Temporary work permit process

Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

philip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond repute
Default Temporary work permit process

Now that I’ve got my BCPNP nomination certificate is it better to just arrive at the border with all my documents and apply for the temporary work permit there or apply beforehand while still in the UK? My job offer starts Feb 6th so I’m hoping to make that.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary work permit process

Depends if you want to fill out forms online and pay online. You would still need to have the work permit printed on arrival in Canada.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

philip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond reputephilip.arkwright has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, just seen it’s an approximately 15 weeks processing time online so I guess we’ll be doing it at the border. I know this question has been asked before but for my own peace of mind can I check that if I have -
BCPNP nomination certificate
BCPNP Work Support letter
Medical
Police Checks
Proof of application for PR

Then I can arrive at the border with my family and apply for and get a work permit for my wife and I?

Last edited by philip.arkwright; Nov 24th 2018 at 8:03 pm. Reason: change of question
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philip.arkwright
Thanks, just seen it’s an approximately 15 weeks processing time online so I guess we’ll be doing it at the border. I know this question has been asked before but for my own peace of mind can I check that if I have -
BCPNP nomination certificate
BCPNP Work Support letter
Medical
Police Checks
Proof of application for PR

Then I can arrive at the border with my family and apply for and get a work permit for my wife and I?
Those will do just fine plus eTA prior to travel and debit/visa/m/c card or Canadian cash to pay for the work permit which is $155 + $100 if an open work permit.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Those will do just fine plus eTA prior to travel and debit/visa/m/c card or Canadian cash to pay for the work permit which is $155 + $100 if an open work permit.
Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2018, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

One more question, sorry, I’m planning on flying to Vancouver via Calgary as it’s a lot cheaper. Roughly how long should I leave between flights to go through the whole process?
Old Nov 24th 2018, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

One more question, sorry, I’m planning on flying to Vancouver via Calgary as it’s a lot cheaper. Roughly how long should I leave between flights to go through the whole process?
Immigration processing normally takes somewhere between a few minutes and a few hours. There's no way to be more specific, since it all comes down to the precise contours of the day - how many planes came in shortly before you, how many of their passengers needed paperwork, how complicated it is, how well CBSA anticipated the demand. As a Vancouver example, I've walked through the entire thing from plane to passport control to immigration to work permit to baggage to out the front door in under 15 minutes, other people have stories of waiting on the staircase 2 hours after arrival for passport inspection.

Most people normally leave a few hours (3-4) between arrival and onward journey if they need to get paperwork as you can normally kill time with a meal or something in an airport while waiting if it wound up quicker than that. If you're through-ticketed on the same airline and miss a plane due to immigration delays, you'll normally be put on the next available leg free of charge (but if eg you book them as two trips because it's cheaper to buy a ticket A-B then another B-C than to buy a single ticket A-B-C, even with the same stop, you could be liable to buy a new ticket if you miss the second one).
Old Nov 25th 2018, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's BCPNP skilled worker stream, that's Employer supported and the Employer Compliance Fee will need to have been paid by the Employer ahead of time if you're relying on the Work Permit Support letter. A (bridging) open work permit is not possible at border and also not possible unless you've made an application for PR, have a valid work permit with which to "bridge" to and received Acknowledgement of Receipt. Your spouse is eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit once your (employer specific) Work Permit is issued.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 25th 2018 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If it's BCPNP skilled worker stream, that's Employer supported and the Employer Compliance Fee will need to have been paid by the Employer ahead of time if you're relying on the Work Permit Support letter. A (bridging) open work permit is not possible at border and also not possible unless you've made an application for PR, have a valid work permit with which to "bridge" to and received Acknowledgement of Receipt. Your spouse is eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit once your (employer specific) Work Permit is issued.
Thanks. My employer has already paid the compliance fee so that’s all sorted. How do I get an employee specific work permit then if I can’t get one at the border? Though I was under the impression I could and that it was $155 for it and $255 for an open permit at the border.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks. My employer has already paid the compliance fee so that’s all sorted. How do I get an employee specific work permit then if I can’t get one at the border? Though I was under the impression I could and that it was $155 for it and $255 for an open permit at the border.
If the employer has paid the compliance fee get them to send you a copy of the receipt. When CBSA at the border review your documents they will see its been paid and then issue a work permit that is employer specific (not an open work permit) and you just pay the $155.

If the NOC is skill level 0, A or B then your spouse can apply for the SOWP at the same time and pay the $155 + $100 for that work permit which will be an open work permit and not employer specific like yours.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If the employer has paid the compliance fee get them to send you a copy of the receipt. When CBSA at the border review your documents they will see its been paid and then issue a work permit that is employer specific (not an open work permit) and you just pay the $155.

If the NOC is skill level 0, A or B then your spouse can apply for the SOWP at the same time and pay the $155 + $100 for that work permit which will be an open work permit and not employer specific like yours.

Thanks, that’s what I thought.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can apply for an Employer specific work permit at the border provided the Employer compliance fee is paid and you have all the correct paperwork. What you can't get is a (bridging) open work permit. Your spouse can get an Open Work Permit (at the border) that is dependent on yours. I'm assuming you're both British Citizens and so visa exempt..

Spouses of Provincial Nominees who have work permits are eligible to apply for an open work permiit regardless of the skill level of the Provincial Nominee's job: it doesn't matter.

The other cost to factor in is biometrics if not already done since 31 July.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 25th 2018 at 3:36 pm.