Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Work Permit - when you arrive

Wikiposts

Temporary Work Permit - when you arrive

Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough
Default Temporary Work Permit - when you arrive

Folks,

I have had a look in the Wiki and I probably missed this, but here is the scenario.

My wife and I will be arriving, and we hope to have a pre-approved TWP.

I sent in a scan of educational & professional certficates for my wife & I, copy of my CV and scan of our passports for the paperwork, and its an inter-company transfer that I am on. I don't need an LMO as I am in I.T.

We go to customs to get our TWP - how does this work? Obviously we will have our passports on us but do we need to present anything else? If so what and will copies do?

In a nut shell - what happens!!

I ask as I am sure other folk will have gone through this.

Please be gentle - I am just trying to quell my fears.

Thanks,

Mr B.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work Permit - when you arrive

Hope that this answers your questions

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.

I sent in a scan of educational & professional certficates for my wife & I, copy of my CV and scan of our passports for the paperwork, and its an inter-company transfer that I am on. I don't need an LMO as I am in I.T.

If you are applying for a TWP at the POE which I think you are then the above documents will have to be taken with you to the POE. Just show them to the CBSA guy who processes you.

We go to customs to get our TWP - how does this work? Obviously we will have our passports on us but do we need to present anything else? If so what and will copies do?

See above. I was advised to answer only the questions which are put forward to me by our immigration lawyer for our TWP. We applied at Calgary and had no problems at all. I would make sure that you have any documentation regarding being LMO free and then make sure you have originals too of the above.

Thanks,

Mr B.
Mr B

When collecting a TWP at the POE it is a pretty straightforward thing and took me only about 15 minutes to get if my memory serves me correct.

Also dont forget Goods to Follow forms for anything which you will have in your possession and also any good which you are shipping. Probably wont need these with the immigration guys but just in case for customs.

When I came the customs werent bothered about the GTF's on the day I landed but needed them when we were collecting the container. Something to do with being in the country on a TWP.

Good luck everything will be fine my lurve

Gaynor
x
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:15 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Mr B - how long ago did you send off your TWP application? I too have sent mine for an intra-company transfer, will be 3 weeks today since it went off... Hoping it doesn't take much longer, but I see that the average wait time is currently 6 weeks
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:02 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hope that this answers your questions

Also dont forget Goods to Follow forms for anything which you will have in your possession and also any good which you are shipping. Probably wont need these with the immigration guys but just in case for customs.

When I came the customs werent bothered about the GTF's on the day I landed but needed them when we were collecting the container. Something to do with being in the country on a TWP.
x
Just to clarify... if your TWP is for less than three years, you do not need to fill in a GTF form. You do, however, need to have a detailed packing list which must be stamped by the Immigration officer, and this stamped list is required to release your goods from Customs, and collecting your container.