Wikiposts

Temporary work permits

Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Paul H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary work permits

Does anyone know the time frame you have from receicing a temp work permit to landing in destination port?
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:26 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work permits

Originally Posted by Paul H
Does anyone know the time frame you have from receicing a temp work permit to landing in destination port?
From receiving your permit to landing would be about 7 hours to Toronto and a bit more for the west ?!?!?!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get the actual permit until you arrive in Canada.

I think the sequence is - get LMO from employer (you might be able to go to Canada straight away with this and skip the rest?) then apply for TWP (plus permits for family if necessary) and if this is okay you receive a letter from CHC. You present this letter to Canadian Immigration when you arrive and they print out the TWP and put it in your passport.

I'm not aware of any time limit on receipt of the letter from CHC and arriving in Canada to get the TWP. However, I think the end date of the TWP isn't set by when you arrive in Canada but rather the date of the letter from CHC. In my case what should have been a 3 year TWP is a 2 year 9 month TWP as I didn't go to Canada until 3 months after receiving the letter.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

julie1072 is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience it took us from January to May 2010 - this was receiving the LMO, completing and sending off required TWP documentation and paying the fees, having the required medicals and then getting an email giving the go ahead to book flights. You get the TWP at the point of entry - Vancouver airport for my partner and I - how long you stay is up to the Immigration Officer but I think it also depends on how long the LMO is valid for (3 years in our case).

Relatively painless process too!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

jamesbulman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add my own experience...

My company arranged all the paperwork for the TWP, I just gave them stuff they needed (Oct '08). They gave me some paperwork to present at immigration upon arriving (Jan '09). The immigration officer issued me a TWP for approximate 21 months, to coincide with when my passport was due to expire (if I had know this I would have renewed my passport before hand, doh!).

I didn't have to have a medical, I guess it depends on what category of TWP your applying for?

I'm currently waiting for a TWP renewal, this one should be for 3 years I'm told.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Depending on your line of work, you might not need a medical, so this will cut the timeline down.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the OP was asking how long he'd have before having to go to Canada after receiving his TWP (or to be precise, letter of authorisation, as previously mentioned)? i.e. does have have to enter within 2 weeks or receiving it, or 6 months etc?

I could be completely wrong though, as I seem to have read the question differently from everybody else!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

We have just sent of our paper work for a TWP,my company did all the paper work as well but apparently they are only issueing TWP for 1 year at a time? and on the paper work it asked when would we like the TWP to start from?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:56 am
Just Joined

julie1072 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I thought the OP was asking how long he'd have before having to go to Canada after receiving his TWP (or to be precise, letter of authorisation, as previously mentioned)? i.e. does have have to enter within 2 weeks or receiving it, or 6 months etc?

I could be completely wrong though, as I seem to have read the question differently from everybody else!

Now I've re-read it, I think you are right! On the email I received from the London office it reads:

"You must arrive in Canada and present this document to an officer at the Port of Entry on or before the earlier of the following two dates: the start date of your submitted employment contract or, if you underwent a medical examination, a year from the date you first visited the designated medical practitioner."

Hope this answers the question!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:10 am
Just Joined

Paul H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Yes, thats what I was trying to ask
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:49 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes, thats what I was trying to ask
Here is what CIC says about LMO validity in OP bulletin 152

Current status

As of May 19, 2009 HRSDC has established a maximum period of six months during which an LMO may be used to apply for a WP. This six month period is defined by the LMO expiry date.
General guidelines

The LMO expiry date is the date by which a WP application must be received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). If an application is received after the LMO expiry date, it is deemed to have expired and can no longer be used to support a WP application. These applications will be refused by CIC, and CBSA will be unable to issue a WP without a valid LMO.
Information now included in the LMO

In the hard copy of an LMO, the expiry date is indicated in the Annex to the LMO under “Opinion Expiry Date”.