Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary work permit, my heads spinning!

Wikiposts

Temporary work permit, my heads spinning!

Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

lilbitofme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary work permit, my heads spinning!

Hi to everyone!

I'm a new poster but have been reading here with interest for months now and have learned a lot (maybe too much hence the spinning head!).

My boyfriend of four years is Canadian and lives in Alberta and we've decided to move in together. I've just returned from a visit and have a job offer from Tim Hortons and I just want to make sure that I'm doing things right here!

I have printed off two forms "Application for a work permit made outside of Canada" and "Application for a study permit made from outside of Canada" which is for my thirteen year old son who will be coming with me.

Can I just confirm what I need to include with the applications, that I have got it right? I have my job offer and Tims are hopefully faxing me the LMO tomorrow, the branch is looking into it, but do I have to have the LMO as Alberta includes food counter attendants and food and beverage servers are listed under the Expedited Labour Market Opinion Pilot Project. I don't have any proof of qualifications for the job as I left school in the days when jobs were easy to come by and the manager at Tims said that I don't need any qualifications.

I'm just wondering if I've missed something out here as it all seems quite simple!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Temporary work permit, my heads spinning!

Hi there and welcome

The job you have been offered does not fall into any of the NOC codes that would allow concurrent processing as far as I can tell. This means you have to wait till you have your LMO approved before you can apply.

Do you have any experience in this type of job? I would expect CIC to want a copy of your resume/CV and I think they would like to see that you have some experience in the field. I don't think its intended that anyone who applies can get a TWP for this type of job or everyone would do it. I may be wrong and hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Good luck

Tom
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

From what the store manager/owner said they get people all of the time on temporary work permits and they don't have to have had any experience as the job can be picked up within hours. It's like the league of nations in that store! The staff shortage is so bad though that he has had 30 vacancies almost continually this year and can't wait for me to start as he knows that I'm intending to stick with it for at least a year unlike a lot who stay a while and then move on with their travels.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

If they can get you the LMO there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Alberta seem to be turning around the eLMOs fairly quickly so you should know soon.

let us know how you get on

Tom
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks Tom,

Just so that it's clear. Do they have to get individual LMO's for each applicant as they're saying that the store has a LMO already, they're just waiting for the person who deals with it to come back from holiday and then they will fax it to me.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

An LMO is specific to an individual but under the LMO scheme the company can apply for a pre approval. This means that they have been vetted as an employer and that the job is real, can't be filled by a Canadian and the wages are sufficient for the job etc.

My understanding is that the person that they choose to hire has to be submitted to complete the LMO process. The person has to be approved as suitable for the job. In my wife's case as a nurse that meant proof of nursing licence eligibility and good standing etc. My wife had to send references and copies of resumes and licence information.

I'm not sure what they would require for this post but I would have a resume ready jut in case.

If they have an eLMO ready to go for the company then it will be completed with your details and sent to HRSDC not to you. An LMO will then be issued in your name and sent to the company. They will then forward this to you in order to make your application.

HTH
Tom
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

you will also need the letter from your sons dad saying that he agrees with you taking him out of the country and copirs of your ex partners passport or picture ID, you may have to have it signed infront of a solicitor too.
I also think that concurrent processing was for occupations underpressure, and you were certain of getting an LMO passed for you, i could be wrong?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Concurrent processing only available to NOC O, A and B according to CIC website here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp

Its not always the most accurate real world source I'll grant you. LMOs are not guranteed AFAIK eLMO guarantees the company for their part of the process but not the person they select to fill the pre-approved post. LMOs are refused see the LMO timeline thread for a few examples. I don't want to seem negative just careful.

Cheers
Tom
Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

timu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the rough

if they hire you as a store manager , then yes, it is qualified occupation. Just being an employee earning minimun wage, has no chance to apply for permanent resident.
however, after living with your bf for a year , he can file a sponsorship for ya and apply as common law partner.