British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   TFW Program changes includes capped numbers, increased fines, and increased fees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/tfw-program-changes-includes-capped-numbers-increased-fines-increased-fees-837028/)

SchnookoLoly Jun 20th 2014 7:14 pm

TFW Program changes includes capped numbers, increased fines, and increased fees

Temporary foreign worker changes cap numbers, lift ban on fast-food outlets - Politics - CBC News

christmasoompa Jun 20th 2014 7:21 pm

Re: TFW Program changes includes capped numbers, increased fines, and increased fees

Blimey, $1000 fees, that's going to put a lot of employers off!

Thanks for posting Schnooks.

:)

SchnookoLoly Jun 20th 2014 7:23 pm

Re: TFW Program changes includes capped numbers, increased fines, and increased fees

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11310024)
Blimey, $1000 fees, that's going to put a lot of employers off!

Thanks for posting Schnooks.

:)

Yeah that's huge...

The summary points for those too lazy:

--Barring employers from hiring low-wage temporary foreign workers in regions where the unemployment rate is above six per cent.

--A cap of 10 per cent on the number of low-wage temporary foreign workers employers can hire.

--An increase from $275 to $1,000 in the application fee employers must pay per worker requested, effective immediately.

--Fines of up to $100,000 for employers who abuse the program, starting in fall.

--An increase in the number and scope of inspections: 1 in 4 employers will be inspected each year.

--Additional funding for the Canada Border Services Agency so it can pursue more criminal investigations.

--Posting the names of employers who receive permission to hire foreign workers.

--Making public the number of positions approved through the program on a quarterly basis.

--Reducing the amount of time a temporary foreign worker can be employed in Canada, to two years from four.

PMM Jun 20th 2014 7:40 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11310026)
Yeah that's huge...

The summary points for those too lazy:

--Barring employers from hiring low-wage temporary foreign workers in regions where the unemployment rate is above six per cent.

--A cap of 10 per cent on the number of low-wage temporary foreign workers employers can hire.

--An increase from $275 to $1,000 in the application fee employers must pay per worker requested, effective immediately.

--Fines of up to $100,000 for employers who abuse the program, starting in fall.

--An increase in the number and scope of inspections: 1 in 4 employers will be inspected each year.

--Additional funding for the Canada Border Services Agency so it can pursue more criminal investigations.

--Posting the names of employers who receive permission to hire foreign workers.

--Making public the number of positions approved through the program on a quarterly basis.

--Reducing the amount of time a temporary foreign worker can be employed in Canada, to two years from four.

1. One interesting line that didn't receive much press is:

" improving the balance in the number of young Canadians and young people from partner countries participating in working holidays, professional exchanges and international co-op through International Experience Canada; and conducting a thorough review of LMIA-exempt IMP streams to identify whether some streams should require an LMIA. "

christmasoompa Jun 20th 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 11310038)
Hi

1. One interesting line that didn't receive much press is:

" improving the balance in the number of young Canadians and young people from partner countries participating in working holidays, professional exchanges and international co-op through International Experience Canada; and conducting a thorough review of LMIA-exempt IMP streams to identify whether some streams should require an LMIA. "

What's a LMIA? :confused:

Limp Muscles in Action?
Lonely Men Interfere Always?
Llamas Meet In Atmosphere?

Enquiring minds would like to know. :D

Intocanada Jun 20th 2014 8:02 pm

Can anybody tell me what would happen to existing positive lmo. Can I still apply WP using my lmo or do a lmia has to be filed?

grant r Jun 20th 2014 8:05 pm

hows this gonna affect truckers wanting to come over next april/may?

neilg14 Jun 20th 2014 8:30 pm

How do they define low wage TFW's??

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 20th 2014 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 11310108)
How do they define low wage TFW's??

"Low wages are defined as anything below the provincial median; high wages are anything above it."

Jobless rate will govern use of low-wage Temporary Foreign Worker Program - National | Globalnews.ca

Looks like the local Timmie's is going to have to hire local now, unemployment is above 6% around here.

Former Lancastrian Jun 20th 2014 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11310048)
What's a LMIA? :confused:

Limp Muscles in Action?
Lonely Men Interfere Always?
Llamas Meet In Atmosphere?

Enquiring minds would like to know. :D

Labour Market Impact Assessment
New Measures Introduced to Strengthen Advantages and Benefits for Canadians

Basically a renaming of the LMO.

Former Lancastrian Jun 20th 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Intocanada (Post 11310067)
Can anybody tell me what would happen to existing positive lmo. Can I still apply WP using my lmo or do a lmia has to be filed?

LMOs suspended under the moratorium are now unsuspended. As long as the LMO is still valid and has not expired, the prospective temporary foreign worker(s) named on that LMO may submit work permit applications to CIC, or, if eligible to apply on entry into Canada, to a Canada Border Services Agency port of entry.
Temporary Foreign Worker Program - Moratorium | ESDC

Former Lancastrian Jun 20th 2014 9:46 pm

Here is the link to the full document and some background links in brief.
Take time to read the links as this might answer any questions you may have

The document in full
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei...auling_TFW.pdf

quick overview links
Government of Canada Overhauls Temporary Foreign Worker Program Ensuring Canadians are first in line for available jobs - Canada News Centre
Temporary Foreign Worker Program - Moratorium | ESDC
New Measures Introduced to Strengthen Advantages and Benefits for Canadians

scrubbedexpat109 Jun 20th 2014 10:13 pm

Thank you for posting those links.

Not 100% sure, but suspect this means I can't apply to renew my TWP next year when it expires. Previously I understand I could apply once, not so sure now.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11310193)

Former Lancastrian Jun 20th 2014 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by al8565 (Post 11310224)
Thank you for posting those links.

Not 100% sure, but suspect this means I can't apply to renew my TWP next year when it expires. Previously I understand I could apply once, not so sure now.

That will depend on your job and wage and if you require the new LMIA.
From the full document

Reducing the Length of Time a Temporary Foreign Worker Can Work in Canada
To ensure foreign workers are coming in on a truly temporary basis and that the program is used as a last and limited resort, and to encourage employers to make even greater efforts to hire and train Canadian workers before seeking temporary foreign workers, the Government will reduce how long a temporary foreign worker in the low-wage stream can work in Canada . This measure will not apply to temporary foreign workers currently in Canada on valid work permits .

scrubbedexpat109 Jun 20th 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks again. We may be ok to renew then.

I read on CBC:
"Reducing the amount of time a temporary foreign worker can be employed in Canada, to two years from four"

So made me unsure. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11310247)
That will depend on your job and wage and if you require the new LMIA.
From the full document

Reducing the Length of Time a Temporary Foreign Worker Can Work in Canada
To ensure foreign workers are coming in on a truly temporary basis and that the program is used as a last and limited resort, and to encourage employers to make even greater efforts to hire and train Canadian workers before seeking temporary foreign workers, the Government will reduce how long a temporary foreign worker in the low-wage stream can work in Canada . This measure will not apply to temporary foreign workers currently in Canada on valid work permits .