Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Chances of visa extension with this job?

Chances of visa extension with this job?

Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chances of visa extension with this job?

Hey guys,

I've got until the middle of may next year before my IEC visa runs out.

Currently I'm working with a firm as a billing analyst in toronto on a 1 year contract (which finishes in June, but will clearly have to end in may)

anyway, it's pretty much run of the mill finance boring stuff (unfortunately what my degree was in), and all the successful PR applicants I've seen on these forums, or even met in person have always been engineers, or IT pros.

I'm gonna apply for PR this month anyway, but I am not expecting to get it due to the work I've done probably not been high skill enough, but what do you think the chances of getting a visa extension would be? Or even a transfer?

By transfer I mean, they're a huge American firm, and maybe there's opportunities there.

I've taken on more and more responsibilities, and within the next month it'll get to financial reporting which I think would be "skilled enough" .

But for a visa extension (I have no idea what the standard duration is, 6 months? a year?) do you have to already be working in skilled work?

Just looking for some clarity on that really, I refuse to go back and work in the UK ever again... even if I have to get a one way ticket to that Island owned by the old guy with all those turtles and seek refuge there.

The only back up plan right now is, activate the visa for NZ for a year while I figure out how to get back to Canada, as I am already expecting to not be able to stay

Thanks in advance, sorry if the details are lacking!

Edit: I don't have any kids or anyone dependent on me, and I'm still under 30

Also just read that you can apply to extend your IEC if you're a young professional or international co-op participant. what really qualifies you as a YP these days? just working in white collar work, or having professional designations?

After a bit more reading it looks like LMIA is the closest thing to what I mean, which I guess could be possible. But if I was able to make myself indispensable with the firm, to where they would go through the LMIA hoops, and my visa ran out while that was going on,presumably the whole Implied status thing would allow me to keep working here while all that is being processed?

Although thats majorly simplified.

Last edited by WildfireV2; Oct 13th 2017 at 2:57 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of visa extension with this job?

When you say you are applying this month do you mean you are in the EE pool and have received an ITA?

Applying for PR has nothing to do with your job provided you have either the one year skilled (NOC code 0,A or B) to qualify for CEC or score the minimum 67 points to qualify for FSW and have enough CRS points to be selected from the EE pool.

You need to check the following:
Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay? - this tells you if you are eligible.
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

Your current employer can support the application and give you additional points if they offer you a permanent job.

The timeline for PR will all depend on how long it takes to get selected from the pool (which depends on how high your CRS score is). After you are selected bargain on 6 months for a decision. However, if you are selected and have applied for PR you can then apply for a bridging work permit to tie you over till a decision is made on your PR application.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

IEC Canada doesn't do the YP or the International Co Op Internship so they are out.
Its either PR via EE or an LMIA.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
When you say you are applying this month do you mean you are in the EE pool and have received an ITA?

Applying for PR has nothing to do with your job provided you have either the one year skilled (NOC code 0,A or B) to qualify for CEC or score the minimum 67 points to qualify for FSW and have enough CRS points to be selected from the EE pool.

You need to check the following:
Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay? - this tells you if you are eligible.
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

Your current employer can support the application and give you additional points if they offer you a permanent job.

The timeline for PR will all depend on how long it takes to get selected from the pool (which depends on how high your CRS score is). After you are selected bargain on 6 months for a decision. However, if you are selected and have applied for PR you can then apply for a bridging work permit to tie you over till a decision is made on your PR application.
Thanks for the reply.

When I said I was gonna apply, what I mean is get myself into the pool, seen as I'm not even at that point yet.

Someone told me that regardless of EE, you must meet the 67 points for FSW anyway, which I honestly don't even know if i do yet, as it's dependent on whether the duties i've done in work over the last few years in the UK and Canada, count as skilled or not.

I mean, presumably the 7 months I have left on my visa are nowhere near enough time to get PR, as I expect even if you got picked, the process time + the time it could take to get picked could be upto a year right?

So I guess LMIA is really the only route? I'm pretty much banking on either being able to get some sort of process started soon, and things falling into place by may or at least getting the bridging thing you mentioned.

