in process at the moment (just received passport requests) and applied individually PNP.
Do you mean that you applied individually, but are now common-law because you have lived together for a year? Oops - that could be a big problem! When your visas are issued they will need to show you as common-law partners or you could lose them for misrepresentation. I hope that is not your situation, but if it is you had best advise CHC London that you are now common-law and quote your file numbers.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Dollydd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by krissi
WHAT TYPE OF APPLICATION HAVE YOU GONE FOR?
I've sent you a PM with some info.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

chutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nicechutley is just really nice

My partner and I applied individually as at the time we had only been together for 6 months and were not eligible for a common-law application. Since then we have lived together for a year and have been a 'couple' for three years. [Interestsing to note that in that time my ex-wife has lived with one bloke and has now married someone else so marriage isn't the big commitment it used toi be!]

Two and a half years later my 'partner/girlfriend/woman' has recieved a 90-day update letter and we are in the process of asking the CHC what to do next... We have written to clarify whether we abandon one application and pursue hers - as her 90-day letter is through - or we combine the two applications. Haven't had an answer yet but will post when we do.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:55 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

we have applied under skilled worker and we aint married , we have just had to prove our "de facto " relationship ... which involved getting statements from various peeps who know us to vouch that we have been together x amount of yrs
we also sent a few pics from various yrs too
hth x
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

Originally Posted by chutley
My partner and I applied individually as at the time we had only been together for 6 months and were not eligible for a common-law application. Since then we have lived together for a year and have been a 'couple' for three years. [Interestsing to note that in that time my ex-wife has lived with one bloke and has now married someone else so marriage isn't the big commitment it used toi be!]

Two and a half years later my 'partner/girlfriend/woman' has recieved a 90-day update letter and we are in the process of asking the CHC what to do next... We have written to clarify whether we abandon one application and pursue hers - as her 90-day letter is through - or we combine the two applications. Haven't had an answer yet but will post when we do.
Good - you have done the right thing.