Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Work Visa vs Immigration?

Wikiposts

Temporary Work Visa vs Immigration?

Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Dan Reed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary Work Visa vs Immigration?

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I would not pay for anything until you check your points are above 450-460.

I would not rule out the IEC as this would give you a year of work experience in Canada (and crucial extra points) and you can see if you like it or not.
I think the issue with the IEC is that I couldn't bring my wife and son with me. Also, I'm 30 in a few months so that clock is ticking!

I did have a look at the points system and from what I could make out I did hit over 450 (but need to do the test on my laptop and not phone!).

This needs a bit more research and conversations, I think, but I really appreciate all your input.

The alternative I guess would be for me to move to a different company in the UK that has ties in Canada (e.g Amex or HSBC).
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan Reed
I think the issue with the IEC is that I couldn't bring my wife and son with me. Also, I'm 30 in a few months so that clock is ticking!
Yes you can? Your wife would even get an open work permit for the same duration once you've got yourself a 'skilled' job on an IEC.

And remember it's 30 and under - so you've got until you turn 31.

I did have a look at the points system and from what I could make out I did hit over 450 (but need to do the test on my laptop and not phone!).
Fab. Do double check it, but if you're comfortably over 450, then that's the way I'd go personally. IEC is great if there's no other option or you just want to try Canada out, but if you score enough to get PR and you're 100% sure Canada is for you, then I'd go straight for that with a family.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 5:15 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I must have missed the bit about your wife and child.

Probably better then if you can go permanently then

best of luck