Or, just saving as much cash as possible so that I can go to NZ for a year while i wait on stuff for canada.

The only downside of the second one really is that I'd lose the potential backing of an employer and it seems wiser to try and use the company I work for, while I'm still here working for them.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Or just marry a Canadian
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or just marry a Canadian
As much as I joke about that to my friends, using the old charm and going up to forest hill to charm some old white lady into getting me a visa.

I know I couldn't marry someone in a sham marriage situation, plus I know it's a few years before I'm ready to settle, at least... I'm too busy being a single degenerate in the city haha.

I was thinking about chatting with my boss at work, and seeing if their intent when the contract finishes (one month after my visa expires) is to offer me permanent or just let me go.

At least if I know what the situation is there, it'll give me more of an idea of the options that I have I suppose, because if they're intent is to find someone else then clearly LMIA is out of the picture, if they'd wanna offer me permanent maybe that makes things slightly easier.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As the LMIA process has changed its become harder for an employer to secure one to hire a foreign worker. Sure those on IEC do get jobs and then at the end of the 2 yr work permit quite a few want to stay. Your boss might want to keep you but if no PR status its hard for them unless they flat out lie to ESDC who issue LMIA's.

As you stated you are not highly skilled and Im sure many Canadians do the same job as you do so its unlikely the employer can say to ESDC that we couldn't find a qualified candidate or nobody applied for the job.
If you don't meet the EE criteria for PR via the routes available you just might have to resign yourself to leaving Canada.
I won't comment on how many sham marriages occur between Canadians and those who are not Canadian.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're very confused! Maybe have another read of your previous threads?

Anybody in a skilled occupation can get PR if they're scoring highly enough, you don't have to be in a certain level job or high skilled. Bear in mind skilled jobs can mean engineers etc, but can also mean store managers, administrators etc. So you don't have to be in a high flying job to qualify.

No point in you paying for your IELTS and ECA if you're not even sure if you qualify as a FSW, so check that yourself first - Selection factors: federal skilled workers assume max points for English now as a native speaker.

If you do score 67 or more, then check your CRS score - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

And yes PR can be obtained within 7 months, although if you've not got your ECA and IELTS then you won't be able to apply for a couple of months. 6 months is the processing time for most apps, and remember that once you've got to the first stage of your PR app processing, you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit.

HTH.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As the LMIA process has changed its become harder for an employer to secure one to hire a foreign worker. Sure those on IEC do get jobs and then at the end of the 2 yr work permit quite a few want to stay. Your boss might want to keep you but if no PR status its hard for them unless they flat out lie to ESDC who issue LMIA's.

As you stated you are not highly skilled and Im sure many Canadians do the same job as you do so its unlikely the employer can say to ESDC that we couldn't find a qualified candidate or nobody applied for the job.
If you don't meet the EE criteria for PR via the routes available you just might have to resign yourself to leaving Canada.
I won't comment on how many sham marriages occur between Canadians and those who are not Canadian.
That's what I'm afraid of, and honestly it pisses me off really, just the idea that you can find a place that you know you want to build a life, but bureaucratic bullshit means you have to get lost.

The guy on turtle island has it all figured out.

One thing, when you said about "if you don't have PR status, it'd be hard for your employer"

When you say PR status, does that mean just being in the pool and on the system? or does that mean that you've already been invited to apply for PR?

That seems kind of ridiculous that you'd already need to have PR status, if you had a valid job offer already (in that example), I thought having a valid job offer increases your score and helps you attain PR status?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WildfireV2
That's what I'm afraid of, and honestly it pisses me off really, just the idea that you can find a place that you know you want to build a life, but bureaucratic bullshit means you have to get lost.

The guy on turtle island has it all figured out.

One thing, when you said about "if you don't have PR status, it'd be hard for your employer"

When you say PR status, does that mean just being in the pool and on the system? or does that mean that you've already been invited to apply for PR?

That seems kind of ridiculous that you'd already need to have PR status, if you had a valid job offer already (in that example), I thought having a valid job offer increases your score and helps you attain PR status?
No it means having been granted PR and actually landed in your case as you are already working in Canada. Once that work permit expires to carry on working you either need another valid work permit and IEC ones cannot be extended so it would mean a new one by way of LMIA or BOWP which you don't qualify for.
Being in a pool means nothing to you as you need the ITA to secure PR status or qualifying for the BOWP.
And if you think Canada is bad try doing what you want to do in the USA.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Someone told me that regardless of EE, you must meet the 67 points for FSW anyway, which I honestly don't even know if i do yet, as it's dependent on whether the duties i've done in work over the last few years in the UK and Canada, count as skilled or not.
Depends if you have 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada. If you do then you may qualify for CEC and wouldn't need to the 67 points to qualify for FSW. What is your current NOC code?

Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

I mean, presumably the 7 months I have left on my visa are nowhere near enough time to get PR, as I expect even if you got picked, the process time + the time it could take to get picked could be upto a year right?
Could be but if you are selected from the pool and have made your application for PR then you could be eligible for a bridging work permit which would allow you to stay and work whilst a decision on application was being made. I.e. as long as you had applied within 7 months you would be ok.

So I guess LMIA is really the only route? I'm pretty much banking on either being able to get some sort of process started soon, and things falling into place by may or at least getting the bridging thing you mentioned.
As stated by others unless you have skills, knowledge or experience that is rare in Canada or you live in somewhere pretty remote this is probably going to be a non-starter.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Depends if you have 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada. If you do then you may qualify for CEC and wouldn't need to the 67 points to qualify for FSW. What is your current NOC code?

Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

Could be but if you are selected from the pool and have made your application for PR then you could be eligible for a bridging work permit which would allow you to stay and work whilst a decision on application was being made. I.e. as long as you had applied within 7 months you would be ok.

As stated by others unless you have skills, knowledge or experience that is rare in Canada or you live in somewhere pretty remote this is probably going to be a non-starter.
I definitely don't at the moment, I might have that by the end of my visa which clearly would mean I'd have to leave anyway, but it still depends if the duties I do are classed as "skilled" ya know?

I dont know what category I'd be under as of yet as the job involves different facets so i guess I've gotta try match up the duties I do with the correct NOC.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I definitely don't at the moment, I might have that by the end of my visa which clearly would mean I'd have to leave anyway, but it still depends if the duties I do are classed as "skilled" ya know?
So try this. What is your CRS score? IF you are coming up high enough then it would be worth getting language testing and other documentation together before applying so you can hit the ground running and shorten the period between entering pool and getting selected. If it is too low then you are defiantly looking at probably having to leave Canada and apply to come back via CEC.

I dont know what category I'd be under as of yet as the job involves different facets so i guess I've gotta try match up the duties I do with the correct NOC.
That's it match up with the best description of duties and responsibilities
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

So try this. What is your CRS score? IF you are coming up high enough then it would be worth getting language testing and other documentation together before applying so you can hit the ground running and shorten the period between entering pool and getting selected. If it is too low then you are defiantly looking at probably having to leave Canada and apply to come back via CEC.

That's it match up with the best description of duties and responsibilities
Hmm, I think the last time I did the CRS tool thing i was at 416-420

As far as language testing goes, which one is best? CELPIP? Also what is ITA and EL something, whatever the other acronym you used earlier?

thanks for all the help so far btw

What's the other main documentation I could get together? like passport, criminal background check (does the one I used for IEC count still? ) , medical checks, and that sort of stuff?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmm, I think the last time I did the CRS tool thing i was at 416-420

As far as language testing goes, which one is best? CELPIP? Also what is ITA and EL something, whatever the other acronym you used earlier?

thanks for all the help so far btw

What's the other main documentation I could get together? like passport, criminal background check (does the one I used for IEC count still? ) , medical checks, and that sort of stuff?
ITA = invitation to apply
ECA = education credential assessment

Number 1 work out for NOC code as that is what everything hinges on right now. Assuming it is skilled when do you have 1 year and how far off is your work permit expiry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.